Notices

Old 10-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #1
Mayr
Connoisseur
Mayr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPhone 3Gs
Question for owners of iphone with jailbreak and that use the kindle app

HI there!
Since jailbreaking your iphone enables one to browse the various folders inside the iphone I was wondering if the ebooks downloaded using the kindle app are stored in the iphone in the regular kindle format.
To be more precise: Is there a folder in your iphone that contains the ebooks from amazon?
If so than one could simply "grab" them from the iphone and store the books in the pc.

Last edited by Mayr; 10-07-2009 at 07:52 PM.
Mayr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Yes, they are on the iPhone in the usual formats. However, all the ebooks have extension .prc (including TOPAZ ebooks) so be careful not to buy a TOPAZ ebook. The usual way to tell on the ebooks web page is that TOPAZ ebooks don't list their filesize.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #3
Mayr
Connoisseur

TOPAZ? and what is that?
So if I buy a book from amazon in the iphone I can then retrieve it via SSH and save it on my pc?
Old 10-07-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayr View Post
TOPAZ? and what is that?
A small percentage of Kindle ebooks are in the TOPAZ format. The rest are in AZW, which is the same as MOBI. You can get the ebook files from your iPhone, but you can't read TOPAZ ebooks on your PC and if an AZW ebook has DRM (i.e. is encrypted) you will need to use mobidedrm.py to strip the DRM before reading it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #5
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
The surest way to tell if an ebook is Topaz is to download the free sample and then check that on your computer.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-08-2009, 03:03 AM   #6
Mayr
Connoisseur

Thank you for the responses.
I was planing to read the books in my Sony 505 and not on my computer.
What's the path of the file that contains the books in the iPhone?

Old 10-08-2009, 08:02 AM   #7
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Thank you for the responses.
I was planing to read the books in my Sony 505 and not on my computer.
What's the path of the file that contains the books in the iPhone?

Hi,

See my post here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57286

"/User/Applications/96B0846D-F49A-4F96-8D08-90E1E9A4B09B/Documents/eBooks" is the folder on my iPhone; yours will have different folder; but it will always be /User/Applicationa/...your own folder, you have to find it.../Documents/eBooks

Hope this help.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
Mayr
Connoisseur

Yes that answered it completely thanks.
So just to clarify: I can buy books on my iphone, upload them to my pc, remove the DRM, convert them to LRF and read them in my Sony PRS-505 right?
Old 10-08-2009, 09:47 PM   #9
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Yes that answered it completely thanks.
So just to clarify: I can buy books on my iphone, upload them to my pc, remove the DRM, convert them to LRF and read them in my Sony PRS-505 right?
Yes, after you have ebook in your iPhone Kindle app, you can download it to your PC and do whatever you want.
Old 10-25-2009, 02:38 PM   #10
dmanukr
dmanukr began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
How to download from iphone

Thanks for this info, but what software or how do I browse iphone files and download kindle files exactly? I have a jailbroken phone but I suppose need advice how to access it properly without itunes, etc.
thanks
dmanukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:34 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
TOPAZ? and what is that?
So if I buy a book from amazon in the iphone I can then retrieve it via SSH and save it on my pc?
If you can buy them on your iPhone cant you just log on to your amazon account and download it to the computer?
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:40 PM   #12
dmanukr
dmanukr began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
download to computer

No unfortunately, it's only to iphone or kundle device. I have dld to my iphone, now trying to find the file on the iphone to transfer to pc
dmanukr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Mayr
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanukr View Post
Thanks for this info, but what software or how do I browse iphone files and download kindle files exactly? I have a jailbroken phone but I suppose need advice how to access it properly without itunes, etc.
thanks
You can use several ssh programs.
If you have a mac you can use cyberduck, if you work in windows winscp is the program for you.
To access the iphone file system you need to install openssh from cydia first.
Google it and you will find a lot of tutorials that explain how to do this.
Old 11-01-2009, 11:14 PM   #14
bthoven
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanukr View Post
No unfortunately, it's only to iphone or kundle device. I have dld to my iphone, now trying to find the file on the iphone to transfer to pc
see my thread here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57286

You need only iPhonebrowser on your PC.