Notices

Old 11-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #1
CanadianContent
Enthusiast
CanadianContent began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
New 505 owner - help please!

Hi everybody,
I'm new to this part of the forum. I am expecting my 505 to be delivered in the next couple of days, and I am pacing about with excitement. I have been reading on a UMPC up to now, but took the plunge to a dedicated reader when I was browsing for an Airmiles redemption, so here I am.
I am hoping that you experienced Sony owners can give me some direction. I have read lots about Calibre. Do most of you use it? And is that instead of the software that comes with the Sony, which I gather has a few problems?
I have a number of books, which are mostly .lit format. I realize that they can be converted for reading on the Sony, but if I use Calibre for this, does it make a copy of the book, that is does it store the new Sony compatible version in a new library and retain the old format version?
In my situation, how would you go about re-organizing my 150-ish .lit books, and 30+ pdf books?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
CanadianContent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianContent View Post
Hi everybody,
I'm new to this part of the forum. I am expecting my 505 to be delivered in the next couple of days, and I am pacing about with excitement. I have been reading on a UMPC up to now, but took the plunge to a dedicated reader when I was browsing for an Airmiles redemption, so here I am.
I am hoping that you experienced Sony owners can give me some direction. I have read lots about Calibre. Do most of you use it? And is that instead of the software that comes with the Sony, which I gather has a few problems?
I have a number of books, which are mostly .lit format. I realize that they can be converted for reading on the Sony, but if I use Calibre for this, does it make a copy of the book, that is does it store the new Sony compatible version in a new library and retain the old format version?
In my situation, how would you go about re-organizing my 150-ish .lit books, and 30+ pdf books?
Thanks in advance for sharing your experiences.
I use Calibre instead of the Sony software because I'm on a Mac, although I have the Sony and the Adobe DE stuff installed on a VM.

Certainly when you add a new book into Calibre's library it takes a copy; but I can't remember off hand if it does when it's converting. However I would STRONGLY recommend you take a backup of the files before you convert them anyway, just in case (nothing to with Calibre, just a standard precaution ).
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi CanadianContent. I've used Calibre to convert several Microsoft Reader books over to .lrf and have loaded them on my 505 with no problem. You import them into your Sony eBook using the software that comes with the 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
Hi CanadianContent. I've used Calibre to convert several Microsoft Reader books over to .lrf and have loaded them on my 505 with no problem. You import them into your Sony eBook using the software that comes with the 505.
There is no need to use the Sony software to send the files to the 505, as Calibre will do this for you. When converting from one format to another (e.g., LIT to LRF), Calibre does not change the original (LIT) file. You add the LIT file to the Calibre library, which in effect means Calibre makes a copy of the LIT file which it stores in its own internal library (database). When you convert the LIT to LRF, Calibre keeps the LIT file in its own library too. So you would then have 3 "copies" of the book:

Your original LIT file
The LIT file imported into the Calibre library
The LRF file in the Calibre library that Calibre converted from the LIT file in its library.

You use Calibre to send the LRF file to the 505 (which gives you another copy of the book):

The LRF file on the 505.

The 505 sorts books by title, author or date. Calibre has similar sorting options, so you may not need any additional grouping. However, you can put books into collections on the 505; a collection is just a group of related books (there is no hierarchy of collections).

I do not use the Sony software at all, or Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) that comes with the 505. You only need the Sony software and ADE if you want to buy books from the official Sony or Waterstones store - these books are copy protected (Digital Rights Management), and you need ADE to be able to use them. Calibre does not convert copy protected files.

So, are your LIT files copy protected (do they have DRM)? That is, are they Secure Microsoft Reader format? If they are not copy protected, then Calibre is all you need. You can use it to convert the files to LRF and send them to the 505.

If your LIT files are copy protected, then I don't think the Sony software or ADE will help, as I don't think they work with LIT files (not sure about that as I don't use this software).

You would need to get unprotected versions of your LIT files before you use Calibre to convert them to LRF and send them to the 505.

Allegedly there are ways of removing DRM from LIT files.

Last edited by ShellShock; 11-03-2008 at 01:14 PM.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
Allegedly there are ways of removing DRM from LIT files.
There is nothing "alleged" about it. ConvertLIT is quite real.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
There are only two reasons to use the Sony software instead of Calibre--as has been mentioned earlier--if you want to buy books from Sony; and secondly the Sony software "prepaginates" your books.

The "prepagination" means that the books load faster the first time you open them or change the font size in them, as all this has already been calculated on your PC. What works best for me is to use Calibre to convert my content and then save to disk. I then use the Sony Software to upload the books to my reader.

Note--once you have the books in a format the reader can read (LRF, e-Pub, RTF, etc.) you can simply drag and drop files to your reader in Explorer if you want.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
BlackVoid
Evangelist
BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BlackVoid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can also use BookDesigner for conversion - for PDF files (at least) it gives better results. Not sure about LIT, since I have stopped using Calibre.
BlackVoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #8
CanadianContent
Enthusiast

Thank you for all the great advice. I am feeling quite proud of myself as I have installed Calibre, added a few books and converted them. The process was easier than I expected it to be. So all I am missing is my reader itself...I will continue my pacing, looking to all the world like an expectant father from a 60's movie, as I await its arrival.
I appreciate that you took the time to give me advice
Got a two week vacation coming up, so my luggage should definitely be a lot lighter, which will be useful, especially with airlines tightening up on weight, bags, etc.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:33 AM   #9
CanadianContent
Enthusiast

Forgot to add - most of my books are non-DRM, classics mostly, so I didn't have a problem with the conversion.
BlackVoid - the files I converted were all .lit, but I will give BookDesigner a try too. I have some pdf files.
Old 11-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #10
CanadianContent
Enthusiast

Forgot to add - most of my books are non-DRM, classics mostly, so I didn't have a problem with the conversion.
BlackVoid - the files I converted were all .lit, but I will give BookDesigner a try too. I have some pdf files.
Old 11-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #11
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Did you check the "E-Books" section on this site, as there are a number of classics 'pre-converted'!
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:50 PM   #12
CanadianContent
Enthusiast

Thanks for reminding me. I downloaded most of my classic books from PG, but I have been browsing the ebooks section today. I have only read a couple of Charles Dickens, but my aim is to read them all, so that is the first place I will be heading, (thank you Harry T)
This site has so many resources!