Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 11-01-2016, 01:06 PM   #286
Ptitprince
Ptitprince began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Question Translation

Hello SauliusP,

Is it possible to put your plugin on transifex like other plugins? I'll be glad to translate it into french.

Regards
Ptitprince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:14 AM   #287
bart86
bart86 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi all,
I have problem that is not directly related to this plugin. After sending books by mail some of them are not hyphenated even if converted mobi files (Calibre) are all ok. It is a bit frustrating and I don't want to go back to upload files by usb. The problem is related to Amazon servers but I thought that maybe someone has similar problem before and found some solution. Thank you.
bart86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2016, 02:55 AM   #288
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart86 View Post
Hi all,
I have problem that is not directly related to this plugin. After sending books by mail some of them are not hyphenated even if converted mobi files (Calibre) are all ok. It is a bit frustrating and I don't want to go back to upload files by usb. The problem is related to Amazon servers but I thought that maybe someone has similar problem before and found some solution. Thank you.
I am sorry I can't help. I never use send books by email because I really really hate (and find uncomfortable) the send by mail to my Kindle.
First, it forces me to turn on wireless, wich apart from battery consumptions exposes me to unwanted firmware updates.
Second, if I'm not mistaking, it is limited to mobi, and mobi is an inferior format (it lacks for example page count and I think also the kindle reading time doesn't work with mobi).

That said, it seems really strange to me that sending it via mail breaks hypenation: infact, hypens are written directly into the text of the book, the html changes, it's not some "extra file" or a suffix of the mobi file that could be stripped down in a transfer, it would require active and explicit tampering of a text processor, and it seems unlikely to me that something does this.

Edit: I have looked around, and if you look carefully at first post in this thread, hypenate this! does not support mobi files:

Quote:
Supports EPUB and AZW3 formats (no MOBI, even with KF8 inside, convert instead).
[...]
Note, that if you hyphenate EPUB or AZW3 and convert to "old" MOBI, hyphenation won't work.

Last edited by Ruskie_it; 11-10-2016 at 02:58 AM. Reason: New info
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 06:28 AM   #289
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@Ruskie_it: If you hyphenate epub and then convert it to "dual mobi" /"combo mobi" (contains both "old mobi" and "KF8" sections in one file with .mobi extension, and KF8 portion has soft hyphens) and send that to Amazon usually azw3 file gets delivered to your Kindle and all is good.
I'm guessing that @bart86 is using that workaround (because Amazon's PDOCs service doesn't accept KF8-only books) and for some reason for certain books ends up with "old mobi" being delivered.

Also you're wrong : Reading Time feature work with "old mobi" format since it only needs .NCX to "know" what constitutes a chapter.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 07:38 AM   #290
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
Also you're wrong : Reading Time feature work with "old mobi" format since it only needs .NCX to "know" what constitutes a chapter.
Then it's not possible for Reading Time to work with with Mobi because Mobi does not support NCX. KF8 doesn't support NCX as well. It's all an HTML ToC.

So however Reading Time does work, it's not based on an NCX ToC.

Last edited by JSWolf; 11-11-2016 at 07:40 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2016, 12:56 AM   #291
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@Ruskie_it: If you hyphenate epub and then convert it to "dual mobi" /"combo mobi" (contains both "old mobi" and "KF8" sections in one file with .mobi extension, and KF8 portion has soft hyphens) and send that to Amazon usually azw3 file gets delivered to your Kindle and all is good.
I'm guessing that @bart86 is using that workaround (because Amazon's PDOCs service doesn't accept KF8-only books) and for some reason for certain books ends up with "old mobi" being delivered.

I see, I didn't know about this complex behaviour while sending docs to Amazon. Yet I find this much more unpractical than using usb cable. 😊

Regarding mobi, perhaps I remember it wrong, but I am write sure it does not support page numbering at least. But if you say that an azw3 is delivered anyway, this doesn't matter as well.

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2016, 03:06 PM   #292
mgrmgrde
mgrmgrde began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3 iPhone 6+, Kindle HDX 8.9, Kindle paperwhite
Let me ask my questions from March once more:

1. Can you change the type of the custom field from text to a Y/N field? I think the three states of Yes/No/undefined are a better selection than text column.

2. As I use sigil as my e-book editor: can you replace the hex-code  with another &x....; sequence so I can edit a book in sigil too without a lot of spelling marks.

I think that would make this fabulous plugin a bit (for me a lot) better

TIA for considering these suggestions
mgrmgrde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #293
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Then it's not possible for Reading Time to work with with Mobi because Mobi does not support NCX. KF8 doesn't support NCX as well. It's all an HTML ToC.

So however Reading Time does work, it's not based on an NCX ToC.
Wrong & wrong.
If you've ever owned a Kindle you would know the following:

1) Even Kindle 2 & 3 used NCX ToC in "old mobi" format to display chapter markings on progress bar and for skiping to next/previous chapter via D-pad right/left buttons. Those Kindle models (or to be more precise firware 2.x & 3.x branches) used HTML ToC for "Go To" menu (as in no HTML Toc inside book = disabled "Go To" menu option". So books in old mobi format had and used (for different things, as stated above) both "inline" (= HTML) and "logical" (NCX) ToCs.

2) Newer Kindles using firware 5.x use NCX ToC for everything. As in it parses NCX ToC and populates "Go To > Contents" menu (just like it parses apnx for page numbers and ads that info beside each chapter title). HTML ToC is there only for legacy. Reading time feature just replaced the role chapter marking and progress bar of older Kindles when Amazon removed the progress bar, and thus also/still uses NCX file to "know" chapter borders.

No idea where Kindle 4 (firmware 4.x) devices stood, since I've never owned one.

One notable difference is that older Kindles didn't support multilevel (nested elements) elements in NCX and fw 5.x Kindles do support it (but the parsing logic has a known bug on all newer firmware build since 5.3.x build for PW1, that the first element of NCX can't be nested or it will not be expandable = you only get the top most elements title, child elements are missing).

I find it very strange that you're known for using KindleUnpack (I recall you being very annoying when reporting bugs on forum thread) and yet apparently you never spent time to learn what unpacking old mobi files gets you. But that didn't stop you from commenting here and spreading incorrect information (with air of authority) ...

@Ruskie_it: I haven't used old mobi format books in ages but I think I remember Calbre generated .apnx files working just fine with old mobi format books. You're correct in that you can't email those extra files...

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-13-2016 at 08:31 AM.
Old 11-13-2016, 02:05 PM   #294
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do you make an NCX for Mobi? Mobi doesn't use NCX. If your source file is a Word document or an HTML file, where's the NCX?
Old 11-14-2016, 12:32 AM   #295
Ruskie_it
Fanatic

Quote:
@Ruskie_it: I haven't used old mobi format books in ages but I think I remember Calbre generated .apnx files working just fine with old mobi format books. You're correct in that you can't email those extra files...
I'm sorry I'm not as technical as you are for what concerns inner file formats details: are you implying that page numbering works with mobi files as well (as long as they have been converted to mobi from another format and transferred to kindle via calibre)?

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk
Old 11-14-2016, 02:17 PM   #296
shamanNS
Guru

Yes, but the information/mappings that Kindle uses for page numbers are not part of the book itself (not inside a mobi file) nor is Kindle doing calculations like epub readers using Adobe reading software are doing... the info is contained within ".apnx" file which for Amazon bought books gets downloaded alongside the actual book (and contains "real page numbers" = mapped to certain printed edition) and for converted book Calibre can generate "fake page numbers" (as in approximation of number of pages based on chosen algorithm) and send it to Kindle over USB when it's sending the book itself. I don't recall if Calibre does that by default nowadays or if you must first turn that option on. See the screenshot below to where to find that option:

I'm using "Count Pages" Calibre plugin to calculate number of pages based on number of characters per page and put it in custom column "#pages" and I've set Kindle device plugin to use that column value when creating .apnx file.
Old 01-01-2017, 01:42 PM   #297
Hammond
Hammond began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Hi,

First, I would like to thank you for this excellent plugin. I have one quasetion. Is there any option or way to limit the maximum number of following lines end with hyphenate? Now there is often situation when I have for example 4 lines with hyphen. The limit should be (in my language – czech) max 3 following lines and than min one line without it.

Thank you
Hammond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 06:02 AM   #298
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammond View Post
Hi,

First, I would like to thank you for this excellent plugin. I have one quasetion. Is there any option or way to limit the maximum number of following lines end with hyphenate? Now there is often situation when I have for example 4 lines with hyphen. The limit should be (in my language – czech) max 3 following lines and than min one line without it.

Thank you
It's not possible to limit the number of consecutive lines with hyphens. There is no way for the plugin to know anything about how the hyphens will end up and where.
Old 03-18-2017, 07:14 AM   #299
Csabi
Csabi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite 3
Question Hyphenate This! issue

Hi Guys!

First of all, I would like to thank for this plugin. This is really I was looking for.
My native language is hungarian and I read hungarian novels most of the time.
I downloaded this dictionary for the hyphenate plugin:
http://extensions.openoffice.org/en/...-pack-20101019

I noticed some strange spellings after hyphenating my books. Let's see some example.
After hyphenation:
"vissza" becomes "viszza"
"mennyi" becomes "menynyi"

I don't know is it a hyphenate bug or just a dictionary issue?

Thank you for your help!
Csabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:24 AM   #300
shamanNS
Guru

@Csabi: The problem with hyphenation of hungarian language is mentioned several times in this thread. Do a search (by clicking on "Search this thread" link on the top of the page) for "hungarian" and you will find those posts.

To me the most informative post looks to be this one:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=211

Tags
amazon account, formatting, hypenation, hyphenate this, hyphenation, spaces