Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Boyue

Notices

Old 08-27-2020, 08:27 AM   #1
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: iPad
Boyue devices and some questions

Good afternoon everyone.

I am considering buying an Alita.

Is Dropbox with app like Dropsync a feasible way to copy ebook files on the Alita?

Will Play Books, my reading app of choice, play well with it?

Can you use Xodo as a reading and annotating PDF app, which can keep synced - with their annotation - with apps like Dropsync?

Anyone uses the Alita with BT external mouse and keyboard?

Thank you very much and have a nice afternoon.

Tiziano

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
tsolignani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 6/14, Like-/Meebook 2/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolignani View Post
Anyone uses the Alita with BT external mouse and keyboard?
I can't comment on the applications - I don't use them.
About the keyboard with mouse: the keyboard is not a problem, but the mouse pointer jumps because the screen is so slow.
I use the pen to move the cursor; I can then mark with the mouse.
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:20 AM   #3
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

Device: Boyue Alita
Alita comes nicely boxed as did your iPad and is a similar size. A big difference is that Alita isn't easy to use and I now use mine as an expensive replacement for a Kindle. I was expecting, naïvely, something slick like my iPad. If you enjoy trying to get things working you will enjoy the Alita but support and problem solving is largely up to you. Boyue have tried to roll out a long overdue Android update for the Mars which has a smaller screen but that isn't going well.
bazz2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
tsolignani
Zealot
tsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisetsolignani juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
I can't comment on the applications - I don't use them.

About the keyboard with mouse: the keyboard is not a problem, but the mouse pointer jumps because the screen is so slow.

I use the pen to move the cursor; I can then mark with the mouse.
Thank you.

I guess then one could use it to write, which is something I do the most... What do you use the external keyboard for, if I may ask?

Thanks again.

Old 08-27-2020, 02:16 PM   #5
tsolignani
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz2004 View Post
Alita comes nicely boxed as did your iPad and is a similar size. A big difference is that Alita isn't easy to use and I now use mine as an expensive replacement for a Kindle. I was expecting, naïvely, something slick like my iPad. If you enjoy trying to get things working you will enjoy the Alita but support and problem solving is largely up to you. Boyue have tried to roll out a long overdue Android update for the Mars which has a smaller screen but that isn't going well.
Thank you.

I see what you mean, the thing requires some willingness to hack it and it does not work on everything straight out of the box.

That's not an issue, as a matter of fact I rather like doing that, only problem is clarify that you can do that, working on it, before buying. I wouldn't like to buy and return, it would be a waste of time mostly...

But I think that if you hack it for good it could do many more things than an iPad.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:01 PM   #6
bazz2004
Groupie
bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.bazz2004 is less competitive than you.

I'm good with a PC and like most people I'm fine with an iPad. After spending a lot of time on the Alita I got so bogged down and frustrated I decided to stick to using it as an e-reader. There's no comparison between a Boyue device and an iPad. If anybody can get comparable performance or versatility out of an Alita, Boyue should offer them mega money to join their team.
Old 08-27-2020, 11:50 PM   #7
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I guess then one could use it to write, which is something I do the most... What do you use the external keyboard for, if I may ask?
for writing and that the screen is not covered by the Android keyboard
Old 08-27-2020, 11:57 PM   #8
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I'm good with a PC and like most people I'm fine with an iPad. After spending a lot of time on the Alita I got so bogged down and frustrated I decided to stick to using it as an e-reader. There's no comparison between a Boyue device and an iPad. If anybody can get comparable performance or versatility out of an Alita, Boyue should offer them mega money to join their team.
Oh where! You only need to be a little familiar with Android, then you can use this device very well.
But I understand that pears may be foreign to Apple eaters.
Old 08-28-2020, 12:36 AM   #9
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Can you use Xodo as a reading and annotating PDF app, which can keep synced - with their annotation - with apps like Dropsync?
Handwritten comments in pdfs can only be created in the built-in application.
However, these are saved in PDF and can then be read in all PDF-capable applications.
However, they can only be changed in the built-in application.
The following applies to all applications:
the Android keyboard works differently. There is a toggle button for pen input. Text can be added here using plain text recognition.
Old 08-28-2020, 03:40 AM   #10
bazz2004
Groupie

I'll make myself a cup of tea while my Alita boots up. Then I'll enjoy read a book instead of trying to fine tune the OS or wondering if everything will go pear shaped with an untested Boyue update. I exaggerate a bit on the boot up time but an Alita is sluggish for 2020.

Last edited by bazz2004; 08-28-2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old 08-28-2020, 05:01 AM   #11
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
I'll make myself a cup of tea while my Alita boots up. Then I'll enjoy read a book instead of trying to fine tune the OS or wondering if everything will go pear shaped with an untested Boyue update. I exaggerate a bit on the boot up time but an Alita is sluggish for 2020.
I hardly turn mine off, so it starts immediately as soon as I open the cover.
I have more comfortable devices for reading books, my Alita is a work tool.
And the start time is not unusual for Android devices.
Old 08-28-2020, 11:39 AM   #12
bazz2004
Groupie

It would be helpful if you posted what work you do and in what ways your Alita is used by yourself as a work tool. That would give people some idea of whether the device will be useful to themselves before splashing a lot of money on an e-reader.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:07 PM   #13
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
It would be helpful if you posted what work you do and in what ways your Alita is used by yourself as a work tool. That would give people some idea of whether the device will be useful to themselves before splashing a lot of money on an e-reader.
Im using it as an outdoor computer with office apps, for handwritten comments in pdf files (piano / violin sheet music, scripts, documents, scores), for internet browsing, emails.
I have installed 512 GB SD - enough for storing files.
Old 08-29-2020, 03:06 AM   #14
bazz2004
Groupie

Now that is interesting. In my case I thought it would be useful for improving my learning of French and making notes on books but now consider it pretty redundant for that purpose. Taking notes for me is awkward and too much bother on the Alita. Maybe a thread giving uses, guidance and tips for those thinking of buying a Boyue Android e-reader would be worthwhile. Reviews of such devices are generally unhelpful and make exaggerated claims. You are out on your own when you've bought one. I'll start an appropriate thread if you like or maybe it would be better if you did. My contribution wouldn't be very positive.
Old 08-29-2020, 04:28 AM   #15
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Now that is interesting. In my case I thought it would be useful for improving my learning of French and making notes on books but now consider it pretty redundant for that purpose. Taking notes for me is awkward and too much bother on the Alita. Maybe a thread giving uses, guidance and tips for those thinking of buying a Boyue Android e-reader would be worthwhile. Reviews of such devices are generally unhelpful and make exaggerated claims. You are out on your own when you've bought one. I'll start an appropriate thread if you like or maybe it would be better if you did. My contribution wouldn't be very positive.
For me, Boox and Likebook devices are essentially not readers, but Android EInk tablets, which of course can also be used as readers.
So I use my Boox Poke Pro as a glare-free navigation system (screen in X-Mode) in the car with Sygic as software. GPS / Glonass data comes from my smartphone via Bluetooth (Unihertz Atom - too small for the map display), the sound is output via the car radio (Bluetooth).
As a reader for on the go, I use my Boox Poke2 on which Osmand + (map application) is installed (GPS / Glonass via my smartphone)
As a reader at home I use Likebook Ares with 512 GB SD card with Caliber Companion + AlReader + Golden Dict and Kiwix with offline Wikipedia.
I have already described the purpose of my Alita.
I have color tablets, but I don't use them anymore.