Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-31-2017, 01:20 AM   #871
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
A number of my books (especially gutenberg books) have title pages that point to images instead of html files.
This does not format properly on my kobo (it formats the first chapter as the title page).

Is there a way to search for books with this problem so I can run them through polish to add a real title page?
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:21 AM   #872
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
A number of my books (especially gutenberg books) have title pages that point to images instead of html files.
This does not format properly on my kobo (it formats the first chapter as the title page).
If this is the problem you were having before, that's not the correct description. The problem is that the first HTML/XHTML file in the spine does not point to the cover image, or contains more that just the cover. And for the kepub conversion, you need the image to be marked as the cover.

I think what you need is any book that has a cover image, but it is not used anywhere.
Quote:
Is there a way to search for books with this problem so I can run them through polish to add a real title page?
I don't know if any of the options in the plugin are suitable.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #873
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The problem is that the first HTML/XHTML file in the spine does not point to the cover image,
While that's true, it's harder to check. The first thing in the spine is probably a jpg that is marked as the cover, so the first html/xhtml in the spine is chapter 1. Or something like that, not that I claim to understand spine construction.

Quote:
I think what you need is any book that has a cover image, but it is not used anywhere.
Searching for orphaned images works but gets a lot of false positives where the book just has extra images in it, but the title page is OK. Also, I'm not sure that polishing the book fixes the orphaned image problem, so they still show up in the search after being fixed.

I'm sure that the problem books the title page is an image instead of an html file, I looked at the book in the calibre editor, it even marks it as an error but won't fix it automatically.

Quote:
I don't know if any of the options in the plugin are suitable.
I don't think there is a suitable option...this is a feature request.

Last edited by compurandom; 10-31-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: reread wgat you said
Old 10-31-2017, 09:03 PM   #874
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by compurandom View Post
While that's true, it's harder to check. The first thing in the spine is probably a jpg that is marked as the cover, so the first html/xhtml in the spine is chapter 1. Or something like that, not that I claim to understand spine construction.
Are you are talking about the problem discussed in this thread? If so, the first entry in the spine is a HTML/XHTML file and the contents of that file go over more than one page. That's the real problem. That first file is treated differently by the kepub renderer and you really just want to limit it to one page. And, if you have a cover image, then just displaying that in the page makes sense.

Also, I don't think you can have an image file in the spine, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Quote:

Searching for orphaned images works but gets a lot of false positives where the book just has extra images in it, but the title page is OK. Also, I'm not sure that polishing the book fixes the orphaned image problem, so they still show up in the search after being fixed.
Orphaned images are perfectly valid in an epub. And, it is legitimate to mark an image as the cover image and use something else on the first page of the book. It is more just a custom that the first HTML/XHTML file and hence the first page contains the cover image. But, what everyone forgets is that a kepub is not an epub. Kobo sets the specs for kepubs, and while they are largely the epub specs, there are differences. One of them is that Cover images must be contained in their own XHTML files. And that means you get the problems described in the thread above.
Quote:
I'm sure that the problem books the title page is an image instead of an html file, I looked at the book in the calibre editor, it even marks it as an error but won't fix it automatically.
I don't think I have seen that error, but I am careful about the covers in my books. I'd probably need to see the book that has the problem to work it out.
Quote:
I don't think there is a suitable option...this is a feature request.
That's not how the post read. And unfortunately, it's not likely to be done as no-one is making changes to the plugin.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 09:34 PM   #875
compurandom
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Orphaned images are perfectly valid in an epub. And, it is legitimate to mark an image as the cover image and use something else on the first page of the book. It is more just a custom that the first HTML/XHTML file and hence the first page contains the cover image. But, what everyone forgets is that a kepub is not an epub. Kobo sets the specs for kepubs, and while they are largely the epub specs, there are differences. One of them is that Cover images must be contained in their own XHTML files.
Ahh, perhaps then my request is in the wrong thread.
If this is in the kepub spec, then this is a bug in the kepub converter, and it should be wrapping the image cover in an xhtml and adding it to the spine as it converts it. Or adding a cover if necessary.

Then I wouldn't need quality check to find epubs that need fixing -- they should be fixed on the fly as they are converted and sent.

If you need an example, there's no shortages. I think I've found one gutenberg epub out of 100 that has a html cover. Until you pointed out the problem in the other thread, I thought it was a bug in the stylesheets or css of the epubs, despite me deleting all of them to try to fix it.
Advert
Old 01-13-2018, 12:30 PM   #876
bluepiggy42
bluepiggy42 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Searching ePub - Multiple Words

Hi there, I need to search for a couple words in the book. I have look for the commands, but I am just not getting the right combination for the search. If I wanted to search for lifeguard and pool, what would I put in the search field?

thank you
bluepiggy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:02 AM   #877
Nicolas F
Groupie
Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Nicolas F once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluepiggy42 View Post
Hi there, I need to search for a couple words in the book. I have look for the commands, but I am just not getting the right combination for the search. If I wanted to search for lifeguard and pool, what would I put in the search field?

thank you
The plugin as an option called search scope, so you could first search for lifeguard in the library, and then switch to selection only for the scope, select the books with lifeguard and run the search for pool.
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 05:56 PM   #878
bluepiggy42
bluepiggy42 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
The plugin as an option called search scope, so you could first search for lifeguard in the library, and then switch to selection only for the scope, select the books with lifeguard and run the search for pool.
That's awesome! Thank you for pointing that out, it will be super helpful.
bluepiggy42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 02:33 AM   #879
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Search ePubs... and Replace

It would be wonderful to have that functionality.
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:57 AM   #880
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
It would be wonderful to have that functionality.
You can search/replace in the editor.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 AM   #881
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You can search/replace in the editor.
Sure!
And if they are some (many) epubs at once?
jbacelar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #882
FDLucko
FDLucko began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Selecting all marked items.

Just installed Quality Check Plugin. Is realy helping to get my database in order. I have around 4000 entries. When using the "check titles for title case" the plugin marked around 130 entries at various locations. It seems to have also pinned the entries. I wanted to use "edit metadata in bulk", so I <Ctrl> clicked all 130+ entries. I'm sure there was an easier way, either by grouping all the marked entries and <shift> selecting; or some shortcut way of selecting all the marked entries. I'd like to learn what I should have done. Any ideas?

Group edit worked out great, except for one entry was FDR which I want to keep all caps. That is not a problem, except I cannot get rid of the PIN by the entry number.
FDLucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:45 PM   #883
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDLucko View Post
JI wanted to use "edit metadata in bulk", so I <Ctrl> clicked all 130+ entries. I'm sure there was an easier way, either by grouping all the marked entries and <shift> selecting; or some shortcut way of selecting all the marked entries. I'd like to learn what I should have done. Any ideas?

Group edit worked out great, except for one entry was FDR which I want to keep all caps. That is not a problem, except I cannot get rid of the PIN by the entry number.
To access various pinning options you need to add the 'Mark Books' tool to one of your calibre toolbars or menus.

You do this via Preferences > Change calibre behaviour > Toolbars & menus. The icon is a big push pin.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:00 PM   #884
FDLucko
FDLucko began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
To access various pinning options you need to add the 'Mark Books' tool to one of your calibre toolbars or menus.

You do this via Preferences > Change calibre behaviour > Toolbars & menus. The icon is a big push pin.
Worked like a charm.
FDLucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:22 PM   #885
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDLucko View Post
Just installed Quality Check Plugin. Is realy helping to get my database in order. I have around 4000 entries. When using the "check titles for title case" the plugin marked around 130 entries at various locations. It seems to have also pinned the entries. I wanted to use "edit metadata in bulk", so I <Ctrl> clicked all 130+ entries. I'm sure there was an easier way, either by grouping all the marked entries and <shift> selecting; or some shortcut way of selecting all the marked entries. I'd like to learn what I should have done. Any ideas?

When they are MARKED (the pin), you can right click Show Marked: Ctrl-A (select all)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote