Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, Nexus7
Ryle, J.C.: Assurance. v2. 9 Nov 2010

John Charles RYLE (1816-1900) was the first Anglican bishop of Liverpool, England. He was a writer, pastor and an evangelical preacher. This tract is typical of his pastoral writing.

"Grace with assurance is no less than heaven let down into the soul" – Bishop Hopkins, 1680

v1
(This is my first upload and I hope that the style sheet is not too reader specific, (Sony PRS-300). I have not justified paragraphs as this Sony reader does not support it and I have left a margin on the right to reduce collision with the Adobe Digital Editions page numbers which Sony readers display).

v2
1. Increased left-margin
2. Corrected author file-as in content.opf
3. Changed files from XML to HTM
4. Commented stylesheet for easier user modification.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: epub ag1002sy.epub (30.3 KB, 718 views)

Last edited by Agama; 11-09-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Updated Book
Agama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 04:01 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Congratulations on getting your first ebook done. It looks fine on my Sony 650.

I'll send a few comments by private mail.

Regards, Alex

Oops, I see you're not receiving private mail.

In your content.opf file there is
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="J. C. Ryle">J. C. Ryle</dc:creator>

So far as I know the whole point of 'opf:file-as' is to enable data bases to file the ebook by author surname. I think you might do better to use
<dc:creator opf:role="aut" opf:file-as="Ryle, J. C. ">J. C. Ryle</dc:creator>

I know it's a matter of personal taste, but I think a 1pt left margin is too narrow. For what it is worth I use 3%.

Again, it may be personal taste (or I'm too set in my ways) but I was a bit taken aback by seeing XML files rather than HTML files. I don't use Sigil; I use an HTML editor. Is this what Sigil does?

Regards, Alex

Last edited by AlexBell; 11-08-2010 at 04:12 AM. Reason: Can't use private message
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:36 AM   #3
Agama
Guru
Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Agama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your comments they are much appreciated.

I haven't intentionally switched off private messaging so I will have to check my profile.

I use plain text files as my normal source documents and then use Notepad++ to apply markdown to prepare them for ePub conversion in calibre. After this they go to Sigil for tweaks to the TOC and some regex processing to remove calibre's style info. Since ePub content files are XHTML I use XML files, (this is not forced by Sigil), although it sounds from your comment that I could simply use HTML.

Calibre generated the content.opf file-as so maybe I've set something incorrectly in my calibre preferences.

The 1pt left margin is personal taste. I don't want the margin to increase with zoom level, (hence using the pt unit of measure), and I want to keep as much of my small screen available for actual text rather than white space. I did try no margin at all but that was too narrow!

Since the styling is all contained in a single stylesheet people can easily restyle the whole book to suit their own preferences.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agama View Post
although it sounds from your comment that I could simply use HTML.
Yes, all of my grand total of 15 books in the MobileRead library use XHTML 1.1 files. I used to dabble in website design, so that's what comes naturally to me.

Regards. Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
Agama
Guru

Updated book to version 2.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:47 PM   #6
jakimo
jakimo began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Ryle book

Thanks much for the Ryle book!

I just now discovered Ryle and was hunting all over for his book Holiness and came across this - I'm sure it'll be a good read.

The only post I read of him was something he wrote on Election (you could Google 'ryle' and 'election' to read it) - very sweet paper! The last part of the paper "Cautions" was amazing...

= )

If you've digitized any others as ePubs could you let me know?

thanks

Jacques
jakimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 AM   #7
Agama
Guru

You're welcome.

J.C. Ryle was one of England's 'giants' of the Christian faith. His writings are still fresh today and his pastoral concern for believers is always evident. "Assurance" is only a short work but very helpful.

I also have "Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties, and Roots" in plain-text format and will convert it to ePub for posting on this forum, probably sometime this month, though maybe you already have it.

19-Jan-11 : "Holiness" is already available from Feedbooks, so I'll work on something else.

Last edited by Agama; 01-19-2011 at 10:37 AM.