Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 12:28 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
TIMN: Windows 8 on Samsung Tablet

http://thisismynext.com/2011/09/13/w...video-preview/

Quote:
Powered by a 1.6GHz Core i5-2467M processor and a 64GB solid state drive, the system is absolutely no slouch on performance — everything from scrolling in the browser to the Start screen is extremely speedy and the system boots incredibly quickly. However, fan noise is very noticeable, as is the heat coming out of the top vent, and a fast boot doesn’t excuse the slow wake-up times compared to ARM-based cellphones and tablets.
Looking forward to the ARM version.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:42 PM   #2
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That's a snazzy looking tablet. Kind of digging the Metro UI.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:49 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
That's a snazzy looking tablet. Kind of digging the Metro UI.
Me too-very clean and modern feeling to it.

Gizmodo loves it as well.

Quote:
Then there is the OS itself. The design is just stunning. It really makes you want to dive in and explore, and it's exceptionally easy to poke around in and navigate.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
yeah Window 7 phones are the most under appreciated phones on the market. I love my android but man Windows 7 and Windows 8 IMHO is the slickest OS out there.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
afa
The Forgotten
afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite; Nook HD; Sony Xperia Z3 Compact
In the immortal words of Conan O'Brien:

"Oh, it looks goooood!"

Last edited by afa; 09-13-2011 at 01:53 PM.
afa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:32 PM   #6
OtterBooks
Wizard
OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtterBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4, iPad Mini/Retina
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
yeah Window 7 phones are the most under appreciated phones on the market.
I used a WP7 phone for a while and gotta agree. People have been dismissive of MS's entry into the mobile market, and I think this is a big mistake. The only thing drawing me to the iPhone 5 right now is the lack of strong WP options, and that may change soon.
OtterBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtterBooks View Post
I used a WP7 phone for a while and gotta agree. People have been dismissive of MS's entry into the mobile market, and I think this is a big mistake. The only thing drawing me to the iPhone 5 right now is the lack of strong WP options, and that may change soon.
my upgrade isn't until April of 2012 but when it is I will most certainly give the WP7or 8 a shot. I'm especially interested in see what Nokia is going to do with it. They can come out with some great hardware.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:28 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Windows 7 and Windows 8 IMHO is the slickest OS out there.
winSheep

sorry bowsd I couldn't help it.... I tried to resist really.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
winSheep

sorry bowsd I couldn't help it.... I tried to resist really.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #10
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
I'm hoping that Win8 performs well on the ARM processor and that they polish the software so that they launched with a finished product. If nothing else, Apple needs someone to push them into doing better
stonetools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #11
boswd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonetools View Post
I'm hoping that Win8 performs well on the ARM processor and that they polish the software so that they launched with a finished product. If nothing else, Apple needs someone to push them into doing better
I'm actually quite surprised MS is beating Apple to the punch in this whole converging the mobile OS and Desktop OS without even having a tablet on the market.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Is everybody doing the mobile thing?
Even Ubuntu is going in that direction. Apparently the current version 11.04 can be used with tablets, and the next one will be even better adapted.

Anyway, is win8 supposed to be only for tablets, of for laptops and desktops as well?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:45 PM   #13
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
I'm actually quite surprised MS is beating Apple to the punch in this whole converging the mobile OS and Desktop OS without even having a tablet on the market.
Guess that this answers my question.
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:47 PM   #14
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
It's what the tablet versions of Android and iOS should have been all along. I guess that is why I'm only willing to buy a 7" tablet. Simply because 10" are not productive enough for normal computing.

In my opinion the one area that MS has everyone beat is in productivity applications. For them to have a successful tablet they are going to have to bring those apps to the tablet space and make it effective to use.

BTW MS has always had this angle, all MS tablets where full fledged window devices with the Pen technology.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #15
DebbyS
Zealot
DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DebbyS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Jetbook Lite; Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7.0)
very slightly off topic, just saw this:

Microsoft unveils a radically redesigned Windows 8

http://money.cnn.com/2011/09/13/tech...ws_8/index.htm
DebbyS is offline   Reply With Quote