Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 10-11-2018, 08:40 AM   #46
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Asus Zen Pad
Ah. OK. Well it behaves as expected on Mageia then, including the crash.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:20 AM   #47
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Since this bug is not Sigil caused, someone should probably reopen the KDE plugin bug report, citing this exact simple testcase and and maybe reopen the Qt bug report so that this bug gets tracked down and fixed. It has existed for a long time.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-11-2018, 09:40 AM   #48
Banjo
Zealot
Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Banjo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I filed a bug on the Mageia system. We had pretty much determined that it was not a Sigil bug, and the assignee was going to send it upstream. I will find the bug report and report these new findings.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 AM   #49
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
I filed a bug on the Mageia system. We had pretty much determined that it was not a Sigil bug, and the assignee was going to send it upstream. I will find the bug report and report these new findings.
Old 10-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #50
Banjo
Zealot

Update:
The Mageia bug that I posted does not appear to have been sent upstream, so I posted the problem on the KDE page with the WidgetListCrash program.

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=399989

They seem to have tracked it down pretty well and also think it is a Qt fix. I have no idea where or how to reopen the Qt bug report or which bug that refers to. I am similarly in the dark with respect to the KDE plugin.

Banjo
(_)=='=~
Advert
Old 10-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It would be great if that last commenter who had the issue narrowed down quite a bit could file the Qt bug report.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 04:55 PM   #52
Banjo
Zealot

Evidently, this very same bug was filed against Qt last year.

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-63546

with the very same test program.

Still marked "unresolved". I guess this one is a difficult issue to fix.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:56 PM   #53
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Yes, I quoted that exact Qt bug earlier in this thread and that is where I got the testcase. As far as I know, no one at Qt is working on it.

It was assigned to someone in October of 2017, so over a year ago with no progress.

Sad really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banjo View Post
Evidently, this very same bug was filed against Qt last year.

https://bugreports.qt.io/browse/QTBUG-63546

with the very same test program.

Still marked "unresolved". I guess this one is a difficult issue to fix.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:02 PM   #54
Banjo
Zealot

So we have come full circle. I did not make the connection from your earlier post.

Well, I woke up the KDE folks, one of whom claims to have posted that Qt bug. Maybe something will happen now.
Old 10-18-2018, 10:41 PM   #55
KevinH
Sigil Developer

And it looks like the KDE people already have a fix for the bug. They create a new plugin that knows how to deal with their KIconEngine and according to the tests, it fixes the problems!

Wow fast work on their part! Here is the link with the changes needed.

https://phabricator.kde.org/D16305

So it looks like it was not a Qt bug at all but a serialization/deserialization issue with Icon data probably in an Icon cache of some sort.

Not sure when this will fix will appear in a KDE release, but it is nice to know a fix now exists.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:26 AM   #56
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great! I was going to see if I could automate the workaround in the current Sigil launch script (test to see if XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP is set to kde and change it to something else before launching Sigil if it is), but if a real fix is in the works, I wouldn't want to the workaround to potentially stomp all over the fix when it comes out. So I think I'll go back to my idea of adding the commented out workaround to the Sigil launch script so we can easily point people to it should they need it.

I'll also add a note to the Linux section of Sigil's WIKI about the issue, the workaround, and the potential forthcoming fix.

EDIT: Wiki updated.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-19-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Old 11-11-2018, 11:36 AM   #57
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Looks like the proposed fix was accepted and committed. It should make it into v5.52.0 of KIconThemes (it's probably already in v5.52.0-rc1). I'll be happy to see this one finally resolved!
Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 PM   #58
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Looks like the proposed fix was accepted and committed. It should make it into v5.52.0 of KIconThemes (it's probably already in v5.52.0-rc1). I'll be happy to see this one finally resolved!

Finally!!! I can re-order my chapters in Sigil (without it crashing) to my heart's content on KDE5 Plasma (PCLOS).

, , Everyone.
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 09:37 AM   #59
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-novice View Post
Finally!!! I can re-order my chapters in Sigil (without it crashing) to my heart's content on KDE5 Plasma (PCLOS).

, , Everyone.
So it's available in your update repositories? That's great news!
Old 11-17-2018, 12:55 PM   #60
C-novice
ReadingZealot
C-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to beholdC-novice is a marvel to behold

Device: kobo ARC, Samsung Tab4
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
So it's available in your update repositories? That's great news!
Yes. It has been for the last few days it seems and only because yesterday I read your post that it's likely available; I checked my repo and there it was.

Thanks for all you and others did to make this happen.
We should add [Solved] to this topic somewhere?
C-novice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drag and drop, reorder chapters, sigil crashes