Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 12:53 PM   #16
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
Charles, if you think you can do it without stepping on too many toes, can you (or anyone else) tell me a bit more about this?
I am too ignorant to go beyond what Kovid said in post 12.

I can confirm that last I seriously tried, device support seemed to be hit and miss. I have tried debian, ubuntu, and fedora, and in each of them have had cases where a device was recognized but didn't mount, sometimes mounted, or always mounted. Sometimes the device mounted with the user-space mount (which can create permission problems), and sometimes via a kernel-level daemon. In one case with what was then a new-model olympus digital camera, using ubuntu 9 I had to hack some USB recognition tables before anything good would happen.

Fairness pushes me to note that I last tried hard in early 2009. I spent over a month trying to get a Ubuntu installation to work reliably on my hardware with my collection devices, and failed. For example, I never got front panel audio to work, and back panel audio worked only after I hacked the kernel loadable module. Things have almost certainly improved since then.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote