Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > ePub Books

Notices

Old 08-17-2014, 05:20 AM   #91
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
v.8.1 | Update 17 Aug 2014

I intend to proof most of the books contained in this collection against (if possible) British print editions. Here are the first four, with lots of puncuation and spelling mistakes fixed, but also some missing words and lines restored:

Proofed Monday or Tuesday against the 1921 Harcourt Brace edition and corrected about 50 mistakes. (The first exception to the rule: as the first British edition is riddled with mistakes, I used the first American one. Leonard Woolf famously called the Hogarth Press edition “one of the worst printed books ever published.”)

Proofed Jacob’s Room against the 1929 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 60 mistakes.

Proofed A Haunted House and Other Short Stories against the 1943 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 110 mistakes.

Proofed To the Lighthouse against the 1930 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 630 mistakes and variants (my text was based on an American edition before!), not counting the 400 restored full stops after Mr or Mrs. According to the foreword of the 2000 Penguin edition, the reason for the huge number of variants lies in the fact that Woolf didn’t revise/correct the page proofs of the British and American editions consistently.
I deliberately do not fix mistakes that are in the print editions, but in this case I kept the correction of the misnumbered chapters in the third section “The Lighthouse” (they left out n° 2).
___

Some words on the method I used:
I generated new raw OCRs of the print editions and compared the resulting epubs with the texts of my edition twice, using the Calibre tool. This might not be 100% foolproof, but it’s quite effective. I consider these texts to be fairly accurate now. Please let me know if you find any mistakes in them.
___

By the way, the Digital Library of India is a good resource for scans of books still copyrighted in the US, but public domain in other countries.
___

Does anyone of you own a pre-1943 Hogarth Press edition of The Waves? I was surprised to see in the only one I could find (the 1960 reprint of the 1943 ‘New’ edition) that there are double spaces instead of full stops. I am wondering if this had always been the case (the American editions use full stops). Double spaces would not be a good idea for epubs, so I might work with the American edition for this one.

Last edited by pynch; 09-14-2014 at 12:56 AM.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:07 AM   #92
tempura
Connoisseur
tempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipediatempura knows more than wikipedia

Device: Kindle PW3
Since, I am from India myself specifically the place where the Digital Library of India server is being hosted, I knew about the Digital Library, but I didn't really know about this particular piece of information. So, I thank you for that. Also, good to see a new update. As always you do a wonderful work with your files.
tempura is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #93
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

v.8.2 | Update 14 Sep 2014

Another bunch of books corrected:

Proofed Mrs Dalloway against the 1947 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 530 mistakes and variants.

Proofed The Common Reader I against the 1951 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 40 mistakes.

Proofed Between the Acts against the 1947 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 30 mistakes.

Proofed The Moment, and Other Essays (including On Being Ill) against the 1947 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 290 mistakes and variants.

Proofed Granite and Rainbow against the 1958 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 50 mistakes.

Proofed Women and Writing against the 1979 Harcourt Brace edition and corrected 4 mistakes.

——

I have found the first British edition of The Waves in a library and it does have full stops, so I won’t have to use the American printing. What a relief.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:49 AM   #94
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Great work, pynch! Many thanks for this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:55 AM   #95
pynch
why in?

Thanks, Harry, you’re very welcome.
Advert
Old 10-26-2014, 05:38 AM   #96
pynch
why in?

v.9.0 | Update 26 Oct 2014

I have added the sixth volume of her letters, Leave the Letters Till We’re Dead, which covers the years 1936 through 1941, sourced from a prehistoric CD-Rom (1997 A.D.!). The missing volumes I and II and the early journals will follow as soon as I find the fun in copying and pasting 1500 single pages from the CD.

I’m currently proofreading the essays and reviews of the 6-volume edition and have finished correcting the 173 essays she published between 1919 and 1940. As the essay titles don’t always tell you what they’re about, there’s also an index now of the authors whose books she reviewed.
Old 10-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #97
anacreon
Guru
anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anacreon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa, Sage
Dear Pynch,
Many thanks again! I was in London last week, and visited the very interesting exhibition about Virginia Woolf at the National Portrait Gallery. I've ordered the "catalogue", not really a catalogue, but a book by the curator, which might interest you and others subscribers of this thread.

PS: you forgot to update the list of works in the first post.
anacreon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:33 AM   #98
pynch
why in?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anacreon View Post
Dear Pynch,
Many thanks again! I was in London last week, and visited the very interesting exhibition about Virginia Woolf at the National Portrait Gallery. I've ordered the "catalogue", not really a catalogue, but a book by the curator, which might interest you and others subscribers of this thread.

PS: you forgot to update the list of works in the first post.
Thanks for the info. They also have some materials on their website. (She had that elegant way of smoking a cigarette one doesn’t see that often anymore.)
Old 01-25-2015, 06:47 AM   #99
pynch
why in?

v.9.1 | Update 25 Jan 2015

Proofed The Waves against the 1931 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 330 mistakes and variants.

Proofed Flush: A Biography against the second 1933 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 280 mistakes and variants.

Proofed The Death of the Moth and other essays against the 1981 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 120 mistakes.

Proofed The Captain’s Death Bed and other essays against the 1950 Hogarth Press edition and corrected about 70 mistakes.
Old 02-04-2015, 07:01 PM   #100
johnsalmond
johnsalmond began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks

Pynch:
Thanks for this excellent resource for a wonderful writer who all should read!!
John Salmond
Canberra Australia
johnsalmond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 01:44 AM   #101
pynch
why in?

You’re very welcome.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:31 AM   #102
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
It might be too early in the morning for me to try to explain this, but I think that writers publish their texts and not their lives. And as I worship their writings, anything I add could only reduce them.
Many of the writers whose work is defined popularly by their bios would agree with you. Cf. E. Hemingway, V. Woolf, C. Isherwood, K. Acker, E. St-V Millay, etc. I suspect that even the confessional poets would have concurred (Berryman, Lowell, Sexton, Snodgrass, Plath). Sylvia Plath probably said as much in some interview I've forgotten.

Baudelaire would have laughed, sneered or both at the thought of his bio being important. The astonishingly humble Mr. Keats would have shrugged at the idea, unable to comprehend that any reader could sustain the merest whisper of an interest in K.'s life.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 02-10-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:22 AM   #103
lolalaguna
lolalaguna began at the beginning.

Device: Lev
Lost appendix?

Dear Pynch,
I was reading the essays and I perceived that the appendix of those volumes are not there. Am I wrong? I didn't find them either in the scans you send me to check the eventuals mistakes (I'm sorry for working too slow on it, but my phd requires all my time and eyes and hands). I was looking for a transcript version of Woolf's essay "Byron and Mr Briggs" that should appears, I think, as appendix II on volume III of the essays... Do you know anything about it?

I'm sorry for my poor writing in english

Anyway, greetings from Brazil and thanks again!
Carmen
lolalaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:57 AM   #104
pynch
why in?

I have ignored the transcripts of the unpublished essays when I scanned the books, so I’m afraid I can’t help you.
Old 03-06-2015, 12:47 PM   #105
lolalaguna
lolalaguna began at the beginning.

Device: Lev
Quote:
Originally Posted by pynch View Post
I have ignored the transcripts of the unpublished essays when I scanned the books, so I’m afraid I can’t help you.
It's ok, Pynch, I just wanted to know if I was wrong about it. Thanks!
lolalaguna is offline   Reply With Quote