Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > BeBook

Notices

Old 08-24-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
zalmoxis
zalmoxis began at the beginning.

Device: bebook
The SD Card Again

I bought a Bebook One January 2009. The SD card reader didin't work, displaying only the "Recent Files" option but not the files on the card. About June/July (a year ago) I sent Bebook back to Endless Ideas for repair. It came back ok, reading my 500 Mb SD card. It worked fine untill yesterday.
I bought a 2 Gb SD card (SD, not SDHC). I inserted the new SD in the Bebook, and I got the same old error - only the "recent files" option was visible, but not the dozens of files, from PDF to DOC to ePub, etc. that were actually on the card.
Then I inserted the old card, that worked after the device came back from Endless Ideas and.... I doesn't read. Its exactly like it was before I sent it to be fixed. Not even the previous functioning card is working. It was OK until the minute I tried to use the new SD.

In the meanwhile, I tried everything, from formatting it with windows formatting tool, tried the panasonic utility... didn't tick the "quick format" option, etc. - in vain... it just doesn't work. If I connect the bebook to my laptop with the sd card inserted, the bebook keeps restarting.

Anyone has any ideas, besides buying a new machine?
zalmoxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 AM   #2
rbeset
rbeset began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Mini, BeBook One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zalmoxis View Post
In the meanwhile, I tried everything, from formatting it with windows formatting tool, tried the panasonic utility... didn't tick the "quick format" option, etc. - in vain... it just doesn't work. If I connect the bebook to my laptop with the sd card inserted, the bebook keeps restarting.

Anyone has any ideas, besides buying a new machine?
Maybe a quick check to see if the SD slot is broken or just a firmware bug ?
You could use a 1GB SD card and load it with the latest Bebook one firmware and try if it will read the firmware and wants to go update. (make sure you get the right firmware bebook one 2009 or 2010 edition, whatever bebook you have)
If it reads the firmware, the slot isn't broken, then an update might be usefull.
(could be tricky, you never know if it will finish on a not so stable SD slot ....)
If it doesn't read the SD card, you know it is hardware failure. Then you could check if all the pins/contacts inside the SD slot are oke (e.g. not bend or something like it)
rbeset is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
bebook, sd card