Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-02-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
maraby
maraby began at the beginning.

Device: kindle DX
Kindle DXi 2.5.8 to 3.2.1 version

I've just bought Kindle DXi and would like to upgrade it to a 3.2.1 version.
I live outside the US and therefore it is hard for me to get a Kindle 3.
Could anyone help me and provide an update_kindle_3.2.1.bin file?
I believe there is no such kind of file for 3.4.2 version?

Thank you in advance.
maraby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
*insert Wilhelm scream here*

(I hate this 3.x on DX stuff with a fiery passion, as it makes a whole lot of things much more annoying to deal with).

Whatever your reasons for wanting to do that in the first place were, I'd urge you to consider alternative solutions.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I suggest returning the DXi nd buying something a lot more modern. You can get 7", 7.8", 8", 9.7" 10.3" and 13" screens if you want something larger then 6".
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
maraby

Thank you guys for your suggestions.
I completely agree with you.
However, currently, this is the only option I have.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:11 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by maraby View Post
Thank you guys for your suggestions.
I completely agree with you.
However, currently, this is the only option I have.
Creating a Frankenstein DX is no longer recommended (due to age of firmware/hardware).
If doing so is your only option, you should really reconsider.

Evidently, from your first post, you have found the original thread.
But you haven't found the thread for the 3.4 update.
You need to search for that one also.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2019, 05:50 AM   #6
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura-One (using KOReader app), Boox Note-3, iPad(s)
I've been using both Kindle DXG and DX (lower 7:1 contrast compared to 10:1 on DXG) for reading pdf/djvu/cbz books outdoors all these years.

But only because there was KPV reader (non-touch version of Koreader) with all the necessary pdf reading options available therein (many zooming/cropping options, font darkening, bookmarks, links, folders/subfolders etc.).

So, installing KPV is the first thing every owner of Kindle DX should do.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&highlight=kpv

We can even normally read those demanding pdfs from archive.org site that are very slow to flip through on many lcd tablets/notebooks because of their compression method implemented, but we need to change pdf compression beforehand, either by simply creating a new pdf as exported uncompressed images (10 x bigger in MB size but a lot quicker to flip through), or by using Adobe Acrobat's Clearscan OCR mode for both a lot smaller pdf size and a lot quicker page flipping, or by using K2pdfopt app for DX's b/w screen resolution & size.

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-03-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Marinolino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #7
maraby

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Creating a Frankenstein DX is no longer recommended (due to age of firmware/hardware).
If doing so is your only option, you should really reconsider.

Evidently, from your first post, you have found the original thread.
But you haven't found the thread for the 3.4 update.
You need to search for that one also.
Thanks for your concern.
However, I have found the thread about the 3.4.2 version.
Unfortunately, that update based on the 3.2.1 version.
I have not found any reference to the possibility to upgrade by one file like it is with the 3.2.1 version.
That is why I've mentioned about such kind of file for the 3.4.2 version in my first post.

I hope somebody could be able to find the file in their archives, emails, file system...
Old 10-03-2019, 06:11 AM   #8
maraby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
I've been using both Kindle DXG and DX (lower 7:1 contrast compared to 10:1 on DXG) for reading pdf/djvu/cbz books outdoors all these years.

But only because there was KPV reader (non-touch version of Koreader) with all the necessary pdf reading options available therein (many zooming/cropping options, font darkening, folders/subfolders etc.).

So, installing KPV is the first thing every owner of Kindle DX should do.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&highlight=kpv
Thank you.
I will read the thread you've mentioned.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:26 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@maraby, I suggest you return the DXi and save the money towards getting a more modern Reader.

If you want to read PDF, you could get an 8" Kobo Forma and install KOReader or you could get a 10.3" Pocketbook. Both willl do for reading comics/manga/PDF though the Pocketbook will do better because of the larger screen.

You should have asked about installing a newer firmware before buying the DXi. You then would not have spent the money. I do hope you can return it and get your money back.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #10
Marinolino
Groupie
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraby View Post
Thank you.
I will read the thread you've mentioned.
A few more related links that could be useful for collecting all the necessary installation files and infos:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=190641

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88004

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin...#Jail_break_JB

kindlepdfviewer-package
https://code.google.com/archive/p/ki...wnloads?page=1

ShortCuts for Reader
https://github.com/koreader/kindlepd...tCutsForReader

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-03-2019 at 09:45 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 07:56 AM   #11
Marinolino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
@maraby, I suggest you return the DXi and save the money towards getting a more modern Reader.

If you want to read PDF, you could get an 8" Kobo Forma and install KOReader or you could get a 10.3" Pocketbook. Both willl do for reading comics/manga/PDF though the Pocketbook will do better because of the larger screen.

You should have asked about installing a newer firmware before buying the DXi. You then would not have spent the money. I do hope you can return it and get your money back.
I've found Kindle DXG this summer for 85 $ only (good condition and battery, magnetic leather cover) and after installing KPV thereon, gifted it to my friend who has gladly been using it outdoors for his pdfs and b/w comics, instead of his smaller eink readers and 10" lcd tablets that he prefers for the indoor pdf reading.

In my case (for outdoors sunny conditions) Kindle DXG is still better choice than Kobo Aura One for A4 pdf documents with a column text width over 16 cm (in landscape mode) and for some b/w comics in portraite or landscape mode.

If I had an expensive and fragile 600 $ 10" eink, I'd still rather take my cheaper and more robust DXG with me for e.g. everyday reading on the beach.

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-03-2019 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 11:42 AM   #12
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The DX line is basically the *slowest* thing money can buy. By an *extremely* long shot.

eReaders still have crappy specs today, so imagine what it was like 9 years ago on a device with significantly more pixels than usual to push...

TL;DR: I, personally, wouldn't get one unless it was basically free. $85 certainly feels way too much already.

----

That said, if you're stuck with it, yeah, definitely prefer KOReader and its older brothers KPV/Libre before doing anything much more intrusive.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-03-2019 at 11:44 AM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:29 PM   #13
Marinolino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
The DX line is basically the *slowest* thing money can buy. By an *extremely* long shot.

eReaders still have crappy specs today, so imagine what it was like 9 years ago on a device with significantly more pixels than usual to push...

TL;DR: I, personally, wouldn't get one unless it was basically free. $85 certainly feels way too much already.

It takes about 13 seconds for 10 consecutive pdf pages (with full refresh after four pages) using KPV reader on paperback/hardcover pdf scan, ocr-ed in Adobe's Clearscan mode, i.e. about 1.3 seconds per page, so, if we pressed the next page button at the middle of the last line it would be an almost instantaneous transition.

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-03-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Remember, for a 9.7" screen, the DX has a petty pathetic resolution.
Old 10-03-2019, 12:40 PM   #15
NiLuJe
BLAM!

That makes it *at the very least* 10 times slower than a Forma, which has considerably more pixels to push .

@JSWolf: Yep, that, too. (150dpi, compared to the 167dpi of its smaller siblings of the time. And the current norm of 300dpi).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-03-2019 at 12:43 PM.