Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2018, 02:53 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Bad Romance: A cabal of authors gamed Amazon’s algorithm

The Verge did an interesting article on the hijinks a group of romance authors got up to in order to game Kindle Unlimited payouts. It's kind of depressing, but then I guess there's a reason you don't want to see how the sausage is made.

One interesting point: They say that one of the fallouts of this hacking of the system is that it is making romance more misogynistic. I don't know that I buy that. I know very little about romance, but within the article, they don't really support their claim.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #2
sealbeater
Banned
sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sealbeater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 : Onyx Boox Max : Sony PRS-900 : Onyx Kepler Pro
I'm going to write some cocky bad romance.
sealbeater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2018, 03:31 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
was that pun intended?
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 04:27 PM   #4
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealbeater View Post
I hope you're ready to handle a few lawsuits
Old 07-16-2018, 05:10 PM   #5
skb
Evangelist
skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.skb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod G4, MacOS 10.12, Calibre, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
It reminds me of Grouchos' reply to the Warner Bros letter sent to United Artists when the the Marx Bros were making a movie called "A Night in Casablanca".
skb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #6
hildea
Wizard
hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hildea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch Lux (had Onyx Boox Poke 3 and BeBook Neo earlier)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
One interesting point: They say that one of the fallouts of this hacking of the system is that it is making romance more misogynistic. I don't know that I buy that. I know very little about romance, but within the article, they don't really support their claim.
I agree, that was interesting, but not supported in the article. I read romance (it's among my favourite genres, along with fantasy and SF), but I don't subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, so I don't know how it differs from romance published elsewhere.

I'd guess that people who write romance just for the money, without caring about the genre or the community, are more likely to fall back to lazy cliches from the bad old days in the 80s, like the rapey hero and the innocent virgin heroine, while modern romance has (mostly) moved on from that, in many different and interesting directions.
hildea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 05:21 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hildea View Post
I agree, that was interesting, but not supported in the article. I read romance (it's among my favourite genres, along with fantasy and SF), but I don't subscribe to Kindle Unlimited, so I don't know how it differs from romance published elsewhere.

I'd guess that people who write romance just for the money, without caring about the genre or the community, are more likely to fall back to lazy cliches from the bad old days in the 80s, like the rapey hero and the innocent virgin heroine, while modern romance has (mostly) moved on from that, in many different and interesting directions.
From what my wife had to say when we tried a Kindle Unlimited subscription, it's not the lazy old cliches, it was the books that seemed to be recycled as if written from a very limited supply of story outlines with only the names changed to protect the guilty. Trad publishing tends to do the same with some themes but not to the same unanimity as she was seeing with a good chunk of the indie authors. I'd call them potboilers but that's an insult to potboilers.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
From what my wife had to say when we tried a Kindle Unlimited subscription, it's not the lazy old cliches, it was the books that seemed to be recycled as if written from a very limited supply of story outlines with only the names changed to protect the guilty. Trad publishing tends to do the same with some themes but not to the same unanimity as she was seeing with a good chunk of the indie authors. I'd call them potboilers but that's an insult to potboilers.
The article did mention that the group of authors would all agree to write about a similar subject to push each other's books up in the rankings. I guess if a bunch of people each decide to write a romance about an arrogant real estate agent and have to churn the books out in a month or less, you'll probably get some pretty similar stuff. Just a guess though.