Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, Kindle 2
Loading a B&N book on to my Sony

I keep reading that you can put an ebook from B&N on to a Sony reader. I downloaded one of the B&N freebies recently to my PC, but when I tried to import it to my Sony Reader Library it said something about not being authorized or similar wording. How do you get a B&N book on to the Sony reader?
mish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
The B&N DRM (encryption method) isn't included on the Sony readers - and I hear they've still excluded it from their newly released readers.

Unless you "hack" the DRM, you can read Sony ebooks on the Nook, but you can't read B&N ebooks on the Sony.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
mish
Addict
mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mish ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks, I must have gotten it backwards.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:43 AM   #4
FizzyWater
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wish it had been better news. I'm very disappointed the new Sony readers still won't support the B&N DRM without hacking.
Old 09-05-2010, 12:51 AM   #5
OakdaleMike
Enthusiast
OakdaleMike doesn't litterOakdaleMike doesn't litter

Device: PRS-900, rooted Nook Color
However, to continue the confusion in some other threads, I can verify that books bought from the Borders site are completely compatible. I was surprised when I bought a book last night (it wasn't in the Sony store) and when I downloaded it, it automatically appeared in the Reader Library. It transfered and worked fine on my PRS-900, with zero hassle.
OakdaleMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-05-2010, 01:05 AM   #6
mish
Addict

oh man, I better not tell my sister. She bought me a B&N gift card with the thought that I could download books from B&N to my Sony...if only she went to Borders! I guess I'll be buying pbooks with it

So, 2nd question... if it is a Smashwords book on B&N, can I put those on my Sony? Or does B&N add DRM to those too?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:28 AM   #7
FizzyWater

I downloaded one or two of the "free classics" (not the ones they've been offering lately, but from maybe a year ago) that didn't have DRM.

But as far as I know, if a book is offered on B&N, it's going to have DRM.

You might do better to search Google for ignoble and learn to hack the DRM.
Old 09-05-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
frquixote
Addict
frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frquixote ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KOBO Libra 2, Kindle PW3, Samsung 8A Tablet, Samsung S10e Phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
So, 2nd question... if it is a Smashwords book on B&N, can I put those on my Sony? Or does B&N add DRM to those too?
I don't want to seem rude, but why don't you just go to Smashwords and buy it without DRM on it?
frquixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 08:03 AM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by frquixote View Post
I don't want to seem rude, but why don't you just go to Smashwords and buy it without DRM on it?
Probably because Smashwords doesn't accept B&N gift cards...
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 AM   #10
mish
Addict

Quote:
Probably because Smashwords doesn't accept B&N gift cards...
heh, heh...yup, that would be the reason, lol!
Old 09-09-2010, 12:14 PM   #11
upnseams
Enthusiast
upnseams began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro 11
Ok do u all know u can buy books from Books A Million for your readers. I have bought from them for my sony 600
upnseams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
I think I can help with the "hacking". I'll PM you.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:39 AM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mish View Post
oh man, I better not tell my sister. She bought me a B&N gift card with the thought that I could download books from B&N to my Sony...if only she went to Borders! I guess I'll be buying pbooks with it

I have a Border's Gift Card, but have been thinking of getting a Nook (well... between that and the Kobo)... if you are anywhere near MD we can trade .

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote