Notices

Old 08-23-2011, 03:53 AM   #1
adam l
adam l began at the beginning.

Device: PB 603
PDF with CCITT images

Hi All,

I have just purchased my new PB 603 and encountered that it does
not display images in PDF with CCITT B/W encoding.

Does any version of software solve this issue?

Adam
adam l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:49 AM   #2
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Hi Adam, welcome to mobileread!

Unfortunately I can't help you with your problem, only offer two ways that you could try:

- Have you tried both pdf viewers? The Pocketbook 603 has the "Adobe Reader" and "pdfviewer" to display pdf-files.

- Do you have a possibility to change your pdf file, like, for instance, go in Adobe Acrobat to Advance/Optimise pdf and change the compression style from ccitt4 to zip?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 AM   #3
adam l

Hi,

I have tried Adobe Reader - it is displaying the images, but when the page does not fit the screen I cannot scroll through the page, I just can see the top of the page (in landscape mode), pressing the down button does not work; pressing page down button turns to the next page

pdfviewer does display the PDF file but the CCITT images are blank (white).

Of course I can change my files to PDF with deflate images.

But the CCITT images that are 1-bit (B/W) are about 2 times smaller than those compressed with deflate. I have some scanned documents I would like to read I this is the first time I have encountered a reader that has problems with displaying CCITT images.

regards,
Adam
Old 08-23-2011, 07:54 AM   #4
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by adam l View Post
I just can see the top of the page (in landscape mode), pressing the down button does not work; pressing page down button turns to the next page

Just to be clear: as the "down button" do you use the same button of the 4-way-menu-button like in portrait mode or do you use the side that points downwards after turning the device 90 degrees to landscape mode?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
adam l

Unfortunately does not work.

None of the button helps.

When I press the button which points left in landscape mode, the reader turns one page back. The down button does not cause any reaction.

I guess that fbreader won't have CCITT support for some time.
I have investigated this subject and I see that pdfreader uses the poppler library.
And the poppler library is missing the ccitt support still in the newest version :/
Advert
Old 08-23-2011, 12:32 PM   #6
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
Quote:
I have tried Adobe Reader - it is displaying the images, but when the page does not fit the screen I cannot scroll through the page, I just can see the top of the page (in landscape mode), pressing the down button does not work; pressing page down button turns to the next page
This works on older versions of the firmware. I'm still using 2.0.4, and the up/down buttons scroll the pages if necessary. I don't see a way of following links, though, so I wonder if they remapped the up/down buttons for links and thus broke the scrolling in later firmware versions. Can links be followed in AdobeViewer in recent firmware versions?
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 01:10 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I made my own PDFs based on scans of my old technical books, and I used Group4 CCITT compression on the B/W scans. My PDFs are readable under both AdobeViewer and pdfviewer without problems. The difference may be that I converted the scans to the TIFF format before incorporating them in the PDFs. I'm guessing that the viewers then use libtiff to decode the images, which handles the CCITT decompression. If you are creating the PDF files yourself from scans, you could try doing the same thing.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:50 AM   #8
adam l

I have converted a PDF file using IrfanView.
You can choose the compression method for the B/W images.
There are 2 types: deflate (ZIP) and CCITT FAX4.
I will try again.

Which version of software are you using? I have updated to 2.1.1

Adam
Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard

Quote:
I have converted a PDF file using IrfanView.
You can choose the compression method for the B/W images.
There are 2 types: deflate (ZIP) and CCITT FAX4.
I will try again.

Which version of software are you using? I have updated to 2.1.1

Adam
I have 2.0.4 on my reader. I uploaded a copy of an old paper of mine that I made into a PDF to my website. You can grab a copy and see if it works under 2.1.1 (and I would definitely like to know if it doesn't, since most of my old technical stuff was converted the same way). The URL is: http://www3.telus.net/rkomar/cer.pdf

I'm a Linux user, so I've never tried IrfanView. My workflow in the conversion is to first convert the scans (in PNG format) to TIFF with CCITT Group4 compression, cleaning them up and aligning them properly along the way. The separate TIFF files are then amalgamated into a single multipage-TIFF file using tiffcp. The multipage-TIFF file is converted to PDF using tiff2pdf. Both tiffcp and tiff2pdf are part of the libtiff package. I usually create a new PDF from the last using ghostscript so that I can add bookmarks and title, author,... info to the file.

I doubt if you will want to use the same tools under Windows, but maybe this will give you some hints on how to go about it with whatever tools you have.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 AM   #10
adam l

Thanks!

It works!

PDF files with CCITT encoding work well. But only those crated with libtiff. Those created with IrfanView are somewhat not compatible.

That's fine for me.
Thank you very much!

regards,
Adam
Old 09-01-2011, 03:50 AM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

Great! It's also good to know that my files will continue to work if I ever update the firmware.