Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 10-09-2019, 06:58 PM   #1
poczynek
Connoisseur
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Forma
How to automatically download metadata when adding books

Ok so when i add books it does not automatically download the metadata.

Sure enough if i then go to that book and select 'download metadata and covers' in 'Edit Metadata' it finds the metadata and all good.

I have looked in the Preferences in the setting for 'Adding books' but cannot see which would be best to automatically 'download metadata and covers' when adding the book? What am i missing?
poczynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:17 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Ok so when i add books it does not automatically download the metadata.

Sure enough if i then go to that book and select 'download metadata and covers' in 'Edit Metadata' it finds the metadata and all good.

I have looked in the Preferences in the setting for 'Adding books' but cannot see which would be best to automatically 'download metadata and covers' when adding the book? What am i missing?
Nothing - there is no such option.

When a book is added it gets its metadata from within the book format file, or the file name, or via the calibredb -add command line.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:21 PM   #3
poczynek
Connoisseur
poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.poczynek is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Nothing - there is no such option.

When a book is added it gets its metadata from within the book format file, or the file name, or via the calibredb -add command line.

BR
Ah ok thank you. So there is no patch or plugin that would automate that process of having to download after it has been added? All good if there's not - it's only an extra click - but just thought it might be something that exists.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:28 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
You may not NEED more metadata. A lot of Indie books used Calibre, and have some of the extras the the basic DC metadata does not include.
Auto... would beat up FREE (metadata source) servers unnecessarily.

You can do a 'batch' from the main GUI.
Select books: Ctrl-D: <choose what>: when it is done you get to choos how to apply. FWIW I prefer to review each and cherry-pick fields
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:34 PM   #5
poczynek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You may not NEED more metadata. A lot of Indie books used Calibre, and have some of the extras the the basic DC metadata does not include.
Auto... would beat up FREE (metadata source) servers unnecessarily.

You can do a 'batch' from the main GUI.
Select books: Ctrl-D: <choose what>: when it is done you get to choos how to apply. FWIW I prefer to review each and cherry-pick fields
Yes sorry just for context. The reason i need more metadata is that the CountPages plugin uses it to work out page numbers. And the default metadata that comes across doesn't give information that gives me meaningful page number totals. So i then have to get that extra metadata for it to work better.
Old 10-09-2019, 07:36 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT, Galaxy Tab A, Kobo Aura2
Quote:
Originally Posted by poczynek View Post
Yes sorry just for context. The reason i need more metadata is that the CountPages plugin uses it to work out page numbers. And the default metadata that comes across doesn't give information that gives me meaningful page number totals. So i then have to get that extra metadata for it to work better.
You need specific ID's.. I just use the estimate (APNX) mode
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
poczynek
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You need specific ID's.. I just use the estimate (APNX) mode
Yes i have tried that but what i'm after is the closest to the actual page numbers in the physical book. Sorta then makes sense to me as to how long the book is having spent 20+ years reading normal books until i got an e-reader 3 years ago and haven't looked back!