Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 07-19-2006, 06:16 AM   #16
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
i tried to start xpdf from the command line, and it tells me that DISPLAY is not set properly. Do you think it will work if i set DSIPLAY to 127.0.0.1 ?
No, try setting DISPLAY to :0.0

If that doesn't work, use ps to find the process id of a running xpdf, look into /proc/ID/environ to see what DISPLAY has to be set to.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:17 AM   #17
DHer
Addict
DHer doesn't litterDHer doesn't litter

Device: iliad
@Kristoffer
hm. what a pity.

@tribble
you tried to start xpdf over ssh? where should it be displayed? If everything is configured right you might spawn a window on the pc you're running your ssh client on.
DHer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 06:20 AM   #18
Kristoffer
Kristoffer is on a distinguished road

Device: IRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
No, try setting DISPLAY to :0.0

If that doesn't work, use ps to find the process id of a running xpdf, look into /proc/ID/environ to see what DISPLAY has to be set to.
I set DISPLAY to :0, that's what the start.sh says. It doesn't complain so I guess it's working.
Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:15 AM   #19
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Has anyone found out how to start your own programms by pressing buttons?
Would be a lot more conveient, that the PDF solution
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:29 AM   #20
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tribble
Has anyone found out how to start your own programms by pressing buttons?
Would be a lot more conveient, that the PDF solution
I don't have my Iliad by hand. Try this:

Make a textfile /usr/bin/eba with this contents: (Second line is dot space dblquote dollar at dblquote)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
. "$@"
Make it executable (via "chmod 755 /usr/bin/eba")

Now copy a shell script into a document folder (i.e., newspapers,documents,etc) but give it the extension ".eba", for example:

run-wired.eba could look like this:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/wired.sh start
Now clicking ("viewing") the run-wired.eba file from the gui should start wired networking.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #21
Tscherno
iLiad Geek
Tscherno began at the beginning.

Device: iLiad #505; Sony T1, Amazon Paperwhite first Gen & sec is coming!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali

Make a textfile /usr/bin/eba with this contents: (Second line is dot space dblquote dollar at dblquote)
Code:
#!/bin/sh
. "$@"

Now copy a shell script into a document folder (i.e., newspapers,documents,etc) but give it the extension ".eba", for example:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/wired.sh start
Now clicking ("viewing") the run-wired.eba file from the gui should start wired networking.
Great idea! But could cause trouble if they deliver the "real" eba-thing. How about creating an Entry in the Config-File for .sh-Files?
Tscherno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 07:47 AM   #22
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tscherno
Great idea! But could cause trouble if they deliver the "real" eba-thing. How about creating an Entry in the Config-File for .sh-Files?
Should also work. Until they deliver a new er_registry.txt. In the end, it doesn't matter.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:10 AM   #23
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali

Make a textfile /usr/bin/eba ...
I think we must offer a solution for people do not willing to try the ssh connection (thus the pdf idea) and then another more interesting set of patchs for advanced users.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:12 AM   #24
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristoffer
I set DISPLAY to :0, that's what the start.sh says. It doesn't complain so I guess it's working.
You guess? You can not see it?

Try to use the /usr/bin/displayMgrClient utility to update the display. Accoding its help, you can also set a frequency of update (integer multiples of one second )
Old 07-19-2006, 09:23 AM   #25
ali
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
I think we must offer a solution for people do not willing to try the ssh connection (thus the pdf idea) and then another more interesting set of patchs for advanced users.
I guess the way is to provide a pair of shell script & pdf file to be copied into, say, newpapers, so that double-clicking in the pdf starts /mnt/free/newspapers/hackit.sh (assuming there's no "noexec" mount option set for /mnt/free, but at least /etc/fstab doesn't contain it). hackit.sh could then patch er_registry.txt.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:26 AM   #26
arivero
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
I guess the way is to provide a pair of shell script & pdf file to be copied into, say, newpapers, so that double-clicking in the pdf starts /mnt/free/newspapers/hackit.sh (assuming there's no "noexec" mount option set for /mnt/free, but at least /etc/fstab doesn't contain it). hackit.sh could then patch er_registry.txt.
Yes, it is the right way. We can do a complete A5 document letting users to test the innovations without installing and letting them to permanently install the modifications by executing hackit.sh
Old 07-19-2006, 09:36 AM   #27
R2D2
Mad Scientist
R2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litterR2D2 doesn't litter

Device: Zaurus, HTCMagician, iLiad
*thumbsup*
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 09:52 AM   #28
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
great idea!

That way people like me (programming Noobs...) can play around with stuff without damaging their system...^^
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:02 AM   #29
tribble
iLiad Maniac
tribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it istribble knows what time it is

Device: Bookeen Opus (i love that thing) and iPad (what an irony)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali

Code:
#!/bin/sh
   . "$@"

Code:
#!/bin/sh
   /usr/bin/wired.sh start
Works like a charm. Guess i have to try just extending the registry file and add another programm with an additional file extension.

/EDIT. Added a wlan startscript

Code:
 #!/bin/sh
 /usr/bin/wireless.sh start <ssid> enc <key>
<ssid> being your ssid and <key> your wepkey

Last edited by tribble; 07-19-2006 at 10:05 AM.
tribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2006, 10:07 AM   #30
Kristoffer
Kristoffer is on a distinguished road

Device: IRex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
You guess? You can not see it?

Try to use the /usr/bin/displayMgrClient utility to update the display. Accoding its help, you can also set a frequency of update (integer multiples of one second )

Hehe, yeah, it's working, no more guessing neccessary
Screen gets updated in the specified period...
Kristoffer is offline   Reply With Quote