Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 AM   #1
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Font Nerds, to the Font Cave!

Dudes (and ladies, should any have been summoned by the Commissioner's Font Signal)...

Question. I've acquired a handful of color fonts. You know, https://www.colorfonts.wtf type fonts. (Particularly PopSky, which I pathetically confess I love...)

Now, as near as I can tell, (and yes, I suck, this may not be related to eBooks, AT ALL!! The horror!), I can only make use of these in very new Illustrator or Photoshop and very, VERY new INDD app(s). There is a Mac app or two that can use them, but after that, it's SFA.

I've tried Inkscape, Gimp...nada. Nothing in the MS Office suite of products, new or old, seems to be able to deploy them.

Anybody here had any luck in finding something a bit off the beaten path, for color fonts? I'm dying to deply one or two, but I'm hanged if I'm going to upgrade my Adobe apps if I absolutely do not HAVE TO.

Thoughts?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:27 AM   #2
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
I already follow Matt Lyon's blog so of course I'm prejudiced in favor of his PlayBox.

Have you tried Affinity Designer?
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:31 AM   #3
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumpynose View Post
I already follow Matt Lyon's blog so of course I'm prejudiced in favor of his PlayBox.

Nah, no cigar. It's just black, or whatever color you choose to fill it with.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:34 AM   #4
lumpynose
Wizard

Are you using the pre-subscription versions of the Adobe apps? I thought that with the subscription version it's always updated. Or are they offering non-subscription versions again.
Old 05-21-2019, 03:46 AM   #5
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
(Particularly PopSky, which I pathetically confess I love...)
Reminds me of a Duran Duran cd case. Rio, "Hungry like the wolf."
Old 05-21-2019, 06:36 AM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Can't you use them in Word's WordArt? You may have to install the font into Word first, which I think uses installed computer fonts. However, I use Windows, so I'm not sure how a Mac would handle this.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #7
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

No, but, see next...

Quote:
Nah, no cigar. It's just black, or whatever color you choose to fill it with.
Yeah. Ditto everything else I've tried. (sigh)

Quote:
Are you using the pre-subscription versions of the Adobe apps? I thought that with the subscription version it's always updated. Or are they offering non-subscription versions again.
Yup. I'm one of the last of the idiots that paid full boat for the apps, pre-subscription and it torques me no end that now any idiot can afford it AND they want me to subscribe, too. It's insult to injury.

Quote:
Reminds me of a Duran Duran cd case. Rio, "Hungry like the wolf."
:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
Can't you use them in Word's WordArt? You may have to install the font into Word first, which I think uses installed computer fonts. However, I use Windows, so I'm not sure how a Mac would handle this.
Nuttin'. Just as black as it is if I use it as a regular font. I admit, if there's some additional step to install the font "into Word," I don't know what that is. I have Popsky, both single-color and color versions, installed as system fonts, but NOTHIN'. Man, I've tried almost everything, even apps I have that convert fonts that are not embedded into images. NOTHING.

I swear, I don't mind the fact that if you're pioneering, y'know, the whole arrows in the back thing, but to my view, NOBODY uses colored fonts. It's a FEW Adobe programs, a handful of Mac apps that honestly, nobody's ever heard of (if you have, great, but I'm grumbling here...) and that's it. I You can say the words "OpenType-SVG fonts" all you want, and click your heels, but right now, they're boat anchors...they don't bloody DO anything. IOW, you can't get there from here.

I wanted to use Popsky for something for my biz, but it's ridiculous that I can't use it. I mean, even if I said, Oh, scr3w it, I'll update my Photoshop, I don't WANT to only use it in images, either. I'd like to be able to just put it wherever I want and TYPE, dammit.

/grumble.

Hitch
Old 05-21-2019, 01:52 PM   #8
lumpynose
Wizard

It could be that the Adobe apps use the fonts directly, not when they're installed in the system. If I remember correctly that's how they worked with the multiple master fonts, but it was so long ago I could be misremembering. Those were sort of hinkey in my opinion because you had to fiddle with some knobs and generate whatever variation you wanted and save it, rather than generate them on the fly. In the beginning the Adobe font manager had the knobs and then later Illustrator also acquired the knobs. I like the idea of multiple master fonts but unfortunately it never caught on, but I don't know if the newer font formats have something like it.

For the Adobe CC, since it's your business, can't you write off the expense or something?

I'll always remember my fondness for Illustrator. I'm just an amateur noodling around but I was so impressed with how powerful it was and that it cost a fraction of what Photoshop cost. Hopefully I'll get back into what I'd been doing, repeating patterns, with Affinity Designer, but it's so easy being a slacker these days.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:07 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
It could be that the Adobe apps use the fonts directly, not when they're installed in the system. If I remember correctly that's how they worked with the multiple master fonts, but it was so long ago I could be misremembering. Those were sort of hinkey in my opinion because you had to fiddle with some knobs and generate whatever variation you wanted and save it, rather than generate them on the fly. In the beginning the Adobe font manager had the knobs and then later Illustrator also acquired the knobs. I like the idea of multiple master fonts but unfortunately it never caught on, but I don't know if the newer font formats have something like it.

For the Adobe CC, since it's your business, can't you write off the expense or something?

I'll always remember my fondness for Illustrator. I'm just an amateur noodling around but I was so impressed with how powerful it was and that it cost a fraction of what Photoshop cost. Hopefully I'll get back into what I'd been doing, repeating patterns, with Affinity Designer, but it's so easy being a slacker these days.
Hi:

Oh, yes, I do write it off, that's not really the issue. It's that I paid a WHACK of dough for the "old" Adobe Master Collection of apps--you name it, I have it, basically--and then, voila!, anyone could license same for mere pennies, really. It torqued my bum, and I'm still damned mad about it.

NOT to mention, on a professional front, it's made our jobs SO much harder. I used to be able to say "INDD discount for pros, give us your indd package files and we'll discount the work X." right? Nooooo, now, I have to inspect every damned INDD package file I get, beause some of them are utter crap, done by people who decided that they were gonna be experts on Wednesday after having downloaded the software on bloody Monday. It's significantly increased my workload, and it's significantly increased the number of people being ripped-off by incompetent "print designers" everywhere.

So, yes, I might be cutting off my own nose to spite my face, but it's infuriating that they got THOUSANDS, mind you, of my money and then practically turned around in the same breath and now want me to license the bloody stuff as if I never bought it in the first bleeping place. I know many in the biz that are also not "upgrading" for the same reason. We kinda feel betrayed by it, and that Adobe is money-grubbing without making any realistic accommodation for those that paid out the nose--seeming to fawn over those that are paying a whopping $12 or $20 or $52/month. It's just...infuriating.

I don't think it has anything to do with live fonts versus active versus embedded. I work with fonts all the time, and that's second nature to me. it's something else, having to do with the ability to see and use "OpenType-SVG fonts". That's the thing, I'm reasonably certain.

/more grumbling

Hitch
Old 05-21-2019, 02:22 PM   #10
lumpynose
Wizard

Yeah, I can sympathize. It's hard to find companies that actually care about their customers.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:25 PM   #11
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
... done by people who decided that they were gonna be experts on Wednesday after having downloaded the software on bloody Monday.
Sounds like me!
Old 05-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Yeah, I can sympathize. It's hard to find companies that actually care about their customers.
Yes. You'd think that they would have AT LEAST made some sort of big-ass concession, but no.

Quote:
Sounds like me!
Everybody has to start somewhere, so, fine, no problem. But I wish that they would at least admit that they've been doing book-layout for five minutes, not five years and save me some damned time.

Hitch
Old 05-21-2019, 02:37 PM   #13
lumpynose
Wizard

Quote:
Yes. You'd think that they would have AT LEAST made some sort of big-ass concession, but no.

Everybody has to start somewhere, so, fine, no problem. But I wish that they would at least admit that they've been doing book-layout for five minutes, not five years and save me some damned time.

Hitch
C'mon, they're self-appointed experts. Not much different than the self-appointed nutrition experts with web pages spewing all sorts of illogical nonsense that they merely heard from somewhere else.
Old 05-21-2019, 02:47 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Hi:

...It torqued my bum...

I simultaneously don't understand this and love it. Is this a common saying?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 03:11 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post

I simultaneously don't understand this and love it. Is this a common saying?
Well, in the US, it's normally "torqued my ass," but I was making it a bit more family-friendly. It means, aggravated me or got on my nerves in a major way. I have NO idea of the genesis or etymology of it, though. Couldn't even tell you how long I've said it, but certainly decades at least. ;-) Happy to help with quaint sayings from our neck of the woods!

Hitch