Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Discussions

Notices

Old 05-01-2017, 07:44 AM   #31
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Of course, sometimes one must 'mispronounce' a word, because in a different place, the mispronunciation is the correct pronunciation.

There's a city in England, Warwick, pronounced 'worrick'. There is (or was) a hotel in Denver, CO, the Warwick Hotel, prononced 'wor-wick'.

When I was in Denver, it took me a minute or two before I worked this out and my taxi driver understood where I wanted to go.
There's a village in Ohio whose name is pronounced Ver-sales. (hearing the name was like nail on a chalkboard when I lived nearby)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #32
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
LOL, and now you've moved from putting words in my mouth to personal attacks.

As much as I would like to win this discussion by crafting a better argument, I am not above winning by default.
Your refusal to defend your indefensible position is duly noted.

I'll happily leave it there: there really is no argument that you could make that would lead me to dumb down to your level anyway.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:05 AM   #33
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For some reason, last time I was in Canada people could just not understand me when I asked for "water". It happened several times in various establishments. Tim Horton's seemed to be the worse.
Old 05-01-2017, 12:08 PM   #34
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
For some reason, last time I was in Canada people could just not understand me when I asked for "water". It happened several times in various establishments. Tim Horton's seemed to be the worse.
How did you pronounce it?
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:39 PM   #35
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjaybe View Post
How did you pronounce it?
Kind of like, "warter" I guess. It seems to be a word that Brits and North Americans can't agree on
Old 05-01-2017, 03:07 PM   #36
arjaybe
Guru
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Kind of like, "warter" I guess. It seems to be a word that Brits and North Americans can't agree on
That could be a problem. We expect to hear "wotter," or at least "wodder."-)
Old 05-01-2017, 03:31 PM   #37
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
That could be a problem. We expect to hear "wotter," or at least "wodder."-)
Yes. I think you're right. That's how my sister in law, a Canadian, says it.

Of course, I was also asking for a bottle of water, which seemed to exacerbate things ("bottle" seems to be another problematic word).
Old 05-01-2017, 03:34 PM   #38
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Of course, sometimes one must 'mispronounce' a word because, in a different place, the mispronunciation is the correct pronunciation.

There's a city in England, Warwick, pronounced 'worrick'. There is (or was) a hotel in Denver, CO, the Warwick Hotel, prononced 'wor-wick'.

When I was in Denver, it took me a minute or two before I worked this out and my taxi driver understood where I wanted to go.
I've been cringing all weekend, at radio info about some sports player who was drafted from a small unknown college in Pennsylvania, "Cuts town". Since I come from PA, I was pretty darned sure it should be pronounced "kuuts town". It is spelled Kutztown, and is in a German settled area. I kept shouting back at each radio announcer who said "cuts town".

Finally, this morning's announcer pronounced it correctly (kutz rhymes with puts, as in "he puts the plate on the table") and I signed with relief.

Whether or not that's a correct German pronunciation, it *is* the correct local pronunciation.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 04:40 PM   #39
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Yes. I think you're right. That's how my sister in law, a Canadian, says it.

Of course, I was also asking for a bottle of water, which seemed to exacerbate things ("bottle" seems to be another problematic word).
So how did you pronounce that?
Old 05-01-2017, 05:05 PM   #40
Bilbo1967
Not scared!

Quote:
So how did you pronounce that?

That's harder to represent here. Rest assured, it seems to be a word that Brits struggle to make clear to our North American friends.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #41
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
And then there's the Kosciuszko Bridge ...
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:38 PM   #42
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Y'all need to go listen to my favorite podcast "A Way With Words". There's lot of discussion on regional dialect and sayings etc.

It's interesting a word like
water
can be pronounced depending where you are

wahter
warter
wahder
warder
and that dropped middle t sound
wa er (sorta slurred together)

And one of my all time favorite mispronounced words...
segue
!
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 07:08 PM   #43
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by copyrite View Post
Y'all need to go listen to my favorite podcast "A Way With Words". There's lot of discussion on regional dialect and sayings etc.

And one of my all time favorite mispronounced words...
segue
!
My brother pronounces it seeg. I tried to correct him, but it just made him insist. Ya know?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:10 PM   #44
arjaybe
Guru

Quote:

That's harder to represent here. Rest assured, it seems to be a word that Brits struggle to make clear to our North American friends.
The most common pronunciation in Canada seems to be boddlawodder.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:02 AM   #45
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
One part of the Norfolk dialect is to replace 't' with a glottal stop (represented here by an apostrophe). Water -> wa'er.

Jack: I only have some bread and bu'er for my lunch.
Teacher: That's not the way to say butter, Jack. Try again.
Jack: Bu'er
Teacher: But-ter
Jack: But-ter
Teacher: There, Thass be'er.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote