Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 03-23-2018, 07:46 PM   #1
jwhittin
Enthusiast
jwhittin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Is anyone else having a problem with The Economist?

Hi,

For some reason, the Economist news download (which I've used for years) is not working for me today. All it downloads are links to the articles, not the articles themselves. Both Ecomonist recipes have the same result. I'm in Australia.

Is anyone else having this problem? I can access the website OK (I'm a subscriber) but it looks like they may have changed the page - it doesn't have a "Print Edition" heading any more.

It could be my end as I've just rebuilt my system, however I've restored all Calibre settings, including recipes, so that *should* be OK.

BTW, what't the difference between the two Economist recipes?
jwhittin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Moderator Notice
Moved to Recipe forum.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Worked for me, yesterday. And there is no difference between the two recipes (they exist for historical reasons).
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 12:30 PM   #4
roginlon
roginlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Something is definitely going on with the Economist. The last couple of weeks the individual articles most of the sections were not available on the Kindle (with internet access disabled) and yesterday, the whole issue is just hyperlinks. Presumably the Economist have done some changes in formatting on their side?
roginlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2018, 09:31 PM   #5
jwhittin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Moved to Recipe forum.
Sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Worked for me, yesterday. And there is no difference between the two recipes (they exist for historical reasons).
I tried it again today with both 3.18 and 3.20 with the same results. I just get a small file full of hyperlinks to the articles but not the articles themselves.

It worked OK last week. Could they have changed the website again?

Is there a log I can send through? Or the downloaded file itself? Would that help?

As a subscriber I guess I can fall back on reading the articles on my PC or tablet but I much prefer reading them on my Sony PRS - something I've been doing now for some years - as it's so much more portable and gives me less less eye strain. Thank you Calibre (and Kovid)!
Advert
Old 03-24-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...a00f36d027bb97
Old 03-24-2018, 11:44 PM   #7
jwhittin
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you! It worked.

I wasn't quite sure what to do so I selected "Add or edit a custom news source" then "Customise builtin recipe" then made your changes to one of the two Economist recipes, saved it, and ran it as a custom news source. It may or may not have been the best way, but it worked.

Thanks again,

John
Old 03-25-2018, 12:02 AM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

You dont need to do anything. Just download it again, recipes are automatically updated.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:45 AM   #9
duhduhduh
duhduhduh began at the beginning.

Device: KINDLE PAPERWHITE
Quote:
Thank you for the quick fix!
duhduhduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
roginlon
roginlon began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Great. Thanks.
roginlon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 09:38 AM   #11
jwhittin
Enthusiast

Quote:
You dont need to do anything. Just download it again, recipes are automatically updated.
Even easier. Many thanks!
Old 05-10-2018, 12:13 PM   #12
gamberoni
gamberoni began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs650
Intermittent issues

I'm getting intermittent issues with the Economist. Sometimes it doesn't work and then later on the same day it functions properly. I have attached the error log if it helps? But I wonder if this is something that happens at particular times of the day?

Update:
Running it now and it seems to be working okay, so it looks like it's a time-of-day issue. I'll need to remember to run the job outside normal UK working hours.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Economist recipe.txt (4.1 KB, 209 views)

Last edited by gamberoni; 05-10-2018 at 06:17 PM.
gamberoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2018, 08:27 AM   #13
bobbysteel
Big Poppa
bobbysteel began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
I usually find after 7pm or 8pm London time it's rather reliable. I also use a shell script to automate the download so if it fails it tries again in an hour or two afterwards which is helpful.
bobbysteel is offline   Reply With Quote