Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #1
markstani
markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markstani ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Kindle '4' improvements?

I just wondered what improvements other Kindle users would like to see in future versions of the device?

I think it's the right size and I don't think it needs touch-screen technology - I think it would mark up the screen unnecessarily.

I'd quite like a bit of colour and a better ability to show covers and other graphics - but it's hardly something I would consider a strong 'negative' at the moment.

A better-formatted web browser would be good. Also, easier formatting of Word documents, web pages etc without having to do all the pdf converting, which often leaves the font size far too small.

A lending facility? Yeah, I'd like that a lot.

Otherwise, I'm not sure it needs revolutionising. I think its strength against the iPad (if Apple insist on turning it into a rivalry) is precisely that the Kindle is great at what it is - being an e-reader.

Who knows, perhaps iPad's apparent intention to be everything to everyone may yet prove to be its downfall.

Mark Staniforth

author 'Fryupdale' - free at http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/22744
markstani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 03:34 PM   #2
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I want the one with the bigger geebees.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
There are a few threads on this very subject in the Kindle Forum.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
yeah, we already have "Kindle4Pseudofantasy" and "What would you like to improve in your Kindle 3?" threads. It's getting boring now.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:12 PM   #5
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Support for SecureMobi and/or ADEPT ePub. (*I wish*)
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-26-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
Support for SecureMobi and/or ADEPT ePub. (*I wish*)
Never happen. Go with a different reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:21 PM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Never happen. Go with a different reader.
I know. Hence the "I wish"... I wish there was a bloody standard that all the big players would agree on.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I know. Hence the "I wish"... I wish there was a bloody standard that all the big players would agree on.
Like that's ever going to happen, since locking you into a specific standard/device is their notion of competing.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #9
fairy_dreams
fairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguefairy_dreams can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Kindle 3 3G
It'd be interesting to see a Kindle DX with touchscreen (since the keyboard is kind of awkward). This would also cut down on its size.

As for a regular K4, I'd like to see even faster page turns if that were possible
fairy_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:38 AM   #10
mldavis2
Coffee Nut
mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mldavis2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3; K4PC; Calibre
The entire purpose of selling eBook readers (Nook, Kindle, etc.) is to sell eBooks, not readers. Like computer printers which are sold as conduits to printer ink sales, readers are intended to force most users to buy books from Amazon or B&N. There is no financial reason for vendors to enable Amazon eBooks on a Nook or vice versa because it would create direct competition and bring prices down.

On the other hand, it works to force both vendors to maintain larger inventories and offer more choices, lest the competitor wins on quality/quantity comparisons. I suspect most authors will not choose an exclusive for either vendor unless one runs away with the market.
mldavis2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:41 AM   #11
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairy_dreams View Post
It'd be interesting to see a Kindle DX with touchscreen (since the keyboard is kind of awkward). This would also cut down on its size.

As for a regular K4, I'd like to see even faster page turns if that were possible
I'd be very happy to see a DX with the K3 functionality ie: wifi and d-pad (no joystick). I reckon it would be the best thing for academic stuff. Oh and the option to have PDF-reflow or the current zoom option the k3 has.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 08:35 AM   #12
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
In the real world I am a network administrator so these are the sorts of things that I need to know on a daily basis. If one got in a time machine and went twenty years into the future and went out and bought what ever the latest generation of ereaders from what I am told the differences that you would see would be, this is based on the infromation that I am reading from IT (a fancy name for computers), industry: You sould see a kindle that would on the surface resemble the K3s that we see today except with a few major modifications, there will be no on board memory instead all of the memory that you use in the kindle of 2030 will be injected into the unit in a syringe. There will still be a limit to the amount of memory that the 2030 kindle can hold, but it will be much higher then the kindle of 2010. When you find you 64gb 2030 kindle needs more memory you will go buy a bottle of black liquid that you will inject into the kindle with a syringe much like an nurse would inject medication into your arm. You will not touch the 2030 kindle like you do the 2010 kindle, you will cary it about and place it on a desk when you want to read it, but beyond that you will either speak to your 2030 kindle or you will make motions in the air above it and the 2030 kindle will obey. Your 2030 kindle will also project images of the book that you are reading in the air above it, if you are reading of a sword fight you will see the sword fight above the kindle. Oh, your 2030 Kindle will cost $5.

This is what the computer industry is telling me now.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:33 AM   #13
Drik
Drik began at the beginning.

Device: hanlin V3
I think Kindle 3 is already a good gadget, but in the future it would be nice support for fb2, epub, doc... and pdf reflow.
Drik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:21 PM   #14
Gwen Morse
Addict
Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.Gwen Morse never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Device: Kindle 3 (wifi) + nokia n900 tablet phone
I know Amazon will never do it, but, I'd like an ebook reader with the highest quality of eInk screen (eventually a Pixel Qi screen)...with modular support for ebook formats and fonts.

This is actually the sort of thing Sony could do (given that they're supposed to be hardware-based).

Basically, you would get a couple formats on the device and then you could download add-on packages that support the assorted versions of DRM out there. I'd like something similar with fonts as well. So, you could get a standard base set of fonts and then download others.

Download packs would either be free or could involve a nominal charge (depending on the licensing of what's being offered). They could even be available as part of bundles...

"Buy 5 ebooks of $10 or more value each, and get your choice of basic font packs (blah blah)."
Gwen Morse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 PM   #15
Blog Kindle
Addict
Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.Blog Kindle knows what's going on.

Device: Kindle 1/2/3/4/Touch/DX/Fire|PRS-600/350|Nook(color)|iPad|iPad2|EVO 4G
Hardware-wise the only improvement I can think of is larger screen while maintaining the same overall device size.
Color could be nice (but not in a way B&N did it) but it's now realistic in the near future.
Blog Kindle is offline   Reply With Quote