Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 08-26-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
How would you update the Jetbook?

I am just curious... The Jetbook has been out for a while now so I rather think that its successor is probably somewhere in the product development cycle (assuming of course that Ectaco hasn't decided to get out the ebook reader market place). So if you were designing a Jetbook 2.0 what would you do to make it better?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 05:17 PM   #2
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
interesting topic Bill. let's see what i would add:

- option to take out the rechargeable battery (even though it's easy to do on the jetbook now)

- added color/accent features (thanks to kralik i think we all know how to paint our jetBooks now lol)

- expanded dictionary (its great now, but more words with more definitions should really help us all)

- higher expandable external memory (2GB now is great for the avid reader who loves to take his book collection everywhere he goes, but imagine 32GB - i can have every library on the East Coast!)

- maybe DRM support (i know *none of us strip DRM's* but this added support would be nice)

Those are my main points. Anyone else?
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuBiB View Post
- higher expandable external memory (2GB now is great for the avid reader who loves to take his book collection everywhere he goes, but imagine 32GB - i can have every library on the East Coast!)
Word from two forum members here is that SDHC is now supported up to 32GB.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #4
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
Quote:
Word from two forum members here is that SDHC is now supported up to 32GB.
Tangent...
I've got a 4 gig in mine since .g came out so there are three of us at least. So far it s good except it seems hyper sensitive -- I was reading while charging and it kept thinking the card had to be refreshed (It seems fine with the little cover closed.)

Anyway back to the question asked:

* Another vote for DRM.... yeah, its evil. But its a feature the jetBook lacks that every other reader has. With Sony's new Overdrive library pitch there could be extra incentive even on the 'free' book side.
* Bigger on/off button or maybe a switch.
* Ratings for read books
* Ability to delete folders
* I don't need the dictionary or MP3s or pictures so would personally toss those.
* More font gradients zooming. 16 is a bit big, 12 is too small.
* True Type font support.
* PDF reflow.. wrapping. Any format, actually (though I suppose it'd mess up poetry.)
* A bigger screen (but still cheap price) for reading oversized, graphics heavy computer books.
* Better Mac support -- the USB cable locks every time so I have to use a card reader, plus it won't unmount disks... they constantly re-add themselves.
* RTF (I believe that is the format) page smartly compute for the page button without needing the arrows to advance the rest of the display.
* Arrow down properly compute how far to advance. (May be a bug, though. I noticed it with G that arrow down carries an extra sentence or two at the top of the screen.)
* Wireless download from my NAS/Desktop
* Desktop Software -- sync the read list and above ratings to some sort of tracking system. Could also store book-connected notes, etc.
* Touch screen for highlighting and pen-based note taking
* Color! Its LCD, why can't they make it color -- get the PixelQi screen.
* A little checklist so I can go through those 'books you must read in your lifetime' lists and check them off.

Last edited by artifact; 08-27-2009 at 01:04 AM.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 10:25 AM   #5
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Now that this has gotten started, I will add my own thoughts

1. lets have two versions, the 5" screen version and then maybe an 8" screen version. I would keep the LCD since there is a segment of the market that seems to definitely prefer it to eInk.

2. I would get rid of the left side bar that you can currently use to turn pages. I find it is generally too awkward to use when I am holding it one handed and without it, you could perhaps adapt the left hand side with somesort of handhold.

3. Better PDF support. I don't just want reflow (which after all is only supported if the actual PDF supports it), but also faster page turns. Page turns on regular files are instant, on PDFs they take a second... not usually a big deal, but, hey, this is a wish list .

4. Replaceable battery.

The thought about using a PixelQi screen has occurred to me as well. It would allow for color use.. but is color available without a backlight?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2009, 01:07 PM   #6
LuBiB
Banned
LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LuBiB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, iPhone, JETBOOK COLOR!!
hey bill, from what i understand in order to have a color LCD, there has to be a backlight. It takes an inordinate amount of transistors which consume much more energy so your battery will drain faster.

but here's a cool article on Color LCD's

http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/lcd5.htm
LuBiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:43 AM   #7
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I would like DRM support, PDF reflow, and the ability to delete folders.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #8
Kralik
Guru
Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kralik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rooted NST
Faster processor, more firmware options.
Kralik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 AM   #9
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Artifact,

You CAN delete folders. I've moved most of my books to the SD card and deleted device folders- it runs better with more device room for tasks rather than using it for a books database (I think so anyway). Just don't delete the TOP level folders- "Books" "Pictures". If you can get 10,000 books on a 2G SD card, why clutter up the small device memory with books? After rearranging files, I do a device reset and have had NO problems.

Anyway- desired features:

1. Adjustable margins (without having to use pdf files)
2. Adjustable line spacing (leading) with single spaced being single, not 1.5x or 2x.
3. Ability to puchase a high end dictionary (from Ectaco or from an ebook store) and have the look-up function selectively link to IT rather than to Ectaco's VERY limited English dictionary.

Last edited by Ron46; 01-01-2010 at 11:31 PM. Reason: changed top folder name from settings to pictures
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #10
smithno
Groupie
smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.smithno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook, jetBook Lite, Kindle 3, Galaxy Note II
I'd like to see a serif font.
smithno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:35 PM   #11
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Only two things:
1) Hyperlinks
2) Support for more/user-added fonts
I'd actively resist/sell it on ebay if the following were added:
1) Substantial DRM support (it often screws up other things)
2) Color (no, no, no, it screws up the good daylight readability)
3) Touchscreen (see Color above)

Happy New Year,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:40 PM   #12
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
Right. No color and NO touchscreen. It was the bane of my Palm III. The glare that comes off a touchscreen is a barrier region glare (between the top sheet and the actual screen) that cannot be filtered out with external polarizers. What is so hard about arrowing over to a selection instead of having a touch screen?

There is one touch screen technology that uses no top sheet but an X Y axis beam interruption, but I don't know if it has been developed for handheld devices. It would probably be a battery killer.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #13
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
This is new transflective daylight display technology and no it does not have to be backlit to have color. I have a 4 inch color transflective lcd on my bench right now. The brighter the light the better it looks. I am getting a sample of one that has low power led backlighting that only adds about 8 to 10% more power consumption. The larger concern is the CPU does not have color support right now.

The app note even shows a photo detector circuit to automatically turn on the backlight in low light conditions

Last edited by gr8npwrfl; 01-02-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: additions
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:05 PM   #14
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8npwrfl View Post
...I have a 4 inch color transflective lcd on my bench right now. The brighter the light the better it looks. ... The app note even shows a photo detector circuit to automatically turn on the backlight in low light conditions
All features of the ca. 1999 Compaq iPAQ 3000 series PDA. It was better than nothing, but it really wasn't good enough. My current PDA has a similar display. I don't use it in sunlight if I can help it. Just not good enough.

That technology has been around the barn and no one bought it as a sunlight readable disply. At best, it's a display that doesn't turn completely useless in the sun.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 02:04 AM   #15
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
The display I have is better the brighter the light is. Very very readable in full direct sunlight
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote