Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-24-2018, 12:39 AM   #1
Jokera
Jokera began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Advice on buying the new paperwhite

I am wondering whether to trade in my jailbroken PW1 (WiFi+3G, 2012, 5.4.4.2) and get the latest paperwhite. Is it going to be worth it?
Jokera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:18 AM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
Compare the 2 then decide. Right Now you can Trade-in the older PW get money & % off on the new PW.....
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2018, 01:46 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
i would trade up for the improved ppi. as the PW1 has lower screen resolution. Also, a 2012 model may be nearing the end of its expected battery life.

the value of 1st PW is not great and will only go lower if amazon have clear-out sales of any older gen PWs on black friday.

OTOH, if you want until future sales ( but probably not until xmas) Amazon do tend to slash PW prices by 25-30% in their regular sales. I dont see them doing that for the PW4 next month though - its still too new. They may instead sweeten it with more KU bundled deals
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:52 AM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
6 months of FREE KU comes with the new PW4.... & its 25% off when you buy a new kindle with Trade-in....Sweet Deal!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
6 months of FREE KU comes with the new PW4.... & its 25% off when you buy a new kindle with Trade-in....Sweet Deal!
Plus, I believe you get another $25 for trading in a working PW.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2018, 02:06 PM   #6
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokera View Post
I am wondering whether to trade in my jailbroken PW1 (WiFi+3G, 2012, 5.4.4.2) and get the latest paperwhite. Is it going to be worth it?
I think I would hold on to the old Paperwhite and wait for a sale on the new one.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #7
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I think I would hold on to the old Paperwhite and wait for a sale on the new one.
So 25% off for trade in, plus other goodies is not a sale ???

The only case I see for keeping the old one is if jailbreaking is important, the pw4 may not be jailbreak able until folks have had more time to study that
Old 10-24-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Will Amazon accept a jailbroken device?
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Will Amazon accept a jailbroken device?
This thought had vaguely wondered across my little brain.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #10
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I would think they'd reformat it anyway since they have to wipe it clean. I assume they've seen them before? I don't jailbreak my kindles, but can the user format it and remove the jailbreaking before sending it in?

I think it's worth it since there have been quite awhile since the PW1 and improvements have been made, as well as the discount deal for trading in. The Kindle Unlimited is a big bonus if you're interested in it.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #11
stumped
Wizard

Well they probably just bin them so why should they care. I doubt they test them unless the t and c say you have to trade in a fully working item.
I am guessing it's like the trade in, money off deals they offer when your Kindle dies outside of warranty.

I really don't see them trying to claw back a credit from someone who says jailbreak? what jailbreak, ,what's a jaiobreak?....you must have mine confused with someone else's trade in.

And doesn't a factory reset remove a jailbreak anyway?
Old 10-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #12
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Well they probably just bin them so why should they care. I doubt they test them unless the t and c say you have to trade in a fully working item.
I am guessing it's like the trade in, money off deals they offer when your Kindle dies outside of warranty.
I thought they refurbished them then sold them on.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #13
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jokera View Post
I would definitely recommend a PW4 over a PW1. My Mom has a PW1 and the PW3 has better lighting. With the bevel edge, you will probably love it. However, there's quite a price jump for the 3G version. If 3G is important to you, decide whether that added cost is worth it or not. At one time I absolutely needed the 3G because two different homes I often stayed in had no wifi. That is no longer the case.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:45 PM   #14
Jokera
Jokera began at the beginning.

Device: PW4
Decided to bite the bullet and trade the PW for the PW4. The only benefit of the jailbreak for me was the KOReader but I think the benefits of PW4 outweigh having a KOReader.

Thank you all for the advice.
Jokera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:45 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
So 25% off for trade in, plus other goodies is not a sale ???
But if you wait for a sale, you'll be close to the same price but won't have to give up the old Paperwhite.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote