Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2019, 05:10 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
Thing is, you can install KOReader on a Kobo and have a better PDF experience on better hardware.

The problem with the DX was the price was too high and the software/hardware too limited. It's like buying a 1st generation iPad. That was also a big fail because Apple made it really limited.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 07:14 PM   #32
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinolino View Post
I can easily zoom-in on two-column A4 pdf, reading four screens per pdf page on Aura One in portraite, or easily read A4 pdfs with only 16 cm text width (wider empty margins) two screens per page in landscape, but one-column A4/letter size pdf documents with the 17-19 cm text width (narrow empty margins) can only be reflowed because 8" readers are only 16 cm wide in landscape, and I would not try panning on every single text line even on my iPad pro.
If the built-in PDF viewer annoys you that much then you could use KOreader instead.

Quote:
I've bought Aura One mainly for reading scanned paperbacks/hardcovers that make majority of my current pdf books and although those are easily legible in Aura One's portraite (12 cm width) they are also as legible on Kindle DX portraite (14 cm wide).
So, here's a side-by-side test. I'm using a page from Tsutomu Nihei's "BLAME!" manga. This particular page shows off a lot of different kinds of detail: lettering, line art and zip-a-tone shading. The examples are this file processed with ImageMagick to match the native PDF viewer resolutions of each device and then photographed with my less-than-magnificent Pixel 3a.

convert -verbose -strip -format jpg -quality 85% -fuzz 1% -trim +repage -gaussian-blur 0.05 -filter Lanczos -resize 1150x776 blame_vol1_008-original.jpg blame_vol1_008-DX.jpg
convert blame_vol1_008-DX.jpg blame_vol1_008-DX.pdf

convert -verbose -strip -format jpg -quality 85% -fuzz 1% -trim +repage -gaussian-blur 0.05 -filter Lanczos -resize 1440x1920 blame_vol1_008-original.jpg blame_vol1_008-Forma.jpg
convert blame_vol1_008-Forma.jpg blame_vol1_008-Forma.pdf

The first photograph is the DX pdf on both Kindle DX and Kobo Forma.
IMG_20191003_190141.jpg
The second photograph is the DX pdf on Kindle DX and the Forma PDF on Kobo Forma.
IMG_20191003_190157.jpg

Aura One is 1404x1872 if you want to perform a similar comparison with that device.
ratinox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:10 AM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
And if you look at the two photos, the DX looks rather washed out.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:47 PM   #34
Marinolino
Zealot
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo A1, iPad(s), Kindle DX, Hanvon E930
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
DXG (black case) has got 42% better contrast ratio than DX (white case), though, 10:1 instead 7:1.

I don't mind reading my scanned A5 paperback books and A4 documents on DXG outdoors during the day instead of Kobo Aura One, even for those A5 and A4 sized pdfs that I can easily read on Aura One.

Inside the room I'd read A4 document on iPad pro or Aura One and then the next moment outside the room (garden, balcony) on DXG or Aura One, although I can easily read it on Ipad too, by creating some shade (blanket over the ropes).

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-09-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Marinolino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #35
ratinox
Addict
ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ratinox ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yup. That's the first generation Vizplex's 7:1 contrast ratio next to Carta's 15:1 ratio. I can't get my DXG started (I think the battery is shot). It's better than the DX but still visibly inferior to my Forma and Aura One.

Quote:
DXG (black case) has got 42% better contrast ratio than DX (white case), though, 10:1 instead 7:1.
And Forma is 50% better than DXG's Pearl display.

If contrast is a thing then Forma wins. If PPI is a thing then Forma wins. If resolution is a thing then Forma wins. If size is a thing then DXG barely wins -- barely because the top and bottom margins on the Kindle are hard-coded and you lose from 50 to 100 pixels depending on the file format. That's ~1cm which brings the effective screen size to about 1cm wider and 1.5cm taller than Forma. The only clear winner is price and that's only if you think your time is better spent making the Kindle work.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:48 PM   #36
Marinolino
Zealot
Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marinolino ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo A1, iPad(s), Kindle DX, Hanvon E930
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratinox View Post

And Forma is 50% better than DXG's Pearl display.

If contrast is a thing then Forma wins. If PPI is a thing then Forma wins. If resolution is a thing then Forma wins. If size is a thing then DXG barely wins -- barely because the top and bottom margins on the Kindle are hard-coded and you lose from 50 to 100 pixels depending on the file format. That's ~1cm which brings the effective screen size to about 1cm wider and 1.5cm taller than Forma. The only clear winner is price and that's only if you think your time is better spent making the Kindle work.
I just use KPV reader (Koreader) on DXG for Pdf/Djvu/Cbz files and it uses the whole screen, its every pixel.

I'd use it instead of Aura One (for pdfs that I can read on Aura too) or my original paper books/documents because I can get 10-20 % magnification that way, despite its lower 150 dpi, e.g. A4 or letter size pdf document with its usual 17 or 18 cm text width + blank margins, I can read on 20 cm wide DXG' screen without margins in landscape mode.

Last edited by Marinolino; 10-09-2019 at 07:13 PM.
Marinolino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 07:18 PM   #37
ratinox
Addict

Quote:
I just use KPV reader (Koreader) on DXG for Pdf/Djvu/Cbz files and it uses the whole screen, its every pixel.
So you get a whole 1cm more vertical size. Not worth my time jailbreaking, yada-yada.

Quote:
I'd use it instead of Aura One (for pdfs that I can read on Aura too) or my original paper books/documents because I can get 10-20 % magnification that way
I already knocked down this straw man and provided one way to optimize files for the display so there's no need to repeat myself.