Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

View Poll Results: What do you think of the current MobileRead Logo
I love it, it must never be changed, my personal world would fall off its axis! 1 1.08%
It's fine the way it is. 8 8.60%
I'd kinda like to see something else. 72 77.42%
I hate it as I hate roaches, as I loathe the scum growing inside disused toilets, as .... 7 7.53%
*I* would like to design a new one! I'll attach it below when I get something! 5 5.38%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 04:44 PM   #91
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
If you swapped it so the guy is walking the other direction (to the right) and stuck his leg out as though he were taking a step, then the pile of books would almost look like an "M" and the guy would almost look like an "R" -- very clever.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #92
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Okay, based unashamedly on one of Steve Jordan's variants, and combining several other ideas kicked around in the discussion, here's my (really) rough example of how I see them going together.

If somebody likes the idea enough, and has better skills/tools/talent in the area and wants to clean it up a bit, please consider yourself gratefully invited to do so.

I'll also upload the "blank" I worked from for the rough parts in case that helps someone (I pretty much borrowed it whole from Steve ).
Priceless! We're back to the thumb!
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2007, 08:22 PM   #93
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, there is a continuity there I hadn't considered -- at least the whole thing doesn't look like a thumb!
Old 08-27-2007, 08:29 PM   #94
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Yeah, there is a continuity there I hadn't considered -- at least the whole thing doesn't look like a thumb!
The hitchhiker's guide to the . . . (world of mobile literacy?)
Old 08-27-2007, 08:31 PM   #95
NatCh
Gizmologist

I like it!
Advert
Old 08-27-2007, 08:42 PM   #96
mogui
eNigma

Maybe this: would be a good logo
Old 08-28-2007, 08:51 AM   #97
Münchener
Searching for e-Gutemberg
Münchener began at the beginning.

Device: PRS500
I think the current logo looks like a finger with an antenna attached. When (if) it looks like a mobile phone, it kind of leaves the other reading devices out. I think the logo should be created upon the idea of an ubiquous mobile reading concept.
Münchener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:05 AM   #98
NatCh
Gizmologist

A lot of folks clearly agree with you, Münchener.

The old logo (as I understand it) was created when MobileRead focused a lot more on phones, and some PDA applications. At the time, the phone thing was fairly representative. But things have changed with the advent of dedicated e-reading hardware (and some dandy multifunctional devices, such as UMPCs, that are pretty nicely serviceable as readers too) that folks can, and are getting excited about.

Which is what prompted us (Alex, actually) to start talking about a new logo in the first place.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:57 AM   #99
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Couple of thoughts.
The rings around the old logo represent waves as in communication's micro waves. Most of today's readers don't use them.
The best way to describe portability is to show a hand, it's the ulimate in clarity.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:37 PM   #100
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Ouch! I guess my symbolism is out of date if not actually threadbare. Towers with lines shooting out of the top meant radio; spheres with rings around them meant univerality, an encompasing . . .. Gosh, maybe I need another nap.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 05:59 PM   #101
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
Has the quest for a new logo died? Or are people working away savagely in their celler?
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2007, 11:05 PM   #102
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm not sure. I hope it's not yet died. I'd love to see more.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 09:01 AM   #103
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
little rant

Im just going to apologize up front / offer a disclaimer. I have very strong views on how certain tasks should be undertaken, and what the proper criteria are for certain organizational focal points. If I come off as overly aggressive, condescending, or megalomaniacal, it was not my intent.

When designing an icon, trade mark, or other branding image you need to keep in mind its purpose. To be identified with the organization! I love artistic imagery as much as the next guy, but almost everything comes second to the ability to tell that its your logo, at many sizes, printed on a tee shirt, stamped on someones forehead, made into paper weights...

It is helpful to include elements that people are familiar with, either representations of concrete objects, or geometric patterns that they can recognize. This part we have been doing well with.

An ideal logo can be put in a single or dual color format and still be recognized.

Text should be avoided when possible. Part of this is the saleability, but specific text makes the symbol less portable. Having a location where a name, or tag line is normally placed, and then putting it in the proper language seems to work much better.

-------on imagery--------

when talking about artistic imagery people need to reach a general agreement on what is important about their organization that you are trying to represent.

Do the electronics matter to this community, or is reading the only focal point. Is it specifically mobile devices that you want to focus on, or is the text content being portable more important? Do we care about the environmental impact of our movement, or is it more focused with the tech cool progress, or maybe just that books are being made available in a way that has no printing or distribution costs... basically, find a focus, or where the common ground is. Don't assume that it is known, unless there is a well circulated and commonly accepted central mission statement.

-------Criticism-------
Be as specific as you can. This has to do with proper communication as well as the psychological construct built up around sharing ideas. When someone puts their idea forward and it is criticized in a general way, they are likely to eliminate more ideas than were actually subject to the criticisms.
example:"I don't like the thumb"
do you not like the way it is drawn?
do you not like its location, or that it is a right or left thumb?
do you hate all thumbs categorically?

The hardest part of good criticism is taking the time to become comfortable enough with your own reaction to something that you can address its parts. The strongest reactions come normally from identifying something you all ready have strong feelings about, or by seeing something that conflicts with your expectations somehow. So really, look at it for a min or two, add or remove elements in your head for a while. If something dosen't look right print it out and add lines, white out parts... do what ever you have to do to not leave vague criticisms!

Last edited by aapezzuto; 09-24-2007 at 09:03 AM.
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #104
aapezzuto
Zealot
aapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enoughaapezzuto will become famous soon enough

Device: none
OK, now that I got that out of my system, here is my whack at it.

I have been very happy with the ideas that have been thrown around. My frame of reference is that I like ebooks, and any new form of communication. What fascinates me most is the idea that publishers may have less roll in our literature than the writers soon

Artistically I too am more of a minimalist... and I think that the idea put forward by Steve Jordan was incredible. It had a great use of negative space, which I love, but understand that most people's eye are adverse to. I have tried to keep his theme, while removing even more of the dateable pieces of the reader. I imagine eventually all e-books will have 1-2 buttons that are barely visitable and use a touch screen to do almost everything, but most likely they will continue to be about book size, and have a screen... so thats about all I left.

I have tried to include a few minor variations, one is completely transparent, and I have added lines in one it imply text. I also also attached my original psd file so others can further edit the idea!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ColoredNL.png
Views:	355
Size:	22.2 KB
ID:	5794   Click image for larger version

Name:	transparent.png
Views:	342
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	5795   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhiteNL.png
Views:	380
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	5796   Click image for larger version

Name:	WhiteWL.png
Views:	343
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	5797  
Attached Images
File Type: psd mobileread.psd (298.0 KB, 284 views)
aapezzuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 12:48 PM   #105
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
I kinda like the idea of the binary code going in and readable text coming out. I also have to agree with the majority of voters here that the current logo seems to be cellular-centric. Too bad I don't have Photoshop loaded up on an of my PC's (maybe it's on my Tablet that's gather dust...).

Anyway, here's my idea:

Keep the current swirl-type effect, but change it to binary swooping/curling in from one side and text coming out the other; perhaps some famous, yet small, quote from a book that's no longer under copyright.

In the middle, where the data is swirling into, have some device mocked up that has a neutral appearance; i.e., not a cellphone, PDA, Reader, Iliad, et al., just a mobile device. You could probably get creative and emblazon a logo on the top of the device that has the initials of the forum; perhaps a backward R connected to an M (probably shouldn't use an R connected to an M's right-side, this logo is already in use by Master Replicas among others). In keeping with Jason Chapman's first image, maybe put a circle in the middle of the device's screen, with a dissolve from binary to text, indicating the the conversion from bits to recognizable material.

Just an idea that sounds and, in my mind, looks pretty darn cool. Maybe someone can go with the idea.

Edit: After catching up on page 2 of this thread, I really dug Steve Jordan's mock-up on the earlier posted device. Now going with that and changing the rings into what I described above would be cool. I also liked the idea of welcome in different languages, perhpas have those in the swirling out ring and the quite idea in the circle-dissolve on the screen of the reader. Cool ideas everyone!

Last edited by Azayzel; 09-24-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Oops, guess I missed a page in there...
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote