Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2015, 10:30 AM   #1
Momro
Momro began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Keyboard
De-Register Managed Device

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to de-register a managed device of which I don't know who is managing it. It is a Kindle Keyboard 3G/WiFi.

I've already jailbreaked it, installed USBnetworking, and SSH'ed into it to try a few things out. Some of my information is from the MobileRead Wiki, and a lot comes from turnkeylinux.org. I also found a tutorial here on mobileread.com on Fake-registering a Kindle.

Anyway, I couldn't find further information on how to de-register a managed device, even though I went through all the steps to fake-register the device like in the later tutorial.

Does anyone have an idea what I could do to de-register my device?

Thanks in advance!
Momro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Go to the 'Manage devices' page of your Amazon account.
OR
Use the device itself to do the deregistration, if it is registered to someone else's account.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
How I deregistered a K3. On the device, push the menu button, highlight the deregister, push the enter button.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 01:26 AM   #4
Momro

Hi there,

if it were that easy, I could have done it myself, but I admit I haven't stated my situation in full detail: the button is greyed out and I cannot click it (and I'm on my home WiFi). I cannot de-register it on the website because it is not registered on my account, and I cannot see on which account it is.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 12-09-2015, 01:35 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Where did you get it from? Presumably they know which account it is registered to...

As for the grayed-out Deregister button, do you have Parental Controls enabled? IIRC, that blocks deregistration. (Did that feature appear as early as the K3? Can't remember, before my time. )
You might be able to unset it from the CLI prompt, but I'm afraid I have no idea what the incantation might be.

The DO_FACTORY_RESTORE file flag won't work on pre-Touch devices, so that's out.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-09-2015, 06:31 AM   #6
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momro View Post
Hi there,
if it were that easy, I could have done it myself, but

I admit I haven't stated my situation in full detail:

the button is greyed out and I cannot click it (and I'm on my home WiFi). I cannot de-register it on the website because it is not registered on my account, and I cannot see on which account it is.

Thanks again for your help!
Back up a bit further -
Why do you want to de-register this device?
What do you hope to achieve?

- - - -

One bit of warning -
**DO NOT** put the device into 'diags' mode - this may be one of the K3 devices that requires the serial port to get out of 'diags' mode.

(Unless of course you have the serial port connection already made and are comfortable using it.)
Old 12-10-2015, 01:39 AM   #7
Momro

"Where did you get it from? Presumably they know which account it is registered to..."
=> It's from my boss. She said it was a gift (we're an NPO)

"Why do you want to de-register?"
=> (Of course) because it's not registered on my name, or that of my NPO ;-)
Old 12-10-2015, 03:34 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I believe that a Factory Reset will deregister it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 12:57 PM   #9
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I believe that a Factory Reset will deregister it.
I know a factory reset will deregister a Fire.
Come to think of it with any of the Kindle's from at least the K1-K5, I would recommend a Factory Reset over just deregistering. The reason being is just deregistering does not get rid of the previous owner's books and other files.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:07 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I thought Parental Controls also stops factory resetting.

I still want to know why deregistration won't work. The only reason I can think of is Parental Controls, and the OP has neither confirmed nor denied that that is active.
I assume that is what is meant by "managed device".
Old 12-10-2015, 01:41 PM   #11
Momro

Hi there,

I don't know if it's parental management. How could I find out?

And can you please shortly tell me how to do this factory reset for this device? That would be very helpful! Thanks in advance! :-)
Old 12-10-2015, 02:34 PM   #12
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Easy way to find out about Parental controls.
Ask the person that gave it to you.
Old 12-10-2015, 03:56 PM   #13
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=201242840

Oh cool. It sounds like even though they disable the menu option to reset/deregister, they still allow you to use the "secret" reset code in the password field. Unless they are mixing sections.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:32 PM   #14
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
- - - -
The reason being is just deregistering does not get rid of the previous owner's books and other files.
They are still there, only the names are deleted and the files can be recovered by any decent FAT-32 un-delete program.

I.E: 'Factory reset' does not do a secure erase.
Old 12-10-2015, 04:38 PM   #15
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Well, this is the first time I have ever heard someone being actively upset about having someone else's books on available on their Kindle (for free).
I am pretty sure you don't need a secure erase that badly either.