Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 09-11-2010, 03:02 AM   #1
distant.star
I would prefer not to.
distant.star began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question Your Most Unique Bookmark?

What is the most unique item you have ever used as a bookmark with a paper book?

Every time I go into book stores or card/gift shops the finest bookmarks are available; some really beautiful. Yet when I look at my old books, actual bookmarks are almost never used. And the oddest items turn up.

Most common, for me, has been the original cash register receipt for the book I'm reading. After that, it could be anything, and I have used:

paper napkin
paper towels
ruler
pen knife
plastic knife
shoelace
envelope
index card
sticky note (post-it note)
post card
photograph
file tab
unfilled prescription

Anyway, the list goes on -- and on....

What's the strangest item you have used as a bookmark in a paper book?
distant.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:59 AM   #2
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
My final divorce decree in 1970.
I wanted to be able to look at it several times a day.
Almost as enjoyable as seeing my military discharge orders.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 04:55 AM   #3
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Bookmark? That's the little black triangle in the top corner of the screen right? Didn't know you could use anything else
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #4
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Funny you should ask that DistantStar. I've always been a re-reeader of my treeboks and often used to use family snaps, cinema tickets to favourite movies, drawings and letters from the kids ... all kind of sentimental stuff. Re-reading a book would bring back memories of what I was thinking first time around, a bit like diary entries might. Now, like TGS, it's a wee black triangle in the top right of the screen. Not as much fun, but I wouldn't ever revert to treebooks -- happy snapshots or no. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
"Most unique" does not make any sense. Something is either unique or it is not. There are no "degrees of uniqueness".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #6
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.

When I am reading pbooks, I have a small collection of money-clips that I choose from. It keeps your place, never falls out and never gets lost.

Cheers.
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:37 AM   #7
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
***"Most unique" does not make any sense. Something is either unique or it is not. There are no "degrees of uniqueness".***

You're such a pendant at times, Harry (though I love it). Qualifying a superlative in an informal forum post surely doesn't suggest ignorance of the rules of grammar so much as sheer enthusiasm. Hope some here agree ... almost completely! No hard feelings. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:41 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
LOL . No, it just struck me as amusing. If two things are unique, can one be said to be more unique than the other? .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 02:09 PM   #9
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
"Most unique" does not make any sense. Something is either unique or it is not. There are no "degrees of uniqueness".
Exactly what I wanted to say-- that's a pet peeve of mine. (As are writers describing their own work as "unique".)

http://www.despair.com/individuality.html

As for bookmarks, I sometimes collect world banknotes, I think I've used some obscure foreign currencies as bookmarks before.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
distant.star
I would prefer not to.
distant.star began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks, Harry. I spent many years working with prickly copy editors, and I love and respect every one of them.
distant.star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #11
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
I guess probably a ponytail holder. One of the "scrunchy" sorts, not a rubber band type.
Most common for me to use is the receipt our library prints out (like a retail store receipt) telling what books you checked out and when they're due back.
Both are pretty pathetic, considering I have an art glass jar on my desk crammed full of author bookmarks (autographed and non-autographed) that never get used.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #12
Fat Abe
Man Who Stares at Books
Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fat Abe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All of the Above
A postcard of Hedy Lamarr, in the nude. I will always return, or should I say, come back to a book with her photo (nude or not) as the bookmark.
Fat Abe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 12:52 AM   #13
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
horse hair, my hair, cable ties, a pine needle, the bit of paper you pull off of your cigarettes when you first open it, a patch from a muzzle loading rifle, braided clovers, a sprig of lavender, a sprig of rosemary, a match, a toothpick, a swizzle stick from a drink, a cherry stem..... yeah.... pretty much whatever was to hand that wasn't too terribly gross
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote