Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 06-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Time to discuss the Maltese Falcon....

BOb
What happened to the poll?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I liked the book. And the good guy (Spade) was not all that good. The police were made out to be bumbling fools. Spade is out for only one person and that's himself. I don't think he cares what happens to anyone else as long as he comes out alright.

The biggest downfall of the book was when Spade didn't really question the girl about her original cover story and just let it slide.
Advert
Old 06-23-2011, 04:21 PM   #33
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Which could hardly have come as a surprise to Spade, since, knowing Wilmer's rash and volatile nature, he set about to drive a wedge between Wilmer and Gutman.
Exactly. Spade set it up and got exactly what he wanted.

Quote:
I don't think so; not in the discussion thread. In the nominations thread, yes.
Thank you. I'll go back and remove the spoiler tags.

--------

You know what I don't get? How Bridget expected to walk away scot-free! I mean really? You killed the man's partner, lied at every turn, put him in all sorts of unnecessary danger...and a little bit of nookie was supposed to save you?
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:34 PM   #34
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What happened to the poll?
What poll? we don't put polls on discussions threads.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #35
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I found the book quite hard to get into, as I found the characterisations too overt (detailed descriptions of how the characters look; unsubtle descriptions of facial expressions and so on). I also struggled because the Bogart version is so engrained I just couldn't see Spade as tall and blonde. I did think Peter Lorre was perfect casting, and this helped me get int othe book once he appeared on the scene.

I also found Spade eminently unlikeable, and wouldn't have cared much if he'd been killed or convicted at the end.

Overall, I did quite enjoy it, but it hasn't earned re-read status. 3 out of 5.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 02:23 AM   #36
lila55
Fanatic
lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lila55 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360° , iPhone 5, PRS-650, Sony PRS-T2, Sony PRS-T3, Tolino
I found it entertaining, but after reading "The long Goodbye" by Raymond Chandler a couple of months ago and now this book I have to admit that "hardboiled" is definitely not my cup of tea.
lila55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:51 PM   #37
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
What poll? we don't put polls on discussions threads.

BOb
But we could. Didn't you read the suggestion for the poll and other agreeing that it's a good idea?
Old 06-25-2011, 08:35 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But we could. Didn't you read the suggestion for the poll and other agreeing that it's a good idea?
No, I must have missed that. I would be happy to add a poll to the discussion threads.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:37 PM   #39
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
You know what I don't get? How Bridget expected to walk away scot-free! I mean really? You killed the man's partner, lied at every turn, put him in all sorts of unnecessary danger...and a little bit of nookie was supposed to save you?
Great point Nyssa! I think it shows the extent to which Brigid was accustomed to having her way with men.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:43 PM   #40
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
No, I must have missed that. I would be happy to add a poll to the discussion threads.

BOb
I'm on a Star trek forum where the review/discussion thread on the latest book has a poll to get a feel how most people liked the book.

Outstanding
Above Average
Average
Below Average
Poor

Those are the poll choices. But feel free to change the wording to what you think best. I just think its a good idea to have the poll as well as the discussion.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Sam Spade is not really a nice man. He's a bit of an I'm out to get what I can for me and damn to you all.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:47 PM   #42
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Great point Nyssa! I think it shows the extent to which Brigid was accustomed to having her way with men.
There are feminine wiles and then there is cold blooded murder! Now, if Archer's wife had been the culprit (as once suspected) that would be a little different. She and Spade obviously had something going on, Archer probably knew Spade was seeing his wife (but was too busy with his own affairs) to worry over it, and Spade couldn't stand Archer...I could see Spade looking the other way for her. I still don't think he would have gone to jail for her ( he just doesn't come across as the self-sacrificing type), but I could see his trying to help her out of a jam as best he could.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #43
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Slightly off-topic, but since my copy of The Maltese Falcon also contained The Thin Man (also written by Hammett), I just wrote a mini-review of it in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread you folks might enjoy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 10:04 PM   #44
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Slightly off-topic, but since my copy of The Maltese Falcon also contained The Thin Man (also written by Hammett), I just wrote a mini-review of it in the Hey!! Let's get some action going! What are we reading? thread you folks might enjoy.
You should have Red Harvest, as well. Aren't some surprises, grand!
Old 06-27-2011, 10:13 PM   #45
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
You should have Red Harvest, as well. Aren't some surprises, grand!
I will (it's also included), but first there are some other things I've promised myself. I'm currently reading the 3rd Hal Spacejock book and a book of a theological nature.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote