Notices

Old 10-12-2019, 03:37 AM   #1
Galimah
Galimah began at the beginning.

Device: None
Question Help with Epub formatting - Smashwords Epub Checklist

Hi Guys,

I hope you could be of assistance.

I have recently published two e-books on Smashwords.
It's two comic books that has been converted from PDF to Epub.
Unfortunately it failed the Smashwords Epub checklist, and am not sure what needs to be fixed. I have communicated with several formatting authors on the site but was not able to identify the issue.

I'd be grateful if anyone could assist me please.

TIA
Galimah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 11:29 PM   #2
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galimah View Post
Hi Guys,

I hope you could be of assistance.

I have recently published two e-books on Smashwords.
It's two comic books that has been converted from PDF to Epub.
Unfortunately it failed the Smashwords Epub checklist, and am not sure what needs to be fixed. I have communicated with several formatting authors on the site but was not able to identify the issue.

I'd be grateful if anyone could assist me please.

TIA
Well, nobody can help you with what you've described. Nobody. You'll need to explain:
  • HOW you created the ePUB; (What software you used, how you used it);
  • What the error messages were, when the ePUB failed intake at Smashwords.

Once you fill us in on that, we'll probably have more questions and ask to see code, but...we have to have a place to start.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 04:01 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Conversion from PDF to ANYTHING is often doomed.
You need to use either HTML or DOCX and then Calibre or Sigel to convert.

As Hitch says, without more info we can't imagine the problem. There is also an online epub check run by the daisy group, who I think develop epub.

Is the complaint about TOC or content?

PDF is SOLELY a format for paper printing and perfect screen preview of the print job and defines an exact physical page size.

All ebook formats are independent of page size, being internally like HTML (or actually HTML + CSS) and not at all intended for paper. They are supposed to reflow on differing sized screens and also when font changes.

Comics may often be image based so are challenging to package up as ebooks except for larger ereader screens. Smashwords don't support any of the the specific comic / manga formats which are really wrappers on multiple images.
A PDF is also a wrapper, but can have postscript like text, vector images and bitmap images as well as layers per page. Unlike any ebook the page is a physical size and it's not meant to ever flow or resize content.

Use some other method to export your artwork than PDF.

Last edited by Quoth; 10-17-2019 at 04:09 AM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 12:05 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
(Emphasis added by me.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Well, nobody can help you with what you've described. Nobody. You'll need to explain:

Once you fill us in on that, we'll probably have more questions and ask to see code, but...we have to have a place to start.
I wish I had a nickel for every post for which the above would be the optimum starting template.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 05:33 PM   #5
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
(Emphasis added by me.)

I wish I had a nickel for every post for which the above would be the optimum starting template.
Hell with that, I wish I had a nickel for every thread where we tried, ANYWAY!

Hitch
Advert
Old 10-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I'd rather someone start with a tentative post, as in this case, rather than splattering a thousand word paragraph of what they probably regard as Joycean prose to ask how to add inline images to their book.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:20 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I'd rather someone start with a tentative post, as in this case, rather than splattering a thousand word paragraph of what they probably regard as Joycean prose to ask how to add inline images to their book.

BR
The problem is we seem to go between two extremes where the OP either gives no useful information and never responds to requests for more information or they give multiple pages without spoiler tags or worries about relevance to the problem.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-17-2019 at 11:25 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 09:00 AM   #8
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:

BR
I dunno, Red, it seems to me it's not that hard to hang out here for a few hours, read threads, see how problem-solving is achieved and then follow the example.

But, noooo, as always people either don't care if they waste our time, or their problem is the end of the world as we know it, and of course, we're all psychics. (sigh).

Yes, I realize I've been on MR for a long time now and it's obvious to me, but still.

Hitch
Old 10-18-2019, 10:03 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Hell with that, I wish I had a nickel for every thread where we tried, ANYWAY!

Hitch
I wish I had a nickel for every eBook that has poor CSS. If I did, I'd have a lot of money. as this means I get a nickle for every eBook put out by the big 5 and then some.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 10:04 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I dunno, Red, it seems to me it's not that hard to hang out here for a few hours, read threads, see how problem-solving is achieved and then follow the example.

But, noooo, as always people either don't care if they waste our time, or their problem is the end of the world as we know it, and of course, we're all psychics. (sigh).

Yes, I realize I've been on MR for a long time now and it's obvious to me, but still.

Hitch
What I find is a real bother is when someone asks for help and we start to help and the OP never comes back.
Old 10-18-2019, 01:48 PM   #11
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Well, it's the kind of thread which, if it simmers on for a week or two, might deliver solutions to all imaginable pdf to epub issues, perhaps even the OP's, even if they never return...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2019, 05:52 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What I find is a real bother is when someone asks for help and we start to help and the OP never comes back.
Because of PM's I sometimes get, I know the reason some don't come back to a thread they start is because the proffered help is delivered in derogatory or belittling terms. Or so full of jargon and vernacular it's incomprehensible

BR
Old 10-18-2019, 05:55 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Because of PM's I sometimes get, I know the reason some don't come back to a thread they start is because the proffered help is delivered in derogatory or belittling terms. Or so full of jargon and vernacular it's incomprehensible

BR
So why not just say you don't understand? We'd know to try to explain better.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:20 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Most people know when they're being put-down, some would rather walk away rather than ask why - call them snowflakes if you must. BTW I am not thinking of you, you may be many things but scornful or contemptuous you're not

BR
Old 10-18-2019, 06:55 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Most people know when they're being put-down, some would rather walk away rather than ask why - call them snowflakes if you must. BTW I am not thinking of you, you may be many things but scornful or contemptuous you're not

BR
Thank you. I can be sometimes but only if the OP is asking for help with pirating eBooks. There are some things that trigger the thought that maybe the question is asking for help with pirated eBooks. So I will ask about it before trying to help.

And I'm not happy if the OP is asking for help on an eBook that the OP is getting paid to make without telling us first.

But other then that, I'm OK. Like with the OP in this thread. It's been said upfront that the eBook is for Smashwords.