Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #106
samtheeagle
samtheeagle is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS505
The essential point here is that whatever cunning DRM system is devised, there are a lot of very clever people out there who will eventually break it!

DRM - It's a fools errand! (IMHO of course) All it has ever achieved is end user frustration.
samtheeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #107
Lilly
Guru
Lilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it isLilly knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS-505, PRS-900 & PRS-950, Amazon Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sony's BBeB (LRX) has yet to be disinfected.
And I will celebrate the day that happens!! I have mine PRS-505 but the only ePud books I have are DRM free, so I'm really looking forward to LRX being set free!

Last edited by Lilly; 02-20-2009 at 10:17 AM.
Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 10:35 AM   #108
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's certainly harmful for users, many of whom will become criminals by using this tool.
One way unjust laws are overturned, is by people refusing to obey them. Jury nullification is (in the U.S.) one of our legal ways of declaring "I don't care what legislators decided... I don't think this act should be punished."

If a law is consistently broken, and the courts can't get convictions for it, that indicates that society as a whole disagrees with the law, no matter how pretty its rhetoric, no matter how compelling businesses may find it.

And civil rights limitations are rarely fixed by changing laws; they are fixed by people refusing to abide by the restrictions placed on them by law. Free speech is a civil rights issue--copyright is not an ownership issue, but a monopoly-of-business issue. And while everyone I know agrees that authors/creators need some rights over their productions, that doesn't mean they agree on what those rights are, or that those rights include making the digital editions more limited than the physical ones.

Used books are a substantial market in the US. There's no reason used ebooks shouldn't also be permitted--or at least, that sharing them should not be permitted. There are technical issues involved in the copying--but those technical issues don't negate one's legal right to resell one's possessions. The focus should be on finding tech solutions to tech problems, not calling people "criminals" for doing what is legal with any other bit of their purchased property.

Format shifting, in the US, is legal. Slapping restrictions on that, and declaring that it's illegal to remove the restrictions, strikes most of us as ridiculous.

When laws are ridiculous, they are ignored, and eventually overturned.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:22 PM   #109
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Me again. I uninstalled Active Python 2.6, reinstalled pycrt, reinstalled adobe, reinstalled both scripts. I installed adeptkey v2 in python 2.6 and on my desktop. I have double clicked - nothing. I also tried command line - nothing. I type adeptkey.pwy, and it returns to the directory.

I'm going to try and reinstall visual C+. I will report. Still
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:28 PM   #110
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No luck. At least I got an error message with v1. Now I get 0.
Advert
Old 02-20-2009, 12:34 PM   #111
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
I just looked at this more... will this not work on Mac... the comments talk about Windows.

BOb
I think it will work on Mac if you substitute the registry requests with the location on the mac. The rest is the same I suppose ...
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:49 PM   #112
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
One way unjust laws are overturned, is by people refusing to obey them. Jury nullification is (in the U.S.) one of our legal ways of declaring "I don't care what legislators decided... I don't think this act should be punished."

If a law is consistently broken, and the courts can't get convictions for it, that indicates that society as a whole disagrees with the law, no matter how pretty its rhetoric, no matter how compelling businesses may find it.

And civil rights limitations are rarely fixed by changing laws; they are fixed by people refusing to abide by the restrictions placed on them by law. Free speech is a civil rights issue--copyright is not an ownership issue, but a monopoly-of-business issue. And while everyone I know agrees that authors/creators need some rights over their productions, that doesn't mean they agree on what those rights are, or that those rights include making the digital editions more limited than the physical ones.

Used books are a substantial market in the US. There's no reason used ebooks shouldn't also be permitted--or at least, that sharing them should not be permitted. There are technical issues involved in the copying--but those technical issues don't negate one's legal right to resell one's possessions. The focus should be on finding tech solutions to tech problems, not calling people "criminals" for doing what is legal with any other bit of their purchased property.

Format shifting, in the US, is legal. Slapping restrictions on that, and declaring that it's illegal to remove the restrictions, strikes most of us as ridiculous.

When laws are ridiculous, they are ignored, and eventually overturned.
When was the last time a major law was overturned by jury nullification? When was the last time a judge explained that this is one of the options to a jury?
When was the last time a judge ruled that people could even stand outside a courthouse handing out literature to prospective jurors explaining this right without fear of being arrested?

Yes, 'jury nullification' is every juror's right - but the current legal system does its very best to ensure no juror EVER finds this out!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:50 PM   #113
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't actually see anything terribly objectionable about ADE DRM; it's a pretty transparent system for the user - it's not like Mobi DRM, where you need to re-download your books if you change your device, and you're in danger of losing them if your retailer goes bust.
I would agree with you if every device supported it. But, DRM is vendor lock-in.. nothing more. It's about money not copyright protection. Content owners WANT you to have to buy the same content over and over. (Evidenced by the 6 devices only limit)

Many of us have done just that, going from records to 8-track to cassette to CD and now to digital. They publishers want it to be illegal to rip our CDs to digital because they think we should pay for the music again. They don't consider that we "OWN" the content the consider that we own the media only... and if we want it on a different format we have to pay again.

These media companies have to change this attitude. There continuing revenue stream should be from people that don't own the content and by creating NEW content that people want. Why do you think they want to keep extending the copyright term? They want to do this so they can keep selling us the same old stuff over and over. They know how much easier it is to re-press a CD from masters and re-sell it that to produce new music.

Oh... well I promised myself I wouldn't get sucked into this discussion and it has happened again.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:01 PM   #114
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
Me again. I uninstalled Active Python 2.6, reinstalled pycrt, reinstalled adobe, reinstalled both scripts. I installed adeptkey v2 in python 2.6 and on my desktop. I have double clicked - nothing. I also tried command line - nothing. I type adeptkey.pwy, and it returns to the directory.

I'm going to try and reinstall visual C+. I will report. Still
After you install the visual c++ runtime stuff, also install PyCrypto 2.0.1 at http://www.voidspace.org.uk/download...in32-py2.6.exe
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #115
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

Add Python 26 to Dep, ran as administrator, get following error

File (stdin) line1 in (module)
NameError: name 'adeptkey' is not defined.

I'm sure this is a dumb mistake. Anyone want to tell me off?
Old 02-20-2009, 01:03 PM   #116
Sydney's Mom
Wizard

I only use mobidedrm on books I have bought, and I only keep that copy, for my own reading. I do not believe that violates fair use, and even if it did, damages are 0. Same with this, if I ever get it to work!
Old 02-20-2009, 01:06 PM   #117
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:

Either you do not have a python script called adeptkey.py, or your copy of Digital Editions has not been registered with Adobe by my way of thinking.
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #118
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Either you do not have a python script called adeptkey.py, or your copy of Digital Editions has not been registered with Adobe by my way of thinking.
I think the latter (not registered), or perhaps only registered for a particular user (i.e. not for the administrator).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:17 PM   #119
i♥cabbages
Leafy greens connoisseur
i♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmosi♥cabbages has become one with the cosmos

Device: PRS-505
Quote:

Ok, it looks what you're doing here is opening the Python interpreter then typing 'adeptkey'. Unfortunately, that's not quite how it works. I do want you to try running adeptkey from the command-line, and here's what to do:
  1. Create a copy of the adeptkey script right in the root of your C: drive. So you should navigate to your C: drive and see "adeptkey.pyw" right there.
  2. Use the Windows "Start" menu (or whatever they call it on Vista) and select the "Run" option.
  3. Type "cmd.exe" (without the quotes) and press "enter" or click "ok"
  4. In that window, type "cd c:\" (no quotes) and press "enter"
  5. Then type "Python26\python.exe adeptkey.pyw" (still no quotes) and press enter.

If it doesn't generate the key, please attach a screenshot of what happens.
i♥cabbages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #120
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by i♥cabbages View Post
[5]Then type "Python26\python.exe adeptkey.pyw" (still no quotes) and press enter.
There's no need to type anything other than adeptkey.pyw as Python sets up the association. I have my copy as adeptkey.py and that worked fine. Maybe it's the .pyw that is the problem?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
adept, adobe epub drm, ainept, drm, drm removal, drm-free epub, inept