Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-25-2011, 12:42 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Help me buy for my non-techie aunt

I was asking my visiting aunt if she had a library card since the Vancouver library has such a big ebook collection. So she says she doesn't but that's an intriguing idea and maybe she needs a 'kendle' or an ipad or something. I am supposed to take her shopping, and my instructions were pretty much 'money is no object and she'll buy whatever you tell her.' Whee! She is very non-techie and might be a bit overwhelmed by an iPad so I think a Kobo might be the choice for her since it has an on-board store like the Kindle, but can read library epubs without further tweaking.

On the other hand, does Sony still have a model with an on-board store? Or is there something else I should be considering? She did just retire so she has time to fiddle a little, but I suspect she lacks the inclination. I think she would just want to be underway and reading and not have to worry about it. She has a nearby brother who also has an iPad, but I think it might be fiddly to get library books on there.

So...Kobo? Sony? Something else?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #2
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I was asking my visiting aunt if she had a library card since the Vancouver library has such a big ebook collection. So she says she doesn't but that's an intriguing idea and maybe she needs a 'kendle' or an ipad or something. I am supposed to take her shopping, and my instructions were pretty much 'money is no object and she'll buy whatever you tell her.' Whee! She is very non-techie and might be a bit overwhelmed by an iPad so I think a Kobo might be the choice for her since it has an on-board store like the Kindle, but can read library epubs without further tweaking.

On the other hand, does Sony still have a model with an on-board store? Or is there something else I should be considering? She did just retire so she has time to fiddle a little, but I suspect she lacks the inclination. I think she would just want to be underway and reading and not have to worry about it. She has a nearby brother who also has an iPad, but I think it might be fiddly to get library books on there.

There is the Sony store, which can be accessed using the Sony Reader computer software or wifi or 3G on the PRS-950 model only. (The 950 has wifi and 3G, the 650 and 350 do not). However the selection on the Sony store is less than Amazon (of course), though you can easily get public domain Google books directly to the 950. I don't know how the store compares to Kobo or B&N.

If you're near a Best Buy, I suggest taking her there to play with the readers herself, and also to a Borders or Chapters for the Kobo. (BB should have Kindle, Sony and nook if you're in the states.) A lot of preference is based on form factor and user interface. I love my Sony partly because of the touch screen, but some people don't like that feature so much.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
I think an iPad is kind of overkilling for a dedicated e-reader. They are bigger and heavier and battery is not so good; they can also do much more than an eink device but hence the reason for a higher price and bigger screen. A Sony sounds like a better deal for your aunt.

Now, keep in mind that Kindle has tons of free books as well and is an International device; you can get those from stores different than Amazon. So, if you do not have a really strong reason to put public libraries on your top list, I would suggest a Kindle 3 as well. Even not DRM protected epubs can be easily converted in just 1 min or so via Calibre.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Electronic book reader owners have told me that the simplest to use is a Kobo becuase it has simply one button which does everything. The Sony PRSs have a lot of icons on their screens each doing different things and are therefore considerably more complicated. My Libra Pro is very simple however it has multiple buttons on it unlike the Kobo.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #5
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post

The Sony PRS-950 model has the on-board store, but unfortunately it is not sold in stores in Canada. I'm pretty sure that Borders will ship to Canada, though (if you are in Canada, seeing as you have mentioned that your Aunt lives in beautiful Vancouver). Have fun shopping with her!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2011, 01:46 PM   #6
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
I think the kobo is the best bet, simple, easy, light and comfortable, pretty solid bookstore platform, does ePub, and wireless as well.

good price on them right now.

That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #7
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I think the kobo is the best bet, simple, easy, light and comfortable, pretty solid bookstore platform, does ePub, and wireless as well.

good price on them right now.

That's what I would do if I were in your shoes.
I agree with boswd. Kobo sounds like the right way to go. My boss just got one at Christmas and she's the least techie person I know, so far she loves it and can't seem to put it down...even at work
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:51 AM   #8
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
Electronic book reader owners have told me that the simplest to use is a Kobo becuase it has simply one button which does everything. The Sony PRSs have a lot of icons on their screens each doing different things and are therefore considerably more complicated. My Libra Pro is very simple however it has multiple buttons on it unlike the Kobo.
The icons on the screen are book covers and when you tap them you open a book for reading. I don't know what an earth could be easier.

Please consider the convenience of a touchscreen. I gave my first reader away after a very short time because I loved reading on it so much I forgot it was a reader and wanted to turn the pages with my fingers. Now I have a Sony and just love the natural reading experience.

The Sony store is extremely easy to handle.

If I were in your shoes I'd buy her a Sony PRS 950 without hestitating for a single second.
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 08:56 AM   #9
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
A lot of preference is based on form factor and user interface. I love my Sony partly because of the touch screen, but some people don't like that feature so much.
I found that my very elderly parents (88 years old) much preferred the Sony touch screen to having to use buttons and menus. In the end, neither wanted an ebook reader as a gift, but they preferred my Sony 950 to the Nook or Kindle. They found it easier to use because of the touch screen.

My father found himself getting confused on how to access, for example, the dictionary on the Kindle. He liked just having to double tap the word on the Sony.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:13 AM   #10
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
If price is no object and she wants to download library books then the 950 is a great idea. The 7 inch screen will hold more words on the page and will allow her to use a larger font size without having to change pages as regularly.

The Kobo and the Kindle are the two e-readers most easily available in Canada that are easiest to use. Kobo has the advantage in that it can be used at the library. I don't know how good the Kobo bookstore is but you can do a run through with her and make sure that the books that she wants to buy are available. My understanding is that Kobo bookstore uses coupons for many books and hence a bit cheaper then other stores. So if it sells books that she wants then the Kobo would be a good fit.

If the Kobo bookstore doesn't meet her needs and she is struggling with the idea of sideloading books, then look at the Kindle. It is easy to use, has a good bookstore (not great due to geo restrictions), and can download the books wirelessly.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 01-26-2011 at 01:03 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 11:29 AM   #11
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post

My only concern with the Sony, and actually any e-reader that you would use with the library, is that she is going to have to learn how to run library books through ADE and then sideload them to her device.
No you don't use ADE, the Sony Reader Library downloads them also!

Just believe me it is as easy as turning on your TV. The Sony comes with all the software you need and it is easy to handle. The screen shows you the book covers and you open them by tapping. You turn your pages with a fingerswipe. You download bought and library books with a tap/klick and the screen is big and mat.

Everything else is cheaper because it is not as good. When price is not the matter and you want the easiest to use get a 950!!

Last edited by Poppaea; 01-26-2011 at 11:33 AM. Reason: highlighted
Old 01-26-2011, 12:31 PM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
No you don't use ADE, the Sony Reader Library downloads them also!

Just believe me it is as easy as turning on your TV. The Sony comes with all the software you need and it is easy to handle. The screen shows you the book covers and you open them by tapping. You turn your pages with a fingerswipe. You download bought and library books with a tap/klick and the screen is big and mat.

Everything else is cheaper because it is not as good. When price is not the matter and you want the easiest to use get a 950!!
You really don't need to yell. I have read posts where people say that they have to convert the library books with ADE. I am sorry if this upsets you but that it the impression I was left with. You download the book to your computer, you use ADE, you sideload.

It is more then possible that what they means is that the ADE is on the Sony and there is no extra step but that is not how I have seen it posted. If that is the case, great. I will happily not post that but typing in bold font without explaining is not going to help.

You will also note that the first reader I suggested was the 950 so I was not bashing Sony.

I would not agree that everything else is cheaper because it is not as good. The Sony is more expensive because of the touchscreen. I am fine without a touchscreen so I don't need to pay the cost of having a touchscreen. So K3, Nook, and Kobo are less expensive then the 650 because of the lack of a touchscreen. If you are fine using buttons and a directional pad you can save yourself a good amount of money on a reader and spend it on books or a nice cover.

If you love the touchscreen then the Sony is the best option available for e-ink. If you don't have to have a touchscreen then there are a series of other options that can work very nicely for folks.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:37 PM   #13
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
You really don't need to yell. I have read posts where people say that they have to convert the library books with ADE. I am sorry if this upsets you but that it the impression I was left with. You download the book to your computer, you use ADE, you sideload.

It is more then possible that what they means is that the ADE is on the Sony and there is no extra step but that is not how I have seen it posted. If that is the case, great. I will happily not post that but typing in bold font without explaining is not going to help.
I did not mean to scream at you I wanted to make sure the OP doesn't miss this piece of information.

And I did not mention that the Sony comes with ADE as it does not come with ADE because it does not need ADE. When you download a book from the library you can download it with the Sony Reader Library. There is absolute no need for the use of ADE.
Old 01-26-2011, 12:44 PM   #14
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
I did not mean to scream at you I wanted to make sure the OP doesn't miss this piece of information.

And I did not mention that the Sony comes with ADE as it does not come with ADE because it does not need ADE. When you download a book from the library you can download it with the Sony Reader Library. There is absolute no need for the use of ADE.
Thank you.

So can you tell me when it is that ADE is needed?
Old 01-26-2011, 12:50 PM   #15
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat

Quote:
Thank you.

So can you tell me when it is that ADE is needed?
Using a Sony never.