Notices

Old 04-24-2009, 04:04 PM   #181
srmalloy
Enthusiast
srmalloy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidnicious View Post
You're all awesome (especially clarknova, in this case) for getting started on the K2 hackin'.

If anyone's feeling a little meta, I whipped this up for ya.
Fixed the image for you.

srmalloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2009, 04:49 PM   #182
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Now that's cool.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2009, 10:24 AM   #183
mercury7
mercury7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
Fixed the image for you.
I was just about to do the same thing. Glad I clicked over to the next page
mercury7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 12:21 AM   #184
kittykindle
kittykindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I actually have ben trying to get this to work on my K2 for the last 2 hours and it wont work, dont know what im doing wrong
kittykindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:38 AM   #185
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why don't you tell us what you'd done so far.
Advert
Old 05-03-2009, 10:19 PM   #186
Sidnicious
Sidnicious began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmalloy View Post
Fixed the image for you.
Freaking beautiful. Can't believe I didn't think of that.

Last edited by Sidnicious; 05-03-2009 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Removed image from quote
Sidnicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 06:36 PM   #187
floridabrits
floridabrits began at the beginning.

How do you view the 'root' and 'system' folders?

Hi there folks...

I have been reading this thread avidly as I just got my Kindle 2 and am looking to customize the screensaver/backgrounds...

Anyway, when I plug in my Kindle 2 to my Windows Vista laptop, all I see is an F: drive with 3 folders for books etc.

I don't see the root or system folders and it seems like the hack that has been posted, needs you to copy files to the root...

Any ideas how I get to those root and system folders via my laptop's Windows Explorer?

Thanks in advance for any help/instructions!

Regards,

Floridabrits
floridabrits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 08:06 PM   #188
pilotdrh2003
Pilot & Reader
pilotdrh2003 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2/3
The root directory is just the kindle itself, usually the K drive. The system folder has attributes which prevent it from being viewed with Windows default settings. The easiest way to change it is to click on start and then help. Search for hidden folder and follow the directions to enable viewing hidden and system folders.
pilotdrh2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:50 AM   #189
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Or you can just type "\system" in Explorer's address bar. E.g. "K:\system" (without quotes).
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 02:13 PM   #190
floridabrits

Thanks for the responses!

Thanks folks... really appreciate the responses... easy when you know how!

Everything works as expected! :-)

Cheers!

Geoff
Old 05-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #191
floridabrits

Impact to eink of using regular 800x600 photographs as screensavers?

Folks,

I am now using photographs instead of the regular screensavers on my Kindle 2, but saw an earlier post talking about having to preserve the eink...

What is the impact of using regular 800x600 photographs as your screensaver?

Does anyone know if this limits the eink life?? if so, any ideas by how much?

Thanks!

Geoff
Old 05-12-2009, 02:39 PM   #192
floridabrits

Should the screensaver change photos?

When I turn the Kindle 2 off, one of my photos will appear, but the screensaver doesn't "appear" to be working as it did before if I just leave the Kindle 2 and let it switch on the screensaver itself... the screen just stays blank...

Has this happened to anyone before, or did I just goof something up?

Thanks (again!)...

Geoff
Old 05-12-2009, 03:08 PM   #193
sirbruce
Provocateur

I don't think regular photographs will be any more damaging to the screen. Don't worry about it.

Not sure what your problem is with the screensaver.

1. If you turned the Kindle OFF, you'd get a blank screen. If you're just sliding the switch briefly and releasing, then you're putting it in sleep mode, and that's when it would show your photo.

2. If the screen is going blank when you let it switch on the screensaver itself, I suspect one of your photos is not in a format the Kindle recognizes. Or, it could be a problem with it's indexing of those photos. Restart your Kindle from the settings screen and see if that solves the problem.

3. No, the screensaver does not "change photos" automatically, if that's what you were expecting. Every time it goes to sleep, it choses a new photo and sticks with it. No, that's not going to damage your screen.
Old 05-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #194
floridabrits

Thanks sirbruce

OK, that explains it... I have powered off and all works well/as you described now...

I was 'expecting' the screen saver to scroll through the photos when it kicked in... now I know it will not do that, I guess I am good to go!

Thanks again for your help (on both questions!)...

Regards,

Geoff
Old 05-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #195
numindast
Enthusiast
numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.numindast has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: K2, DX (had PRS500, 505, 700)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotdrh2003 View Post
The root directory is just the kindle itself, usually the K drive.
Usually the K: drive on your computer perhaps. It will be different on other people's computers, depending on how many other drive letters are assigned for their various devices and whatnot. Windows adds drive letters alphabetically as it needs, unless you know how to tell it to use specific letters for specific devices.

Just wanted to make that clear in case someone "out there" decides their Kindle is defective, broken, and useless because it doesn't use the "K" drive usually
numindast is offline   Reply With Quote