Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 09:11 AM   #181
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think of tablets with a detatchable soft keyboard/cover (the Surface and its clones) as a 2-in-1. I think of them as very nice tablets.

A 2-in-1 is a one of those laptops where the keyboard can fold all the way back.

That's just me, I guess.
To me a 2 in 1 is a tablet that comes with a hard keyboard that it docks into. So it truly goes from tablet to laptop. I have a Dell Latitude like this. But it seems like I've seen both the folio types and the fold back types marketed as 2 in 1s as well.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #182
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richwood View Post
I remember we got our first TV when we moved to NY in late 1952. There certainly were ads on TV, most live and subject to a few errors on occasion. I remember a commercial for Melmac plastic dishes. The guy dumped a table full off the table while saying it was unbreakable and right on TV one piece broke when it hit the floor! Also advertisements from discount furniture stores were common. A room full of furniture for $69. Talk about inflation since.

By late 1952 in NY all TV shows had advertising of some sort just like there had been advertising on network radio shows since at least the early 1930s.

As far as internet and TV advertising, I buy virtually NOTHING based on advertising. If I buy something based on an emailed ad it is because I have bought from the advertiser before. I run a pop-up blocker too so see relatively few internet ads and mute the TV ones. Most of mine are received via email. If Yahoo and Facebook depended on me for response to ads they would both be bankrupt.
For the next week or so, I will get ads for crockpots. I looked up the price of lids today.
Interesting the official lid is $23. The entire crockpot is $25.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #183
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
For the next week or so, I will get ads for crockpots. I looked up the price of lids today.
Interesting the official lid is $23. The entire crockpot is $25.
A great reason to get a new crockpot. It could be worse with the lid costing more than the entire crockpot.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #184
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
On my comment, I was thinking the younger generations wouldn't catch they were advertisements and not just characters talking. Oh yes, if you watch the older shows after about the second one you catch on to the subtle ads. Except if I remember the old game shows right the dish soap of the day was Palmolive not Dawn.

Oh and I will be so glad when I run out of the dish soap pretending to be Dawn so I can go back to the good stuff.

Thanks it would also be fun to see how many of those companies are still around.

So I must ask since you don't have a TV, note I was around when my grandparents got their first TV, what do use to watch the old shows?
I have a tablet with a 128gb micro SD card filled with very old TV shows near my bed. I have another one with different shows in the living room. I also watch them on Youtube and Archive.org a lot using my tablets and my laptop.

I have a computer with a 24" screen but I rarely use that for watching videos. I much prefer the portability of my tablets and the convenience of my laptop. The screens may be smaller but they're closer so they're effectively larger.

Newer shows, on Amazon and Netflix, I watch on my laptop.

The beauty of this is that I almost never get a commercial and the very few I get are on very old shows where the commercial is kind of embedded so they were left in.

I got rid of my TV long before streaming became popular. Then one day, maybe a year later, I found an old Dragnet show that someone had uploaded. I downloaded it and watched it in about a 4"x3" window on my laptop loved it and started looking for more. There weren't many to be had in those days but little by little I began building what can best be called a collection now, although it's really best described as a hoarde.

I just checked my 50's TV folder and I have 224 TV series in it with a total of 7,174 shows. They probably make up about 60% to 70% of my TV watching.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 PM   #185
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
That's somewhat true of radio still. Pacifica stations usually will let anyone who has a good idea for a broadcast do so. They're strictly non-commercial. I'm assuming this is still true because I haven't heard that it's changed. A friend of mine founded and used to manage a Pacifica station in Houston but we've been out of touch a few years.

Barry
Yes, like PBS TV there are still some PBS radio and there is also local College stations with very low power that can reach the town and not much further. Similarly there are also some Colleges that have local low power TV stations. Even these are likely to mention local events in town although they are not paid ads.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:54 PM   #186
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
A great reason to get a new crockpot. It could be worse with the lid costing more than the entire crockpot.
We are just going to put a new knob on the lid.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:55 PM   #187
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
I have a tablet with a 128gb micro SD card filled with very old TV shows near my bed. I have another one with different shows in the living room. I also watch them on Youtube and Archive.org a lot using my tablets and my laptop.

I have a computer with a 24" screen but I rarely use that for watching videos. I much prefer the portability of my tablets and the convenience of my laptop. The screens may be smaller but they're closer so they're effectively larger.

Newer shows, on Amazon and Netflix, I watch on my laptop.

The beauty of this is that I almost never get a commercial and the very few I get are on very old shows where the commercial is kind of embedded so they were left in.

I got rid of my TV long before streaming became popular. Then one day, maybe a year later, I found an old Dragnet show that someone had uploaded. I downloaded it and watched it in about a 4"x3" window on my laptop loved it and started looking for more. There weren't many to be had in those days but little by little I began building what can best be called a collection now, although it's really best described as a hoarde.

I just checked my 50's TV folder and I have 224 TV series in it with a total of 7,174 shows. They probably make up about 60% to 70% of my TV watching.

Barry
1950's or 1960's Dragnet?
I hated the Dan Ackroyd movie of the same name.
Old 01-16-2018, 10:33 PM   #188
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
1950's or 1960's Dragnet?
I hated the Dan Ackroyd movie of the same name.
It was a 1950's Dragnet episode entitled "The Big Bird". I still have it.

I didn't see the Dan Ackroyd movie but i'd be surprised if it was anything like the original radio or TV show. That show revolutionized police dramas. After it nothing else was quite the same. It also added a lot of phrases to our language.

In addition to the 50's series and the 60's series there was also a 1980's series which was quite different, although they still retained a lot of the original elements. Unfortunately it only lasted a year or two but it was pretty good.

One of the things about Joe Friday, the lead detective in the show, was that he was pure. In everything he did, he maintained his pure mind and heart. I've always been surprised he didn't get elevated to sainthood.

Except when he went undercover! Then he was, well, still pure: pure evil.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:32 PM   #189
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
It was a 1950's Dragnet episode entitled "The Big Bird". I still have it.

I didn't see the Dan Ackroyd movie but i'd be surprised if it was anything like the original radio or TV show. That show revolutionized police dramas. After it nothing else was quite the same. It also added a lot of phrases to our language.

In addition to the 50's series and the 60's series there was also a 1980's series which was quite different, although they still retained a lot of the original elements. Unfortunately it only lasted a year or two but it was pretty good.

One of the things about Joe Friday, the lead detective in the show, was that he was pure. In everything he did, he maintained his pure mind and heart. I've always been surprised he didn't get elevated to sainthood.

Except when he went undercover! Then he was, well, still pure: pure evil.

Barry
The only thing I can say about the movie is it was an insult to Jack Webb. I don't mean as Joe Friday but as the producer of the show. He kept it and Emergency real. The movie from what I could watch was the exact opposite to the show. (It made the cops look stupid.)
Old 01-17-2018, 12:15 AM   #190
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan46 View Post
What about when tablet's have virtual keyboards that are like touching the air? I actually think the tablet may outlive the laptop. Chromebooks are already merging Android into them, and are supplanting Windows in schools and other areas. Only in the office and a few professions does anyone need powerful laptops or desktops. There will be some merging to be sure. But mobile systems are on the upswing, even Apple seems to be neglecting the laptop/desktop space. Mobile devices will keep improving.
I can't figure out how some people use touchscreens without the things going haywire. I have tried touch devices, I can't use them, and I can't avoid accidental zooming, with zoom-induced migraines.

I *hope* there are still some devices for users with photosensitivity, sensory processing issues, and/or coordination issues.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #191
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I can't figure out how some people use touchscreens without the things going haywire. I have tried touch devices, I can't use them, and I can't avoid accidental zooming, with zoom-induced migraines.

I *hope* there are still some devices for users with photosensitivity, sensory processing issues, and/or coordination issues.
I usually use one finger on the tablet.
Old 01-17-2018, 11:09 AM   #192
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
I can't use touchscreens either. It's an exercise in frustration for me. I try to scroll and I end up clicking on to a link and have to go back. Or I try to select a link and get the one above or below and have to go back. The stupid apps don't have the handy little X in the top corner for closing them. I could go on and on. The touch interface is horrible. I want the flexibility and precision of a mouse.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 12:46 PM   #193
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
I can't use touchscreens either. It's an exercise in frustration for me. I try to scroll and I end up clicking on to a link and have to go back. Or I try to select a link and get the one above or below and have to go back.
That happens to me too, fairly often. I usually use a pen with my tablet, not fingers. The reason I use a tablet at all is that a keyboard gets in the way when I'm curled up on the sofa.

Btw, I don't like Android, I have a Windows 10 tablet that can handle desktop programs.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:02 PM   #194
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
That's somewhat true of radio still. Pacifica stations usually will let anyone who has a good idea for a broadcast do so. They're strictly non-commercial. I'm assuming this is still true because I haven't heard that it's changed. A friend of mine founded and used to manage a Pacifica station in Houston but we've been out of touch a few years.

Barry
KPFT! I don't listen to them much now, but I donate to them monthly anyway.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:05 PM   #195
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
I have a cheap cellphone I bought to load up with old time radio shows. I enjoy My Favorite Wife and Jack Benny, but my mainstays are Suspense and Dimension X/X Minus One.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote