Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-30-2020, 04:05 AM   #1
krzyk2
krzyk2 began at the beginning.

Device: KT2 + Kindle Voyage
KT2 with 5.12.2 serial jailbreaking and adding wifi networking

Hi,
First of all thank you all of those who have posted here, it helped me do some wicked stuff with my kindle touch

Right now I have opened kindle (it was more trouble than I thought) connected the wires (with a helping hand, soldering with my flat as hammer tip almost ruined the connections) and have been able to minicom into my kindle

My serial number is 90C6 0706 5425 03SK

I had some trouble along the way, first of all, going into diags mode was a bit different than in the "for dummies" thread.

1. I head to first stop autoboot
2. Enter the bootm 0xE41000
3. Do NOT press anything until it stops showing characters on the screen (and do NOT go into recovery mode)
4. The last thing I saw was sock_init 1888
5. Enter exit login
6. Try to login using root and the password generated from python script that is in the mentioned thread <--- didn't work (AFAIR based on the serial it should have been fiona7e4)
7. Log into framework with mario password.
8. Get /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow
9. Do the John the Ripper and findout that the password for root is .... mario

I am 90% sure this Kindle Touch wasn't jailbroken previously (I bought it second hand, so no 100%, but I didn't see any signs of tinkering in the hardware).

Points 4-9 was in threads I found of the forum, it was very helpful, but I wonder if it shouldn't be in the serial jailbreaking for dummies? Looks like those problems are more prominent recently (based on posts I saw).

And now the issue I have. What I want from my kindle is to be able to ssh into it without any cables - so WIFI.

How do I apply the USBNetwork hack without having the touchscreen? Remember I have my kindle on the table, the touchscreen is separated from it because I have serial cables running to the back of it.

All posts I saw write about entering some magic combo into the search menu on the kindle, but I don't have a way of doing that as long as I have the kindle opened.

Can I apply USBNetwork hack without jailbreaking? If so, then which jailbreaking method should I use? I downloaded one file (kindle-jb-factory-1.3-r16160.tar.xz) but it doesn't have the jb.sh script.
The README mentions that I should:
Quote:
Copy main-htmlviewer.tar.gz to the Kindle root directory. (i.e., /mnt/us)
In the search bar, type ;installHtml and press return.
(BTW. mounting /mnt/us doesn't work if one wants to access the FS with books, one has to mount /dev/loop/0 AFAIR).

But again, remember, I don't have access to the touchscreen, so how do people apply the jailbreak now when kindle is dissembled and without the touchscreen?

Last edited by krzyk2; 06-30-2020 at 04:10 AM.
krzyk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:11 AM   #2
hius07
Wizard
hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hius07 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, PW3, PW4, Voyage
jb.sh is in the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip in the kindle-jailbreak-1.16.N-r17396.tar.xz
hius07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:25 AM   #3
krzyk2

Quote:
Originally Posted by hius07 View Post
jb.sh is in the kindle-5.4-jailbreak.zip in the kindle-jailbreak-1.16.N-r17396.tar.xz
But on the https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=225030 I see:
Quote:
K5 JailBreak (5.0.x - 5.4.4.2) | kindle-jailbreak-1.16.N-r17396.tar.xz
And my firmware is 5.12.2, that's why I took the kindle-jb-factory-1.3-r16160.tar.xz which doesn't have firmware requiremnts on the snapshots page.
Old 06-30-2020, 01:21 PM   #4
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@krzyk2: Hmm, that's a fairly good point.

There's a bit of legacy baggage to unpack to explain that one.

The *actual* "closed device" JailBreak in that package is limited to the FW range specified here.

But, in the package live a host of other JB-related tools that have much laxer FW requirements .

Most notably the bridge, hotfix, emergency, and serial JB bootstrap scripts .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-30-2020 at 03:01 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #5
krzyk2

OK, so I can safely use kindle-jailbreak-1.16.N-r17396.tar.xz and it will be all good?

How about my other question of how to make sure that I have the jailbreak without the touch screen?

And a followup, is it possible to install the USBNetwork hack without the touchscreen and fiddling with the search bar?

I'm mostly interested in USBNetwork hack, or more specifically the ability to ssh to kindle and running the browser (for using kindle as a display for my home sensors), I don't need packaging, all book related goodies I just need the eink display, browser and ssh

So basically I don't need all the packaging stuff, just the binaries of openssh, some wifi soft (wpa supplicant?) and a way to run them at the system boot.
And forcing kindle to start the browser, but that would be just to sweet

I know my way around the system and programming (but not much C lately ), so I just need a small direction where to start with it, if it is even possible.
Old 06-30-2020, 03:03 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Iff you have shell access (preferably in main, but diags works too, if there's even one on a KT2, I can never remember), then you don't need a touchscreen to install stuff.

You can basically just follow everything along until the mention of running MRPI comes in, at which point you'll just have to start it manually in a *main* root shell: /mnt/us/extensions/MRInstaller/bin/mrinstaller.sh

(In which case you also don't need KUAL).

----

If, instead, you only have a diags shell, you'll have to install stuff manually, by unpacking packages w/ kindletool, chroot'ing in main (if we can, dunno, if we can't, things get hairier as you won't be able to use install scripts), and running the install script(s) manually from there.

-----

I have no idea if someone's ever setup the WiFi programmatically on a Kindle, but that very vaguely rings a bell.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 06-30-2020 at 03:07 PM.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:54 PM   #7
krzyk2

Thank you (and yes KT2 has diags)