Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-12-2019, 04:04 PM   #1
sovre
Zealot
sovre began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Mini; iPhone; Kindle Paperwhite (10th gen)
sync calibre managed books between kindle readers

I use Calibre to sideload books onto my Kindle Paperwhite

Recently my Kindle fell into water and the touch screen no longer works, however the books are still accessible when I plug it into my PC.

Is if there is some way for me to use Calibre to copy/sync all of the books from my no longer operational Kindle Paperwhite onto another device, like the Kindle app on my iphone?

Ideally, if possible, I would like to transfer them to another device and preserve the data relating to reading position, bookmarks, etc.

Also, on a related topic, I am considering replacing the Kindle with a Kobo reader. But I have the same concern about preserving/transferring the position/bookmark data related to my ebooks. Using Calibre, is there a way to transfer everything from a Kindle to a Kobo that preserves that data? If not, is there any other utility available that would do this?

Thanks for your help!
sovre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:25 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
The filename.sdr sidecar folders contain the annotations, bookmarks, etc. You're going to need another e-ink Kindle if you want to be able to transfer those. Copying the entire documents folder using a file manager should do the trick. Although some newer firmware versions or Kindles might require renaming the files inside the .sdr folder.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2019, 01:38 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by sovre View Post
Also, on a related topic, I am considering replacing the Kindle with a Kobo reader. But I have the same concern about preserving/transferring the position/bookmark data related to my ebooks. Using Calibre, is there a way to transfer everything from a Kindle to a Kobo that preserves that data? If not, is there any other utility available that would do this?
No, there isn't. I have never seen any real information about how the Kindle stores reading position other than mention of the .sdr files. But, even then, converting the location in one book format to another is problematic.

There are tools and plugins to get annotations from some devices, but, to the best of my knowledge, there are none to return it to the devices.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote