Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Upload Help

Notices

Old 07-26-2007, 10:54 PM   #1
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Harvard Classics Series Now Complete

The final three volumes of the Harvard Classics (HC) series have now been posted and Bob Russell asked me to explain a bit about the series and the production of the series.

First, for those of you not familiar with the HC, they were assembled under the Editorship of Charles W. Eliot, past President of Harvard College. Called “the five foot shelf of books” they consist of 49 volumes drawn from the greatest writing then available in English. The subjects range from travel, to science, to myth, to biography, to folk tales, to plays, to history, to religion, to poetry, to … every area of civilization and humanity. Originally published from 1909 to 1917, it stayed in print for many years and is still available used for prices upwards to $2,500.

On the Internet there have been several sources available that offered all or part of the series. The Portable Harvard Classics started and posted a several volumes before going dark. Recently another site has offered PDF files of the first seven or so volumes divided into individual books within each volume for a fee. Each book does have unique original cover art and he says the cost is just to cover his bandwidth.

The only full HC set until now has been at Bartleby. They have the complete series on line for no charge. They also have extensive advertising surrounding the text and the site will leave a number of tracking cookies and adware on your computer if your security settings are not high enough. They also have many other great reference works available on line.

Some individual books and one complete volume are also available at Project Gutenberg.

For sources I used available indexes of the series, texts from Project Gutenberg, electronic copies of some works that were emailed to me, and imaged copies of the series from the Internet Archives. They have PDF copies of most of the volumes along with sometimes questionable quality OCR versions of the images.

For proofing the text I used the PDF images, Bartleby, and several books I have around here including my late Uncle’s old college text of English poetry. Most work was done in MS Word (often using Stingo’s Word Macro) and then transferred to BookDesigner 5.0 (BD) via DOC, RTF, or HTML depending upon the source material. In BD the links for the notes were created and checked, the titles and subtitles fixed, and the front pages arranged. On most volumes the series seal is included on the title page as well as the MobileRead logo and the “mobileread.com” name.

The covers were created in Corel Draw and feature the Harvard seal in the center with the title above it in Wilke font. At the bottom of the page is the MobileRead logo again and the “mobileread.com” name.

The series is now complete for the Sony Reader BBeB/LRF users. I will post the missing volumes for the MobiPocket users by the end of the weekend. The first volume posted at MobileRead was on 15 April 07 so the whole project took about three and one-half months.

I have learned a lot over the course of creating these volumes and I want to thank all of you for your assistance, support, and karma. Special thanks to Bob Russell for encouraging me throughout the process and to Alex for hosting the books.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 10:38 AM   #2
UncleDuke
books & doughnuts
UncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five wordsUncleDuke can name that ebook in five words

Device: sony reader, kindle2
thank you
UncleDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM   #3
sic
Addict
sic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enoughsic will become famous soon enough

Device: SONY reader
Thanks. It was a brilliant idea to start converting this collection.
sic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 12:53 PM   #4
Slowhanz
Slowhanz began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500, Zire 72
I want to add my thanks for all of your work. I've only had my Sony Reader for a few weeks, but what a treat to have the HC available. Bravo!

G
Slowhanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have added 17 more Mobi/PRC formatted titles and will post the 12 remaining shortly so that all may have a complete set of the Harvard Classics.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:37 PM   #6
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Fantastic work! Posterity owes you a debt!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 08:08 PM   #7
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
Thanks Rwood!!

The HC is an impressive collection, a piece of History itself. None of it has lost relevance.
I for one was planing on reading it but the Bartleby edition was really unpleasant.
Sadly, nowadays education is conceived by too many as an abstract re elaboration of knowledge, detached from history, or context.
ducating through the great books of our time is clearly much more demanding. But in my opinion it's well worth it.
It reminds me of Adler's Paideia proposal.

Anyway, thanks again.
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
RWood
Technogeezer

The Harvard Classics series is now complete in both Sony/BBeB and Mobi/PRC formats.

The enclosed (letter size) PDF is a short checklist and index to all the volumes. I posted it before in another thread. Sorry for the duplication.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Harvard Classics Checklist.pdf (17.1 KB, 1376 views)
Old 07-29-2007, 08:52 AM   #9
grimo1re
Geekette
grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.grimo1re could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Sony Reader PRS500, PocketBook 360
You rock!
grimo1re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #10
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

This is great!

One issue: It's looking to me like the tables of contents in the mobi files aren't hyperlinked to the text. I may be missing something (I am not actually looking at it in Mobipocket, but via a mobi2html converter that I am writing.)
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 03:53 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
This is great!

One issue: It's looking to me like the tables of contents in the mobi files aren't hyperlinked to the text. I may be missing something (I am not actually looking at it in Mobipocket, but via a mobi2html converter that I am writing.)
I just took a look and I know the problem. Book Designer makes nice inline ToC for LRF. But it doesn't do the same for the MobiPocket format. So since the books don't have ToC links internally, the Mobi version needs to have ToC type links put into the actual file given that Book Designer does not put in inline ToC for Mobi.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:22 PM   #12
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
This is a great achievement and a wonderful resource. Thanks for making it available to us, RWood.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:18 AM   #13
rmeister0
Addict
rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.rmeister0 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Congratulations on completing an enormous task.

Consider taking a vacation
rmeister0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:36 PM   #14
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I just took a look and I know the problem. Book Designer makes nice inline ToC for LRF. But it doesn't do the same for the MobiPocket format. So since the books don't have ToC links internally, the Mobi version needs to have ToC type links put into the actual file given that Book Designer does not put in inline ToC for Mobi.
Ah. This is where the html0 source would help, because it would be fairly easy to script the generation of a nice ToC. The scripts that I used for generating HTML do recover some of the ToCs as hyperlinks, but not all.

Last edited by pruss; 07-30-2007 at 03:39 PM.
pruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:44 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss View Post
Ah. This is where the html0 source would help, because it would be fairly easy to script the generation of a nice ToC. The scripts that I used for generating HTML do recover some of the ToCs as hyperlinks, but not all.
You might be best off going from the LRF seeing as they do have ToC.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote