Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 10:35 AM   #1
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
To Our Italian Members

We have quite a few MR members from Italy. I just want to say how sorry I am for the deaths and injuries from the earthquake, and I especially hope none of you or your loved ones were involved.

Your country will be in my thoughts and prayers while you clean up and recover from the terrible quake.

Last edited by DixieGal; 04-08-2009 at 11:15 AM.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 11:01 AM   #2
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
My daughter, in Rome 60 miles away, reported being awakened at 3:30 am from the tremors and being terrified. She is, of course, safe but much of Italy is in chaos and grief. I echo DG's thoughts for those impacted.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #3
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
We have quite a few MR members from Italy. I just want to say how sorry I am for the deaths and injuries from the earthquake, and I especially hope none of you or your loved ones were involved.

Your country will be in my thoughts and prayers while you clean up and recover from the terrible quake.
Thank you.
As an Italian I really appreciate it.
My uncle's vacation house has been damaged, but luckily he wasn't there at the time.
I'm many miles away from L'Aquila, enough to be safe.

But now we really have to ask ourselves why a relatively weak quake made so much damage.
I fear the answer.
Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I was quite shocked to hear that the Italian Prime Minister, Mr. Berlusconi, told people who have been made homeless by the earthquake to regard having to live in a tent as being like "a weekend of camping"; it seems a somewhat thoughtless thing to say to people who have gone through such a terrible experience.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I would like to add my sympathies as well. Has anyone heard from Tad?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2009, 10:31 AM   #6
Format C:
Guru
Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Format C: ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iLiad + PRS-505 + Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I was quite shocked to hear that the Italian Prime Minister, Mr. Berlusconi, told people who have been made homeless by the earthquake to regard having to live in a tent as being like "a weekend of camping"; it seems a somewhat thoughtless thing to say to people who have gone through such a terrible experience.
And it's not even one of his worst...

I need another "I didn't vote for him" T-shirt, just in case I'll spend my holidays abroad...

Format C: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:54 AM   #7
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
The reports I heard were heartbreaking, with the aftershocks adding to the terror. I hope that the worst is over and recovery can start.

I'm full of admiration for the rescue workers and volunteers who are putting themselves at risk to help others. They're an inspiration.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Got an eMail from an Italian who works for a company we do business with. He said he was awakened at 3:30 that morning with his bed rolling around like it was on the high seas. Fortunately, neither he nor his family were injured. Hopefully this is the case for all our MobileRead members.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 11:28 AM   #9
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
But now we really have to ask ourselves why a relatively weak quake made so much damage.
I fear the answer.

I can probably guess much of the answer: Unreinforced stone buildings in a geologically unstable region? Beautiful, but they turn to rubble pretty easily when the foundations shift.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:31 AM   #10
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I think you're right, DG, for much of it. But many of the buildings that collapsed were built after construction codes were in place to limit earthquake damage. I think some of the questioning there now is whether those codes were properly adhered to.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I think you're right, DG, for much of it. But many of the buildings that collapsed were built after construction codes were in place to limit earthquake damage. I think some of the questioning there now is whether those codes were properly adhered to.

OMG, that sort of corruption is near to murder in this case!
Old 04-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #12
LazyScot
DSil
LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LazyScot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Cybook
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I can probably guess much of the answer: Unreinforced stone buildings in a geologically unstable region? Beautiful, but they turn to rubble pretty easily when the foundations shift.
I seem to remember hearing that a lot of the buildings that did the damage are more modern concrete builings, from the 60s and 70s (and possibly 80s). Some of that was due to poor building regulations. The older stone buildings have often survived -- the very old ones often had to survive many earthquakes to be still standing. I suspect the nature allows most of them to flex and re-settle.

Sympathies to those involved. It's a beautiful part of the world and I hope that the villages and towns manage to survive and not become abandoned.
LazyScot is offline   Reply With Quote