Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex > iRex Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-02-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Device: iliad
Cool Improved contenLister (with installer)

Hello Developers,

I've assembled an installer for the improved contentLister (with more items on a page).

• I've tried to make this robust and safe
  • The menu enables to install, un-install an set the number of items on a page
  • the program itself is the same as last time (with a repaired cursor, thanks ericshliao)
  • I've started a new thread for this because the install procedure and attachments are new. For some background: see the old thread (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34889)
  • Install: just unpack the bin-tgz on on a memory card, navigate to it and run the installer.
  • Sources: for those who want to compile themselves: use the src-tgz: after unpacking this can be compiled in the same way as the original Irex contentLister (build_from_scratch.sh...)

Happy new year!
Hansel.

EDIT 6-jan-2009: version 1.0.3. Install scripts no longer get in 'Recent Documents'. In the previous version this caused some Iliads to reboot endlessly. Sources have not changed.

EDIT 8-jan-2009: version 1.0.4. Install scripts now accept all firmware versions with 2.12 in it (book edition has 2.12.1)

EDIT 21-feb-2009: If you have a modified start-up script, you may have to set-up things manually. See Haven's post further in this thread (post 53)

EDIT 23-mar-2009: newLister 1.0.5: Minor update to ease the 'Iliad OS'. No need to upgrade.
  • NewLister tries to read the nr of items on a page from /mnt/settings/newLister. It expects one line with just a number. This value can be overruled on the command line.
  • Tweaked layout a little: a bit less spacing, a bit more room for the text.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NL_1.gif
Views:	1371
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	20345   Click image for larger version

Name:	NL_2.gif
Views:	4406
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	20346  
Attached Files
File Type: gz newLister-src-1.0.1.tar.gz (689.4 KB, 860 views)
File Type: gz newLister-bin-1.0.4.tar.gz (109.3 KB, 1082 views)
File Type: gz newLister-bin-1.0.5.tar.gz (109.5 KB, 1124 views)
File Type: gz newLister-src-1.0.5.tar.gz (689.6 KB, 995 views)

Last edited by hansel; 03-23-2009 at 03:34 PM.
hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #2
Napoleon
Master of the Universe
Napoleon is on a distinguished road

Device: Irex Iliad 2/e
Works like a charm. Thanks again Hansel.

Petite question:
Is there a way to change the font size?
Napoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 03:05 AM   #3
hansel
JSR FFD2
hansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheesehansel can extract oil from cheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleon View Post
Petite question:
Is there a way to change the font size?
Thanks for testing!
Reponse: Oui, on peut! (Yes, we can!)
The font magic all happens in newLister.rc (or contentLister.rc for the original contenLister). It has entries like:
Code:
style "listItemTitle"
{
        font_name = "Bitstream Vera Sans bold 10"
}
These files live in /usr/share/contentlister on the Iliad. You can also change the newLister.rc in the unpacked installer (.../newLister-1.0.1/_files/newLister.rc)
PS: this is my 100th post; which automatically made me a zealot ... I must say that I preferred my previous title (connoisseur)

Last edited by hansel; 01-03-2009 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:53 AM   #4
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
PS: this is my 100th post; which automatically made me a zealot ... I must say that I preferred my previous title (connoisseur)
OT: You can change this in your profile ("Edit your details").

Not OT: Will try the contentLister soon
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 06:42 AM   #5
-Thomas-
Addict
-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.-Thomas- once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iRex iLiad v2
I've just installed your newLister, and it works like a charm!
-Thomas- is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2009, 10:24 AM   #6
ne14st
ne14st began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Installed to mmc card, did not choose number of items and tapped reboot this resulted in a continuous reboot.
Took out both mmc and cf cards and rebooted no problem.
Replaced both cards rebooted no problem chose 12 and rebooted again works
superbly a great addition for me.
Thanks
ne14st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 12:52 PM   #7
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ne14st View Post
Installed to mmc card, did not choose number of items and tapped reboot this resulted in a continuous reboot.Thanks
hello ne14st,

No idea why it kept rebooting the first time?!?! Also, it should have made no difference when you removed the cards: the program is installed to internal memory, and the stuff on the card is only needed to install or change settings. Did you have any modifications in your start script or was it the original one? Could you have a look at the _install.log file (on the mmc, in the installation directory) to see if anything special happened?
Thanks for reporting!
PS: installing without specifying a number of items should display 12 items on a page (the default)
Old 01-03-2009, 07:41 PM   #8
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansel View Post
Wow! thanks for your quick answer and congratulations on becoming a Zealot!

PS
What's a zealot anyway?
wiki's disambiguation page is really ambiguous about it!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zealot_(disambiguation)
Old 01-03-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Just thought you should know that I'm using hansel's improved contentlister with 12 items per page, and changing the "book" title font to Bitstream Vera Sans 9 (instead of contentlister's default Bitstream Vera Sans bold 10) works great. Title is still visible (and can be larger in word length) and Description benefits from more vertical space inside the cell. I would recommend you this setting in case you're interested.

A+
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 PM   #10
Dunno
Dunno began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad 2nd Ed.
Thanks a lot!!!!

I have chosen the option of displaying 20 items, and reduce the font size to 7 (non bold) It works great but... the information about each file has disappeared (file weight in KB).

Thank you for this wonderful improvement to the iliad.
Dunno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 03:04 AM   #11
ne14st
ne14st began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
Hello Hansel

Start script was default and had never been altered. I described exactly what happened I have had no problems since and I am super satisfied.
Have changed listing numbers to try all but have settled on 12.
It would appear to be a weird happening but I thought it best to share just in case it occurs to someone else
Thanks again log below

Quote:
Starting installation
ERROR: Starting installation
Copy files...
Edit start script...
SUCCES: newLister has been installed.
Starting installation
Edit start script...
SUCCES: Set to 12 items on a page.
Starting installation
Edit start script...
Starting installation
Edit start script...
SUCCES: Set to 20 items on a page.
Starting installation
Edit start script...
SUCCES: Set to 20 items on a page.
Starting installation
Edit start script...
Starting installation
Edit start script...
ne14st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #12
hansel
JSR FFD2

@Thomas, @Napoleon: I disliked the term zealot because I associated it with a extremistic kind of fanaticism... In Wikipedia I found the following. I like it and will proudly wear the title Zealot until it updates itself.
Quote:
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Zealot (Judaism))
Kanai (Hebrew: קנאי‎, plural: kana'im, קנאים) is a term for a zealot. It means one who is zealous on behalf of God. The first kanai mentioned in the scriptures (Tanach) is Pinchas. Pinchas was rewarded by God for his zealotry because he didn't act out of hate or for any personal gain. He meant solely for the sake of God.
@ne14st: The logfile is as I expected. Maybe your Iliad was hit by a cosmic particle ;-). I'm glad it works without problems.
@Dunno: The amount of displayed information (and the layout) depends on the nr of items. This is by design:
  • (4-8) same info as original contentLister
  • (9-12)title + subtitle or description ,
  • (13-20)only title
@all: thanks for testing! I'll announce it as 'usable by normal users'
Old 01-06-2009, 07:07 AM   #13
henryhu
henryhu has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Iliad 2nd
If you use the last command 'Reboot' of this tool from ContentLister, then catch you and your Iliad will be rebooting endlessly.

Why?
The answer is:
You last document/command opened is zz_reboot/run.sh, when the Iliad restarted and the newLister will try to open/run the last command zz_reboot/run.sh.

This script will reboot iliad again, so reboot endlessly. The only way to resolve this endless rebooting is to unplug your SD card.

If you installed the new ContentLister in Iliad internal memory and you do not install unbrickable tool, unfortunately used the reboot function in the newLister, then your iliad is dead.

Suggestion:
Please delete the REBOOT function from this tool.

Last edited by henryhu; 01-06-2009 at 07:13 AM.
henryhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:46 AM   #14
Napoleon
Master of the Universe

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryhu View Post
If you use the last command 'Reboot' of this tool from ContentLister, then catch you and your Iliad will be rebooting endlessly.

Why?
The answer is:
You last document/command opened is zz_reboot/run.sh, when the Iliad restarted and the newLister will try to open/run the last command zz_reboot/run.sh.

This script will reboot iliad again, so reboot endlessly. The only way to resolve this endless rebooting is to unplug your SD card.

If you installed the new ContentLister in Iliad internal memory and you do not install unbrickable tool, unfortunately used the reboot function in the newLister, then your iliad is dead.

Suggestion:
Please delete the REBOOT function from this tool.
Is this for real? Can anybody confirm/refute this?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #15
hansel
JSR FFD2

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryhu View Post

Why?
The answer is:

This looks the same as the problem ne14st mentioned...
I still do not understand: why would contenlister execute the last command? Mine doesn't?!?! Any what is happening?

I've put a warning in the first mail in this thread, and I'll update the menu soon.

henryhu: thanks!
Hans.

Last edited by hansel; 01-06-2009 at 09:54 AM.

Tags
contenlister, development, iliad, newlister