Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #256
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
Don't know what you changed, but now code like...is adding a line of space where there shouldn't be one. These are usually used for page numbers in epub. Before version 1.10 of your plugin the line space wasn't there, but now it is. Explanation?
I have not been able to duplicate this problem. I tested with a couple of books containing page numbers and with a small test book I created just for this purpose. See the ZIP attachment to this post with an EPUB and converted KFX sample. Could you try it and see if the problem occurs for you with that book?

Also, if you have a non-copyrighted book or sample that demonstrates this problem please post it as an attachment so that I can see what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
They are not usually used for page numbers. They are usually used to mark where some version pBook page number is in the ePub. In most ePub, those two sets of spans can be deleted.
You can delete them, but in that case the KFX book created by this plugin will not show page numbers.
Attached Files
File Type: zip page-number-test.zip (32.9 KB, 179 views)
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #257
wanderson
wanderson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11 & Likebook Mars
IMG_CONV_UNKNWON_ERROR...

I'm using Calibre 3.7.0, KFX Output 1.10.0 and Kindle Previewer 3.13.0

I have an ePub that has a lot (twenty-ish) images in it, and I'm trying to convert using the KFX Output plugin. I keep getting failures after long runs with a lot of retries (e.g. retries after erratic conversion errors, per the detailed run output). The specific error that I'm seeing is this one:

ERROR: KFX conversion failed: <p> <book name> <br><br><b>Kindle Previewer error:</b> Exception in thread "main" com.amazon.kcf.conversion.image.e.a: KindleImageConverter Failed with exit code : -1073741819error String: IMG_CONV_UNKNWON_ERROR</p>

Note that "-1073741819" in decimal is 0xFFFFFFFFC0000005 on my 64-bit system, for what its worth. Other than the fact that "UNKNOWN" is misspelled in the error, there is no joy here.

Any insight into what is happening, and what I can do to tweak the ePub?

PS - I kept rerunning the converter, and eventually it completed without errors! As Emily Litella used to say, "Never mind..." Nevertheless, I would like to understand what is going on here.

Last edited by wanderson; 09-02-2017 at 09:51 PM.
wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2017, 10:48 PM   #258
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
Kindle Previewer error: Exception in thread "main" com.amazon.kcf.conversion.image.e.a: KindleImageConverter Failed with exit code : -1073741819error String: IMG_CONV_UNKNWON_ERROR

Any insight into what is happening, and what I can do to tweak the ePub?
As part of the conversion process the Kindle Previewer converts all of the images in the book to JPEG. The program that does this (KindleImageConverter) has bugs that cause it to fail with some specific images, but not every time. The plugin detects when these failures occur and retries the conversion a few times and it is often successful eventually.

This is a long-standing bug in the Kindle Previewer. You may be able to work around the problem by replacing the images, if a book fails this way consistently.

IMG_CONV_UNKNWON_ERROR is one of the many misspelled and grammatically incorrect error message produced by the Kindle Previewer. Normally these messages are not shown to users so Amazon hasn't bothered to clean them up. The plugin captures them and makes them visible to the user.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM   #259
wanderson
wanderson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Gen 11 & Likebook Mars
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderson View Post
I'm using Calibre 3.7.0, KFX Output 1.10.0 and Kindle Previewer 3.13.0 ... eventually it completed without errors!
I must add that the rendering of these KFX books on my Kindle Paperwhite is so poor that I'm going back to AZW3. The results are so much cleaner and more faithful to the original ePub. It is my opinion that the KFX rendering and/or conversion by the Amazon tools has a long way to go. Just my 2¢...

Thanks for all the hard work on the KFX Output plugin, in any case!
wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 04:03 PM   #260
shoelesshunter
copyleft librarian
shoelesshunter began at the beginning.

Device: KV
KFX Output WINE

I am using the plugin on a Windows box with good success, however I will be on a linux workstation soon. Is there a way to have the plugin look for Kindle Previewer in a WINE prefix much like deDRM does?
shoelesshunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2017, 05:06 PM   #261
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoelesshunter View Post
I am using the plugin on a Windows box with good success, however I will be on a linux workstation soon. Is there a way to have the plugin look for Kindle Previewer in a WINE prefix much like deDRM does?
See ==>> posts 248 and 250 in this thread.

Asking the same question repeatedly in the same place is unlikely to elicit a different response ಠ_ಠ

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 12:21 AM   #262
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I actually wrongly attributed it to your plugin when in fact it's Kindle Previewer that's adding the space. It didn't used to do it before so I'm guessing it started with v. 3.13. Your plugin is just taking the output of Previewer as is. I guess I have to resort to deleting those spans with regex, now. (Thanks JSWolf, for the tip!)

Last edited by HowlerX; 09-04-2017 at 12:26 AM.
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 03:00 PM   #263
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Kindle Previewer version 3.14 is now available. The current release of this plugin (1.10.0) appears to work properly with it.

The new Previewer version supports conversion of more books containing tables, including some with table captions.

The new Previewer version also contains some support for conversion of books in Arabic, but this is disabled by default. A future plugin release will allow this to be used.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:15 PM   #264
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Kindle Previewer version 3.15 is now available. The current release of this plugin (1.10.0) appears to work properly with it.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:07 PM   #265
HowlerX
Enthusiast
HowlerX began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Kindle Previewer version 3.15 is now available. The current release of this plugin (1.10.0) appears to work properly with it.
The "anyname.last" function doesn't work anymore as Previewer changes the way it creates directories (I'm guessing).
HowlerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 08:43 AM   #266
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlerX View Post
The "anyname.last" function doesn't work anymore as Previewer changes the way it creates directories (I'm guessing).
You are right. I had not noticed that change.

The next plugin release will handle the new location used by the Previewer for conversion results. I am working on some other plugin changes so it will be a week or so before I have it ready.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #267
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Version 1.11.0 - 16 Oct 2017

Change the ".last" CLI function to work with recent Previewer versions. (Fixes error: "No Kindle Previewer KDF database file found. No conversion results are available.")

Remove the "kfx_output_force_cde_type_ebok" plugin tweak. This feature is now supported through plugin configuration.

List features and metadata of the KFX book in the conversion job log.

Show conversion guidance produced by the Kindle Previewer in the conversion job log. (Previewer version 3.15 or later is required.)

The full conversion log from the Kindle Previewer will no longer be included in the conversion job log. This can be overridden through plugin configuration.

Allow Arabic language books to be converted. (Previewer version 3.14 or later is required. Support for Arabic in Kindle apps/devices is currently incomplete.)

Allow Japanese language books to be converted. (Previewer version 3.15 or later is required. Only horizontal text is supported in Previewer 3.15.)

Handle some additional EPUB problems that would otherwise cause the Previewer to fail. (order of language declarations, incorrectly coded horizontal ellipsis entity)
Old 10-17-2017, 03:18 AM   #268
lyldz
lyldz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite 3
i need help buddy
try to convert epub to kfx with calibre and its give me this error like that

i dont know what is meaning?
(this book is turkish language)

calibre, version 3.9.0
HATA: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Zavallı Necdet</b><br><br><b>Kindle Previewer error:</b> Error(EpubProcessor):E141202: Epub processing failed for input: C:\Users\YLDZ\AppData\Local\Temp\calibre_ygqgd8\sb 14tg\jgrdkookrmgjpydab7zf\0000\conv_resources\conv _tmp\ljmikl.epub</p>
lyldz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 09:34 AM   #269
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyldz View Post
try to convert epub to kfx with calibre and its give me this error like that...
This plugin relies on the Kindle Previewer to do most of the work. The Kindle Previewer was unable to convert that book and unfortunately failed in a way that did not produce a useful error message.

It might be because Turkish is not a language supported by the Kindle Previewer.
Old 10-17-2017, 09:44 AM   #270
Lovepotion
Lovepotion began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you very much for your hard work on this Plugin!

Since I updated the version to 1.11.0 I have the same issue with every conversion, regardless which pre-format I use.

calibre, version 3.9.0
FEHLER: KFX conversion failed: <p><b>Cannot convert Der Engelsturm</b><br><br><b>Kindle Previewer error:</b> Error(EpubProcessor):E141214: Unable to execute the binary: .\bin\yjhtmlcleanerapp</p>
Lovepotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kfx, linux, wine