Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you read or avoid books recommended by Oprah Winfrey?
I avoid the book specifically based on her recommendation. 38 24.36%
I read the book specifically based on her recommendation. 3 1.92%
Who is Oprah Winfrey? 19 12.18%
I read books interesting to me regardless of whether Oprah recommended or not 96 61.54%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-25-2008, 11:43 AM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I don't understand people categorically avoiding these books just because she recommends them. Some of these books were written long before Oprah got to them. I remember two Canadian authors (Anne-Marie McDonald and Rohinton Mistry) who were quite popular already here in Canada for years before Oprah found them. To say 'I avoid Toni Morrison because Oprah recommended her' is silly---Toni Morrison is a Nobel prize winner and was famous long before Oprah got to her, just as Anne-Marie McDonald was read in university literature classes in Canada for a good couple years before Oprah read her book.
It's simple really. Oprah's a tireless self-promotion talk-show hostess, in the vein of Martha Stewart. The only problem is that Martha Stewart actually *has* something of value to offer and Oprah has only her mouth and her (to my mind) stupid opinions. But, for some truly incomprehensible reason, the American viewing public is entranced by her so the rest of us must suffer.

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 11:47 AM   #17
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
It's simple really. Oprah's a tireless self-promotion talk-show hostess, in the vein of Martha Stewart. The only problem is that Martha Stewart actually *has* something of value to offer and Oprah has only her mouth and her (to my mind) stupid opinions. But, for some truly incomprehensible reason, the American viewing public is entranced by her so the rest of us must suffer.

Derek
In particular I would guess you think the authors should suffer since boycotting takes bread from their table. How to the rest of us suffer with what Oprah does? I don't even see her as a blip and haven't found any duress so far. Is it really so simple?

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #18
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post

Derek
I was going to say, you best not be dissing my girl Martha!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
In particular I would guess you think the authors should suffer since boycotting takes bread from their table. How to the rest of us suffer with what Oprah does? I don't even see her as a blip and haven't found any duress so far. Is it really so simple?

Dale
Going on Oprah will make millions for any author. The few people who don't read what she recommends will barely be a blip on their radar. Honestly, I think my biggest problem with her book club was that she stopped it (for whatever reason), then brought it back up after reading East of Eden, then decided to do a classic run. The whole greatness of her program was new authors got a shot.

And don't forget the "Million Little Pieces" scandal...
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #19
Boston
Fanatic
Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Boston writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Aura H20, Pixel XL
I can say that Oprah and I do not enjoy reading the same types of books. I find her recommendations too slow and depressing.

However, to say that I "avoid" her recommendations is extreme. It suggests that she would stop me from reading something that I wanted (to read) which isn't the case. However, if she recommends a book, I will read the reviews a little more carefully to see if its her usual before buying.

- I've read maybe 2 books she's recommended that I have enjoyed.
- I've tried to start a handful of other books she's recommended over the past years that I haven't been able to get finish (I am the type who won't finish a book that I'm not enjoying).
- The rest I've ignored.
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 12:25 PM   #20
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
I don't avoid books because she recommends them, but looking at her list I wouldn't read any of them anyway... It is scary how zombified her viewers are though...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #21
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Dale, you still have not answered my question Some of these authors were already quite famous/popular before Oprah found them. Wasn't Steinbeck one of her picks? So, you avoid Steinbeck because Oprah likes him too? Or you avoid Anne-Marie McDonald (who was well-known in Canada years before Oprah) just because Oprah likes her? Do you avoid food too, because Oprah likes food? Do you avoid red, because Oprah wears that colour? And you say her audience is a bunch of sheep? Sounds like you are. Why not judge a book on its own merits and decide for yourself whether it's worth your time?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 01:19 PM   #22
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Dale, you still have not answered my question Some of these authors were already quite famous/popular before Oprah found them. Wasn't Steinbeck one of her picks? So, you avoid Steinbeck because Oprah likes him too? Or you avoid Anne-Marie McDonald (who was well-known in Canada years before Oprah) just because Oprah likes her? Do you avoid food too, because Oprah likes food? Do you avoid red, because Oprah wears that colour? And you say her audience is a bunch of sheep? Sounds like you are. Why not judge a book on its own merits and decide for yourself whether it's worth your time?
I think Dale is on your side, heh.

For me, it's not because she likes them. It's the fact that she says, "buy it," and millions pretty much just do it. I don't want to be like that. Even among my friends, several people will have to tell me to read a book before I actually do. The only problem I actually have with Oprah herself I wrote above (switching to classics when she has the power to introduce new authors to the world)

And I should just give them a chance on their own merits, but I just can't. Would never stop anyone else from doing so either.

Except for Dan Brown. I'll tell you all day long why you shouldn't read his books. And the Bible Code, uggh.
Old 12-25-2008, 02:12 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I voted for Who is Oprah?
I know *of* her, I know she is some kind of American celebrity and I happen to know she grew up very poor. That is about all I know.

So I went to the youtube and tried to look up a video of her endorsing a Kindle. No luck. I viewed a random 180 second clip from her show instead.

Holly $DEITY!

Are ALL her shows like that?
I mean all people screaming insanely, jumping madly, fainting and generally going bonkers? I can't find strength to go and look at a few more videos at the moment to make sure.
Unbelievable.
<shudder>

Are there other shows like that in USA? I mean all the audience going bonkers without any apparent reason whatsoever?
I thought that the strangest shows were those in Japanese television ;-)
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #24
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post

Dale
No, I did not say that. I do not believe that authors should be forced to suffer by boycotting. However, any careful examination of Oprah's reading habits and suggestions will make it clear that she has very narrow tastes - for one thing, SF needs not apply. Hunh? With a simple wave of her hand she can dismiss an entire genre???

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #25
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I voted for Who is Oprah?
I know *of* her, I know she is some kind of American celebrity and I happen to know she grew up very poor. That is about all I know.

So I went to the youtube and tried to look up a video of her endorsing a Kindle. No luck. I viewed a random 180 second clip from her show instead.

Holly $DEITY!

Are ALL her shows like that?
I mean all people screaming insanely, jumping madly, fainting and generally going bonkers? I can't find strength to go and look at a few more videos at the moment to make sure.
Unbelievable.
<shudder>

Are there other shows like that in USA? I mean all the audience going bonkers without any apparent reason whatsoever?
I thought that the strangest shows were those in Japanese television ;-)
Some shows are like that. Jerry Springer, for instance.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #26
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Some shows are like that. Jerry Springer, for instance.
Oh yes, Jerry Springer. That is worse.
Old 12-25-2008, 03:06 PM   #27
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Lots of people don't read sci-fi, not just Oprah. That still doesn't mean anything she reads is trash. I myself don't read much romance, but there are a few authors in that genre who I do enjoy, and if my mother (who does read romances) recommends a book to me, I would consider it before I decide to read or not. Sometimes, I may read the book, sometimes I may decide it will not be to my tastes. I don't dismiss all suggestions just because they are coming from that one person.

I agree with what Bob said in the other thread. You are just as much of a 'lemming' for avoiding a book just because Oprah suggested it as you are for reading it just because Oprah said so I could understand (maybe) the sentiment if this was an Oprah publishing company where she was getting it from, or if Oprah was getting paid to push specific books. But many of these authors were out there before Oprah ever found them, so I see nothing 'wrong' with Oprah reading them, liking them and giving their sales a boost and getting people reading by suggesting books she herself has enjoyed.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:37 PM   #28
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
After seeing enough of what Oprah has recommended and realizing that most of it does not sound appealing to me, I tend to avoid what she recommends because I don't have time to read it to find out what is or is not to my liking.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:45 PM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
Oh yes, Jerry Springer. That is worse.
There was an absolutely hilariously funny stage show of "Jerry Springer" which "did the rounds" of British theatres a couple of years ago. Funniest thing I've ever seen.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 03:51 PM   #30
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Lots of people don't read sci-fi, not just Oprah. That still doesn't mean anything she reads is trash. I myself don't read much romance, but there are a few authors in that genre who I do enjoy, and if my mother (who does read romances) recommends a book to me, I would consider it before I decide to read or not. Sometimes, I may read the book, sometimes I may decide it will not be to my tastes. I don't dismiss all suggestions just because they are coming from that one person.

I agree with what Bob said in the other thread. You are just as much of a 'lemming' for avoiding a book just because Oprah suggested it as you are for reading it just because Oprah said so I could understand (maybe) the sentiment if this was an Oprah publishing company where she was getting it from, or if Oprah was getting paid to push specific books. But many of these authors were out there before Oprah ever found them, so I see nothing 'wrong' with Oprah reading them, liking them and giving their sales a boost and getting people reading by suggesting books she herself has enjoyed.
No one ever said her recommendations were trash. They are definetly not that.

I'm ok with being a lemming going in the opposite direction