Notices

Old 09-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #1
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast
JainaSJedi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle Voyage stuck trying to add to collections

Hi,

I'm looking for some technical help with my Kindle Voyage (firmare 5.8.10); and I did have this jailbroken before the update.

I just recently added a bunch of books and I usually use the LibrarianSync (with KUAL) on the Kindle with Calibre to put books into collections. Well, sometimes it works and sometimes I have to add the books manually to collections.

The problem I am having is when I try to add books to collections manually. The Voyage will not go back to the home screen after checking the box to add the book to the collection. The Kindle appears stuck after pressing the 'done' button. I can get to the settings screen to restart it.

The only way to 'un-stick' the Kindle is to restart the device. I can read books just fine, but the Kindle will 'hang' itself when I try to add books to collections. I even updated the firmware today (Sept. 12); and that didn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to do a factory reset? I really don't want to do this because I don't want to start over from scratch. I had a really hard time jailbreaking it in the first place.
JainaSJedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JainaSJedi View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for some technical help with my Kindle Voyage (firmare 5.8.10); and I did have this jailbroken before the update.

I just recently added a bunch of books and I usually use the LibrarianSync (with KUAL) on the Kindle with Calibre to put books into collections. Well, sometimes it works and sometimes I have to add the books manually to collections.

The problem I am having is when I try to add books to collections manually. The Voyage will not go back to the home screen after checking the box to add the book to the collection. The Kindle appears stuck after pressing the 'done' button. I can get to the settings screen to restart it.

The only way to 'un-stick' the Kindle is to restart the device. I can read books just fine, but the Kindle will 'hang' itself when I try to add books to collections. I even updated the firmware today (Sept. 12); and that didn't fix the problem.

Any suggestions? Or do I need to do a factory reset? I really don't want to do this because I don't want to start over from scratch. I had a really hard time jailbreaking it in the first place.
Do not use the "reset" function!
Version 5.8.10 can not be jail broken.

When you say you are using Librarian Sync - how are you using it?
Making a list of collections manually?
Using the directory structure under /documents to define the collections to Librarian Sync?
Using the interface with Calibre to build the input file for Librarian Sync?
Some mixture of the various ways to use Librarian Sync?
Other?

When you say you sometimes add books to a collection "manually" -
Are you doing it on the Kindle?
Are you doing it on your Amazon account's "Manage Devices and Content" page?
Both?
Neither?
??

The newest (5.8.xx) firmware tries to keep the collection information on the Kindle in-sync with the collection information on your Amazon account.
Which requires a network connection.
Do you have a network connection when you experience the problem(s)?

Have you re-installed Python (and anything else that you had added) after updating the firmware?
Only the jail break survives the Amazon firmware update, anything else has to be re-installed.
The easy rule to cover any and all of our add-ins: "If it seems broke, re-install it."

Have you tried using the search bar command:
;dm
(the semi-colon is part of the command)
to dump and read the system log file(s) to see what they have to say about the apparent hangs?

If not, do so immediately after one of the times you have to restart the system.
"Immediately after" to make it easier for someone to find the 'hang' in the log files ("Immediately after" will make the information be near the tail end of the log).

If the log file is a mystery to you - put it in a zip file and attach it to your next post.

Last edited by knc1; 09-12-2017 at 09:45 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Do not use the "reset" function!
Version 5.8.10 can not be jail broken.

When you say you are using Librarian Sync - how are you using it?
Making a list of collections manually?
Using the directory structure under /documents to define the collections to Librarian Sync?
Using the interface with Calibre to build the input file for Librarian Sync?
Some mixture of the various ways to use Librarian Sync?
Other?

When you say you sometimes add books to a collection "manually" -
Are you doing it on the Kindle?
Are you doing it on your Amazon account's "Manage Devices and Content" page?
Both?
Neither?
??

The newest (5.8.xx) firmware tries to keep the collection information on the Kindle in-sync with the collection information on your Amazon account.
Which requires a network connection.
Do you have a network connection when you experience the problem(s)?

Have you re-installed Python (and anything else that you had added) after updating the firmware?
Only the jail break survives the Amazon firmware update, anything else has to be re-installed.
The easy rule to cover any and all of our add-ins: "If it seems broke, re-install it."

Have you tried using the search bar command:
;dm
(the semi-colon is part of the command)
to dump and read the system log file(s) to see what they have to say about the apparent hangs?

If not, do so immediately after one of the times you have to restart the system.
"Immediately after" to make it easier for someone to find the 'hang' in the log files ("Immediately after" will make the information be near the tail end of the log).

If the log file is a mystery to you - put it in a zip file and attach it to your next post.

Thanks for the tip about the 'reset' button. I have not pressed that yet.
I am including a screenshot of where I am having the problem. With the Kual/Librarian Sync: I was using the interface with Calibre. I use Calibre to transfer all my books, then use the Kindle Collections plugin on Calibre to sync the collections. I then use the "import collections from Calibre" on Librarian Sync on the Kindle to complete the process. Most of the time, this adds all my books to their respective collections.

I started having problems a few days ago (before I updated the firmware) with adding books manually on the Kindle to their respective collections. These were the books that the Librarian Sync did not add. The Kindle hangs up on the screen where you can add an individual book to each collection. The "done" button is at the bottom of the screen; and when I click it; the Kindle does not go back to the home screen.

The screenshot is attached. I have also attached the zip file for the files after I ran ;dm.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kindle Problem 2.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	159054  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Kindle Problem.zip (317.4 KB, 226 views)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can not find where you had to restart the system after a hang within the last 10% of the file.

Give me some hints -
Describe what was done after the last hang until you entered the ;dm command.
Old 09-22-2017, 02:56 PM   #5
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
I can not find where you had to restart the system after a hang within the last 10% of the file.

Give me some hints -
Describe what was done after the last hang until you entered the ;dm command.
I'm not sure I follow. I don't understand any of the dump files.

I've tried doing the ;dm. And I have then tried adding books to the collections on the kindle manually. And then the Kindle hangs up on the collection screen (just like in the attached photo). I then have to reset the kindle in order to get it back to the home screen. After I reset the Kindle, I can read books. But if I try to add any books to any collection, I then have to reset the Kindle after every book. This is the problem. I have never had to do so many resets with the Kindle before.

In other words, I can read books on the Kindle, but not add to collections anymore without a huge hassle.

Last edited by JainaSJedi; 09-22-2017 at 02:58 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:15 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
- - - -
I've tried doing the ;dm. And I have then tried adding books to the collections on the kindle manually. And then the Kindle hangs up on the collection screen (just like in the attached photo). I then have to reset the kindle in order to get it back to the home screen. After I reset the Kindle, I can read books. But if I try to add any books to any collection, I then have to reset the Kindle after every book. This is the problem. I have never had to do so many resets with the Kindle before.

In other words, I can read books on the Kindle, but not add to collections anymore without a huge hassle.
Wrong order, do this:
1) And I have then tried adding books to the collections on the kindle manually.
2) then the Kindle hangs up on the collection screen (just like in the attached photo).
3) After I reset the Kindle
4) NOW use the ;dm command, before doing anything else.
5) stick all four log files (the most recent if you have more than four) in a *.zip file, attach to your next post.

If you could visit here more often that once a week, we could find this problem faster.
Old 09-29-2017, 03:14 PM   #7
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
Wrong order, do this:
1) And I have then tried adding books to the collections on the kindle manually.
2) then the Kindle hangs up on the collection screen (just like in the attached photo).
3) After I reset the Kindle
4) NOW use the ;dm command, before doing anything else.
5) stick all four log files (the most recent if you have more than four) in a *.zip file, attach to your next post.

If you could visit here more often that once a week, we could find this problem faster.

Hi,

Sorry, it's been a crazy week. Thanks for the input. I have followed the above directions and attached the zip file with the 4 log files.

Also, my Kindle stays in Airplane Mode the majority of the time. Would that have something to do with it?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Friday September 29.zip (395.8 KB, 209 views)
Old 09-29-2017, 08:15 PM   #8
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi,

Sorry, it's been a crazy week. Thanks for the input. I have followed the above directions and attached the zip file with the 4 log files.

Also, my Kindle stays in Airplane Mode the majority of the time. Would that have something to do with it?
It might be but give me a chance to read those logs.
It is too late for me to even start doing that tonight, tomorrow at the earliest.
Old 10-23-2017, 07:51 PM   #9
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
It might be but give me a chance to read those logs.
It is too late for me to even start doing that tonight, tomorrow at the earliest.
Sorry about the delay. It's been a crazy month. Any ideas?
Old 10-23-2017, 08:54 PM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Sorry about the delay. It's been a crazy month. Any ideas?
You are asking about something that happened last month?

Post back when you have the time to work on the problem.
I can't work on a one-post-per-month problem with any sense of continuity.
Old 10-23-2017, 10:29 PM   #11
JainaSJedi
Enthusiast

Quote:
You are asking about something that happened last month?

Post back when you have the time to work on the problem.
I can't work on a one-post-per-month problem with any sense of continuity.
Work on the problem? I have done everything you suggested and did post the logs in a zip file as requested. Unfortunately, I do not understand how to read the logs, since I am not a programmer. And yest, I am still having the same problem. I can add one book to one collection; and then have to restart the device in order to read anything on it (or get it to go back to the home screen).

Tags
collections, frozen, jailbreak