Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-20-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
synapse
synapse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle2
Any advice on unbricking the Kindle 2?

I've used my Kindle with 2.3 firmware and Unicode font hack for like a month. Then, after I tried to create a highlight it gone brick. First it hanged up, then the screen went blank, and now it shows just the top status line with book title and battery status (battery status changes when it is charging). It still works as USB drive. Any advice?
synapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 08:08 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Can you see any menus when you press the menu button?
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 08:12 PM   #3
synapse

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Can you see any menus when you press the menu button?
No, it doesn't react to any of the buttons.

Last edited by synapse; 01-20-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:24 PM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I doubt it has anything to do with the 2.3 upgrade or the font hack. Something else is going on.

From the Kindle Troubleshooting Guide

Quote:
Kindle screen frozen or Kindle unresponsive.

Possible cause:

* Low battery charge.

1. Plug the Kindle into a wall outlet.
2. Ensure the Kindle is charging (the indicator light should be on).
3. Wait 2 minutes.
4. If necessary unplug the Kindle and reset by moving and holding the power switch for 15 seconds before releasing it.

Kindle showing lines on screen.

Possible cause:

* The Kindle may be affected by electromagnetic interference or screen may be defective.

Move and hold the power switch for 15 seconds before releasing it.
If neither of those work, you're going to have give Amazon a call on this one. They're really good with working through issues like this. They'll probably send you a replacement Kindle if they can't figure it out.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #5
synapse

Thanks for the reset tip! It worked! I was imagining the world of pain I'd have to go through to get the device replaced (I'm in Russia, hence the font hack).
Advert
Old 01-20-2010, 08:45 PM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Excellent! I'm really glad it worked for you.