Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 AM   #16
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur
Bob Brunius began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW & Kobo H2O
Thanks David, that worked.

How did you come by this wealth of knowledge?
Bob Brunius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:27 AM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Curiosity and a reasonably good memory. I've been using a Kobo ereader for a little more than three years, and from the first time I connected it to my PC I started to look into how it worked. And I've spent far to much time here that should have been spent reading

And I suppose I should point to Kobo Device Driver Update and Kobo Utilities.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Using the Kobo Aura browser I see a momentary screen color reversal happen once a minute. Whites become black and blacks become white. It's distracting. I'm not sure if this is related to being put to full screen or not. I'll turn it back to being not full screen and see if it still happens.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:34 PM   #19
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
If you do any updates (through JavaScript or whatever) the browser would feel obligated to refresh the screen from time to time to avoid ghosting issues. Not sure if the Kobo Patcher and the screen refresh settings affect this in any way...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 12:42 AM   #20
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

I refresh some numbers on the the screen once a second using javascript. It's just once a minute the the screen flashes the reversal on the H2O. It does not happen on regular browsers and it does not happen with the Kindle Paper White experimental browser.
Advert
Old 03-25-2015, 01:34 PM   #21
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Does anyone know of a way to kill the browser and/or start the browser from the command line - using a WiFi telnet connection or usb network.
Old 03-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #22
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I thought of a way you could start the web browser from the command line. As long as nickel is running, you could simulate the touch events needed to launch the browser. In this post joris_ explains how to simulate touches.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 02:18 PM   #23
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The touch method works fine. I'd not use echo, just record each sequence with cat to a file and then cat the file back to replay.

But it's quite a sequence if you want it to be reliable. Since the web browser tab might move around, you have to go through menu -> settings -> beta features -> web browser.

And that's only if you're currently in a place where the menu is available. I.e. not when reading a book, where you first have to tap the menu zone. And if the menu zone was already open, well... so you have to do this twice to be sure. And that's not considering other strange apps like sudoku where you'd have to hit the lower right corner to quit.

And if you want the browser to go to a specific URL... ah well, you can actually set a home URL so that's one less headache.
Old 03-26-2015, 02:40 PM   #24
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
I thought of a way you could start the web browser from the command line. As long as nickel is running, you could simulate the touch events needed to launch the browser. In this post joris_ explains how to simulate touches.
This could be a way for me Kevin but I couldn't make any sense from that one post. We're simulating and X Y coordinate for the finger press apparently?

Is there some documentation somewhere on what the content format is for what is needed to placed in event0?

Last edited by Bob Brunius; 03-26-2015 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:14 PM   #25
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

@frostschutz It all sounds unreliable doesn't it. I may not have access to the touchscreen but I will have access to the power button so in the case of a power up the H2O should be in the same starting point always so maybe it works until a software revision is pushed?

It's just hard to accept that there isn't a CL command that would cause the browser to start. I guess if there was one someone would know it by now. I have no idea how to even look.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:15 PM   #26
frostschutz
Linux User

You run this command:

Code:
cat /dev/input/event1 > /tmp/input.data
Then you tap the screen. Then you break the cat with CTRL-C.

Now that tap is recorded in /tmp/input.data and you can re-play it:

Code:
cat /tmp/input.data > /dev/input/event1
So to start the browser you have to record the home tap (that brings you to the home screen if you were elsewhere), followed by the menu tap, settings tap, beta features tap, web browser tap. Re-played in sequence (with a 1-2 second delay between them) it should get you into the browser.

I used the same technique here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257511

The page flip is achieved by re-playing a next page tap I previously recorded...

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-26-2015 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-26-2015, 03:23 PM   #27
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Remember this device was not really intended for the type of hacking you are attempting; it was never meant as an environment where someone might want to launch the browser (or any other component) from a command line.

The browser is just a portion of the main application on the device, Nickle.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:19 PM   #28
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
You run this command:

Code:
cat /dev/event/input1 > /tmp/input.data
Then you tap the screen. Then you break the cat with CTRL-C.

Now that tap is recorded in /tmp/input.data and you can re-play it:

Code:
cat /tmp/input.data > /dev/event/input1
So to start the browser you have to record the home tap (that brings you to the home screen if you were elsewhere), followed by the menu tap, settings tap, beta features tap, web browser tap. Re-played in sequence (with a 1-2 second delay between them) it should get you into the browser.

I used the same technique here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=257511

The page flip is achieved by re-playing a next page tap I previously recorded...
This is very promising thanks! One small adjustment/typo to mention for others:

Code:
cat /dev/input/event1 > /tmp/input.data
Old 03-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #29
Bob Brunius
Connoisseur

What is the difference between event0 and event1?
Old 03-26-2015, 04:52 PM   #30
frostschutz
Linux User

event0 is mxckpd, event1 is zForce-ir-touch

in other words, I have no clue :P

kpd could be keypad so maybe if a device had hardware keys they'd register there

Tags
android, aura, browser, full screen, kobo