Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-27-2016, 11:59 AM   #46
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Here's another beta. I think all this fixes the problems reported.

The covers for books that are no longer sold should be retrieved. This was also part of the problem with eARCs.

I have put some handling in for "edited by", but I'm not sure it is correct. All I am doing is ignoring the "edited by". That means that for the example given, I am assuming the author is just "James H. Schmitz". For this case, I think it is correct. For others, it might not be.

The changes might have fixed the problem with "Phoenix Ascendant". I didn't do anything specific for this, but I can't reproduce the problem today.

As usual, please report any problems. A link to the problem book is really handy, as is a copy of the logs. If everything is OK, I'll arrange for a release sometime next week.
Phoenix Ascendant appears to work correctly now. However, I had an eARC end up with a completely wrong title -- Carousel Seas eARC was returned as Carousel Tides (non-eARC).

Another issue: When the Series information is already set, but with a different series name than Baen has chosen, the plugin overrides that to Baen Series Name [1]. I'm sure I'm not alone in having some series listed in Calibre with a different name than Baen has chosen to use. My personal preference would be for the series information to be written ONLY when there isn't something there already.

For example, with the Carousel series, the author (and I) have chosen to refer to it as the Archer's Beach series, so the eARC was in Calibre as Archer's Beach [3]. That was overwritten to Carousel [1]. On another book, When the Devil Dances, where I used the same exact series name as Baen, the behaviour was correct. It did not overwrite the series index.
CRussel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 03:01 PM   #47
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Works with all of my test cases, some of which did not work with the original plugin.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:09 PM   #48
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Baen's Bar is the BAEN forum site
Toni's Table is where the 'Editor' hangs out

NNTP is what us old time USENET users like
I got that from the context, and did look at them, though I had to dig NNTP out of the dusty corners of my mind. I was responding to the suggestion that this thread wasn't the correct place for the discussion of problems with this plugin. My reaction that that is basically
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:37 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Phoenix Ascendant appears to work correctly now. However, I had an eARC end up with a completely wrong title -- Carousel Seas eARC was returned as Carousel Tides (non-eARC).
I just tested and this isn't happening here. Can you post the log? And does this happen when you only use Webscriptions for the search, or are you using other plugins at the same time?
Quote:
Another issue: When the Series information is already set, but with a different series name than Baen has chosen, the plugin overrides that to Baen Series Name [1]. I'm sure I'm not alone in having some series listed in Calibre with a different name than Baen has chosen to use. My personal preference would be for the series information to be written ONLY when there isn't something there already.

For example, with the Carousel series, the author (and I) have chosen to refer to it as the Archer's Beach series, so the eARC was in Calibre as Archer's Beach [3]. That was overwritten to Carousel [1]. On another book, When the Devil Dances, where I used the same exact series name as Baen, the behaviour was correct. It did not overwrite the series index.
Sorry, but that is how calibre works. A metadata search plugin gets the results and passes them back to calibre to apply. Calibre is probably only changing what is different. In the case of the series info, if the series name changes, it is probably resetting the name and index and then applying the new values. This means that the current series index is replaced by whatever comes from the search. As the plugin doesn't set one, calibre uses whatever rules it has for choosing the series index.

What I had completely forgotten or possibly didn't know, are that the rules can be changed with a tweak. The "Auto increment series index" tweak has two options. I have:

Code:
series_index_auto_increment = 'first_free'

use_series_auto_increment_tweak_when_importing = False
That uses 1 as the series index.

Changing the latter option to "True" will use the same rules as used when setting the series in the metadata editor.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:33 AM   #50
jcsalomon
Zealot
jcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheesejcsalomon can extract oil from cheese

Device: Bookari (née Mantano Reader) on Android; Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
I was responding to the suggestion that this thread wasn't the correct place for the discussion of problems with this plugin. My reaction that that is basically
Not what I meant. This thread is the place to discuss the plug-in, but Baen’s Bar (either the EBooks conference or Toni’s Table) would be where to discuss what Baen’s site can do to accommodate the plug-in, or what features of the new site the plug-in might be able to use.
jcsalomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #51
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsalomon View Post
Not what I meant. This thread is the place to discuss the plug-in, but Baen’s Bar (either the EBooks conference or Toni’s Table) would be where to discuss what Baen’s site can do to accommodate the plug-in, or what features of the new site the plug-in might be able to use.
That is also what I took from your post.

There are 2 ends of any download plugin. Sometimes the adjustment needs to be at the source end for simplicity
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 11:58 AM   #52
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I just tested and this isn't happening here. Can you post the log? And does this happen when you only use Webscriptions for the search, or are you using other plugins at the same time?
I can't repeat it now. I suspect some previous metadata edit had inserted an incorrect ISBN value, which Calibre, of course, accepted. The eARC should have ONLY a webscription value, since it's not sold anywhere else.
Old 03-25-2016, 01:15 AM   #53
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Any word on a "release version" of this? It seemed like we had most problems resolved...
Old 03-25-2016, 01:29 AM   #54
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I'm waiting for kiwidude. When I change his plugins, I send a message to him about the update and he updates the first post. Usually he is pretty quick, but it has been a week or so this time.
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM   #55
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I'm waiting for kiwidude. When I change his plugins, I send a message to him about the update and he updates the first post. Usually he is pretty quick, but it has been a week or so this time.
Any forum Mod can do that
If you PM me:
1) the edited BB code section for the index, I can paste (replace) it there (usually just a rev level bump)

2) Instructions (new text) of what should done to post 1
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 03:30 PM   #56
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
v1.1.0 Released

Changes in this release:
  • New URL
  • Lots of website changes
  • Added series name but no series index

Thanks to Davidfor who made the changes.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 10:27 AM   #57
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Minor nit...

Just to mention that in __init__.py around line 28, "Bean" should be "Baen". Otherwise, the plugin works for me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:30 PM   #58
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I thought I found all those misspellings.
Old 11-10-2018, 01:34 AM   #59
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Beta - Site changes

Does anyone know when this stopped working? I went to add the second item below, and found the search wasn't working. So, I had to fix it.
  • Fix: Web site changes
  • New: Add id_from_url to return the identifier.

While fixing this, there are two things that seem to be missing: series information and the publisher. The series is sometimes in the title or the first line of the description, but it is not always there. The publisher is also missing on the details page.

Second change is for a change I made to the metadata editor that has been released in calibre version 3.34. When you press the button next to the identifiers field, if there is a URL in the clipboard, then it will attempt to get an identifier from the URL. That function needs support from the metadata source plugins.

If anyone is out there and wants to use this, please test the beta and tell me how it goes.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Webscription-beta.zip (6.5 KB, 343 views)

Last edited by davidfor; 11-10-2018 at 01:44 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:25 PM   #60
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
If anyone is out there and wants to use this, please test the beta and tell me how it goes.
Tried downloading metadata and covers for the Baen Nov. 2018 bundle and the Grantville Gazette Volume 80. Of the 8 books, 4 returned no results, 3 showed valid results and The Valley of Shadows returned the eARC instead of the release version.

I managed to get the Grantville Gazette, Volume 80 to work by using the URL method to add the ID and changing the author from Bjorn Haessler to Eric Flint while The Valley of Shadows worked using the URL to add the ID.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bug report