Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #76
demondog
Enthusiast
demondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankinddemondog has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: kobo touch
thx lucas
demondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #77
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ælfstangard View Post
Product: Kobo Aura:
Firmware: N204B34305258:
Plugins: Don't know:
File types: WPD & EPUB:
Sideloaded:
On external SD: Yes:
Steps to reproduce:
  1. [* When trying to convert a WordPerfect WPD document using the HTML to EPUB method, the text and links are rendered correctly but it all of the hard page breaks vanish so the EPUB file is just one run-on document without chapter breaks.]
    [* The same thing occurs even when I use the WPD to E-DOC utility provided by Corel in WordPerfect 6X which does essentially what I have done above: WPD > HTML > EPUB.]
Current result: No chaper or hard page breaks.:
Using OpenOffice to convert the WPD file into an ODT file then processing it into an EPUB file using Calibre works for the page breaks but all the links to chapter heading have to be redone before Calibra will create a table of contents in the EPUB.:

This is the first bug report I have ever posted here so please forgive any noobie slip-ups.
Not sure I'd call this a Kobo issue; I'd suggest asking for help in the calibre / conversion forum instead. Do take the time to read the stickys in that forum on How to ask a question about conversion problems and possibly Chapter Detection/Table of Contents Tutorial.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2013, 05:11 AM   #78
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ælfstangard View Post
Product: Kobo Aura:
Firmware: N204B34305258:
Plugins: Don't know:
File types: WPD & EPUB:
Sideloaded:
On external SD: Yes:
Steps to reproduce:
  1. [* When trying to convert a WordPerfect WPD document using the HTML to EPUB method, the text and links are rendered correctly but it all of the hard page breaks vanish so the EPUB file is just one run-on document without chapter breaks.]
    [* The same thing occurs even when I use the WPD to E-DOC utility provided by Corel in WordPerfect 6X which does essentially what I have done above: WPD > HTML > EPUB.]
Current result: No chaper or hard page breaks.:
Using OpenOffice to convert the WPD file into an ODT file then processing it into an EPUB file using Calibre works for the page breaks but all the links to chapter heading have to be redone before Calibra will create a table of contents in the EPUB.:

This is the first bug report I have ever posted here so please forgive any noobie slip-ups.
I think you should change your css file in epub.
I often put them in h1 and h2 headings.

h1 {
page-break-before: always;
}
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 06:08 PM   #79
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Product: Aura
Firmware: 2.5.2
Plugins: none
Steps to reproduce:
  1. open Solitaire
  2. select "New Game"
  3. leave the selection screen open
  4. manually activate sleep
Current result:
either of these
  1. sleep is activated, selection screen appears above the cover or "Sleeping" screen (disappears when pressed) - happens rarely
  2. Aura reboots - happens about as often as the following:
  3. Aura goes to sleep normally, but when reactivated the screen part where the game or selection box would be is blank ("New Game" can still be pressed and re-opens selection box)
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:05 PM   #80
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle 4
Thank you Jaden. For now I report it as "unconfirmed", until someone anyone else says he experienced this bug
Lucas Malor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-18-2013, 07:26 PM   #81
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse
Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.Lucas Malor will give the Devil his due.

I reordered bugs by firmware in descending order, so it's more simple to see bugs for a specific firmware (even if it's very approximative...)

I also separated unconfirmed bugs from confirmed ones, hoping someone will confirm them some time (as true bugs or invalid ones).
Old 05-19-2013, 01:05 AM   #82
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
Steps to reproduce:
  1. open Solitaire
  2. select "New Game"
  3. leave the selection screen open
  4. manually activate sleep
Current result:
either of these
  1. sleep is activated, selection screen appears above the cover or "Sleeping" screen (disappears when pressed) - happens rarely
  2. Aura reboots - happens about as often as the following:
  3. Aura goes to sleep normally, but when reactivated the screen part where the game or selection box would be is blank ("New Game" can still be pressed and re-opens selection box)
I tried this on my Aura with a different but equally nasty result. After I hit the sleep button, the screen went white. No response to the power button. I tried holding the power button for 20 seconds but still no power on. A pinhole reset restarted the Aura but froze on the boxes going across the screen. I then removed the uSD card and tried another reset which got to the home screen with a collection of gray boxes for thumbnails. Re-inserted the uSD card and froze up again. Time for a factory reset.

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:49 AM   #83
zztush
Connoisseur
zztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toyszztush shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad, iPod and NintendoDS
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
@anyone: the fact the database seems to get corrupted very easily seems to me a big bad bug...

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes the database can be broken by as simple a thing as not disconnect from a PC properly. It can also be broken by poking under the covers. Doing something like forcing a power off at the wrong time would probably do it. With all the stuff you are doing to your Kobo, I am surprised that it took this long.
Kobo minimizes the disc access to minimize battery usage. Therefore it keeps the database information in cash until proper disconnection from a PC. I think it is not wrong and many OS have same behavior.
zztush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:27 AM   #84
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Steps to reproduce:
  1. open Solitaire
  2. activate light
  3. select "Brightness" from the menu
  4. return to game (doesn't matter wether you've changed the brightness level or not)
Current result:
Screen flashes black (inverted) whenever touched.

Workaround:
Either of these will stop the screen flashing:
  1. return to homescreen and reopen Solitaire
  2. open menu, select "Settings", "Battery" or "Help" and close it (no need to change any settings)
Old 05-20-2013, 02:33 AM   #85
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

Added to Unconfirmed as above.
A good workaround would be "stay clear of Solitaire"
Old 05-20-2013, 05:26 AM   #86
ccipri
ccipri began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Max Carta
Bug:
In Reading settings, there is the option: Show page numbers in the margins.
No matter if I enable or disable it, for reading pdf files nothing changes.
I would like to disable the extra page number in pdf files , since anyway the pdf file has it's own numbers, but more important, because I want to save screen-space, which is wasted with the extra page number at the bottom of the screen.
ccipri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:37 AM   #87
Lucas Malor
Pain in the arse

That options will show the consistent page number, placing it to the right of the document. There's (sadly) no option to disable page numbers at the bottom.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:30 AM   #88
Jaden
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas Malor View Post
A good workaround would be "stay clear of Solitaire"

Though if you know about the bugs and don't trigger them, Solitaire works really well.

And at least Freecell can be solved (I only managed to solve one of the others once - that's rather unsatisfactory... do you hear (read), Kobo dev team? :P ).
Old 05-26-2013, 01:56 PM   #89
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Space disappears between italic and normal text

Plugins: KoboTouchExtended 1.3.3
File types: kepub (?)
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: sideloaded
On external SD: main memory

I was editing (in html) a scanned book, added it to Calibre. Transfered it to the Aura. When there was italic on words in a sentence the space around the italic words doesn't show.

Ex. "This is an example." shows as "Thisis anexample."

First I thought I was doing something wrong (as a newbie to Calibre and Kobo) but I later realized that it was the same in an Amazon-bought book (Inferno).

Anyone else seen this? I have not tried to change fonts etc.

---
For the record, the problem was in KoboTouchExtended and was fixed in 1.4.0.

Last edited by patrik; 05-28-2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: Problem gone with 1.4.0 (KoboTouchExtended)
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #90
Mikeyboards
Connoisseur
Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mikeyboards can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: CybkG3; iPads; Kindle PW2, Fire; NookGlow; KoboGlo, Aura HD, Aura One;
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrik View Post
Plugins: KoboTouchExtended 1.3.3
File types: kepub (?)
Sideloaded or from Kobobooks: sideloaded
On external SD: main memory

I was editing (in html) a scanned book, added it to Calibre. Transfered it to the Aura. When there was italic on words in a sentence the space around the italic words doesn't show.

Ex. "This is an example." shows as "Thisis anexample."

First I thought I was doing something wrong (as a newbie to Calibre and Kobo) but I later realized that it was the same in an Amazon-bought book (Inferno).

Anyone else seen this? I have not tried to change fonts etc.
EDIT: Oops, so sorry... all of the following that I had written probably has little relevance, as I hadn't paid enough attention, and now see that you clearly indicated this was a scanned book you were editing, etc.! So you can ignore all of this. Or just read it out of general interest, but most likely not contributing to an answer to your questions!

I remember this being the case for Kobo's version of the Stephen King book "11/22/63." As I recall, a space was lost after any italics leading to non-italics. But I don't remember seeing it lost prior to italics, and I think I would have noticed. I was mad that they never did anything about it after I reported it. (Probably is still that way.) And I ended up buying from Amazon or B&N, I forget which, as their version didn't display the problem. (There were LOTS of italics in the Stephen King book.)

As for "Inferno,", earlier today I happened to view a sample from a borrowable edition of the ebook (epub, presumably) on Overdrive (from within a library website). Overdrive now allows you to view samples of the text of books from within the online browser version of Overdrive, or whatever it is they're using to show the sample. I'm pretty sure there were NO missing spaces before or after the italics, as I probably would have noticed it right away. (I'll go back and look.)

Were you talking about the same book in both Kobo and Amazon? I'll go take a look at their samples. But just wanted to share the info above (like about the Stephen King book), because it definitely sounded familiar to me!

Added note: Here's a link (if it works) to the sample preview of the ePub book in Overdrive. (You'll have to click on the cover page, and click around a bit and/or use right arrows on your keyboard to get to the text areas.) I found a paragraph with a single italicized word sandwiched between two normal words, and it was spaced correctly:
https://sample-48605a05b6ccc83d40cda...inferno-af5caa

Last edited by Mikeyboards; 05-29-2013 at 06:15 PM.
Mikeyboards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pocket app