Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-25-2017, 08:53 PM   #16
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What you just said is all wrong. New firmware does not screw up previous firmware. Plus, if you don't want the latest firmware, you can go back unlike Kindle firmware where once you go forward, there you stay.

The issue wasn't about firmware, it's about why the new Oasis needs 12 LEDs when less will work just fine and less LEDs means less battery used when the light is on.
Sorry you missed the sarcasm.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:49 PM   #17
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I do have a light question. Why is it that eInk Readers with a light and capacitive touch can sometimes show color blotches? This has happened with both Kobo and Kindle.
All lights can rainbow.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 11:26 PM   #18
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by NullNix View Post
It's just as likely to be sweat etc from the fingers triggering diffraction effects in a sufficiently thin layer.
That's definitely a plausible explanation, but not likely the cause in this case since people are/were seeing it before they had used the device (so no finger secretions on it).
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:55 AM   #19
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Oasis 3
Those cones were the worst. And made even worse by having them on the side of the screen-making each line of text a uniquely individual blotchy, shadowy mess. This is the only thing stopping me from selling my lungs on the black market to get that Oasis 2. I simply cannot go through the disappointment again. Those threads on Mobileread arguing about who sees intensified the poor experience.
Right now im very happy with my Kobo Aura One but I do miss Amazon's premium finish feel that Kobo devices dont really have. I always subconsciously compare the two ereader brands to Apple and Samsung. Looking forward to the initial reviews on Mobileread.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 08:08 AM   #20
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I like the lights on my Paperwhites. The lights were the only thing I liked about the Voyage. So, although I'm waiting for my first Oasis, I'm betting I'll like the lights on the Oasis, too.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 06:08 PM   #21
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
All lights can rainbow.
Not monochrome red lights.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:51 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
All lights can rainbow.
I've not read of color patches with Readers that us IR touch. It's only capacitive touch where you get the color patches. I don't think it's the LEDs. I think it's the capacitive layer causing it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 07:53 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
Right now im very happy with my Kobo Aura One but I do miss Amazon's premium finish feel that Kobo devices dont really have. I always subconsciously compare the two ereader brands to Apple and Samsung. Looking forward to the initial reviews on Mobileread.
I've held a PW3 and I don't think it's a premium finish. Kobo & Kindle are no better than the other in terms of the plastic body. If you want a Reader that has a premium finish, the Sony Reader PRS-650 is it with an aluminum body.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:34 PM   #24
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
I've not read of color patches with Readers that us IR touch. It's only capacitive touch where you get the color patches. I don't think it's the LEDs. I think it's the capacitive layer causing it.
Remind me next week to wash the living room light fixture and turn on the light while the fixture is off to see if the led bulb rainbows on the tv screen like the CFL bulbs did.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 09:09 PM   #25
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Do frontlit IR touch devices even exist? (Never seen one, but wouldn't the light guide layer potentially cause the same splotching issue?)
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2017, 11:10 PM   #26
rashkae
Wizard
rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rashkae ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrf View Post
Do frontlit IR touch devices even exist? (Never seen one, but wouldn't the light guide layer potentially cause the same splotching issue?)
Kobo made several.. (The first glo, Glo HD, first generatin of H20, Aura HD)

I think the first Nook Glowlight was IR as well, but I'm not so certain.

I don't think we'll be seeing any more. The Glo HD proved how superior IR could be in terms of visual quality of the screen, but everyone wants flush bezel.
rashkae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #27
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
The Glo HD proved how superior IR could be in terms of visual quality of the screen, but everyone wants flush bezel.
Yeah, IR touch makes for a clearer screen, but if it's frontlit, doesn't the display still need the plastic (light guide) layer?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:57 AM   #28
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My PW3 has a Blue Background No Cones show up. Its the "white one" On the other hand my Kobo Aura is the same as any other ereader Shades od Grey it doent have the Cones either. I Looked at the 1st Oasis in Best Buy, they put one on display 2 weeks ago. All I saw was a Row of Cones. Just my thoughts.....

Last edited by Barbara1955; 10-27-2017 at 08:43 PM.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:50 AM   #29
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

So why is it that with more LEDs the original Oasis has light cones in some cases?
Old 10-27-2017, 05:58 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rashkae View Post
Kobo made several.. (The first glo, Glo HD, first generatin of H20, Aura HD)

I think the first Nook Glowlight was IR as well, but I'm not so certain.

I don't think we'll be seeing any more. The Glo HD proved how superior IR could be in terms of visual quality of the screen, but everyone wants flush bezel.
Isn't the Aura 2nd Ed also IR touch?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote