Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by griffonwing View Post
I am an ignoramus in most subjects, and a genius in only one. You could say I am a genius at being an ignoramus.
LOL that's a good one.

Actually I give Amazon much more credit their solution was spot on, people just don't give them enough credit. They have all the recipe for success--Easy to use, convenient, easy to purchase, easy to download, and economical priced merchandise.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 06:41 PM   #17
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
LOL that's a good one.

Actually I give Amazon much more credit their solution was spot on, people just don't give them enough credit. They have all the recipe for success--Easy to use, convenient, easy to purchase, easy to download, and economical priced merchandise.

=X=
I think all they really need to work on is "Boundary". Their current newsworthiness reflects this.

Also, on a slightly lesser extent, aestetics. Hide the keyboard in a slideout so you use it only when needed.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-27-2009, 06:59 PM   #18
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I think all they really need to work on is "Boundary". Their current newsworthiness reflects this.

Also, on a slightly lesser extent, aestetics. Hide the keyboard in a slideout so you use it only when needed.
You know Americans have always been given the bad wrap of wanting everything yesterday. Amazon's "Boundary" issue goes to show you we all bleed the same color.

It would be a bad business decision of Amazon tried to deploy everything in one year. People don't realize the extent of how they've changed the business they have done such a great job in making their product seamless they don't see the huge infrastructure underneath the product.

If they rush a solution and botch it up the people will be less forgiving than having to wait up to a year.

Look what happened to RIM (BlackBerry) with their Storm. In order to compete with the iPhone they rushed a device too early to the market and have gotten tones of bad press for it.

Quote:
Good point, Amazon is not a hardware company this will take them a while to understand, but they are improving. Remember the first kindle that was considered to be a five beer girl.

=X=
Old 07-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #19
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Good point, Amazon is not a hardware company this will take them a while to understand, but they are improving. Remember the first kindle that was considered to be a five beer girl.

=X=
Hehe.. that's the first I've heard that, but how true.
Old 07-28-2009, 02:19 AM   #20
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
The response to this thread is better than I ever imagined. Thank you - all.

I was NOT aware of the EZ Reader Pocket PRO. It seems to be a fine device with plenty going for it. Dimention-wise, it is VERY close to the Opus:

Opus - 108 x 151 x 10 mm - 150g
PEZ - 105 x 151 x 10 - 160g

The difference there is insignificant until you consider that the Opus has smooth curves. Still, not unough difference matter.

I get my tech news from Engadet.com. I scan it once a day and count on them to warn me of new-cool-stuff. They haven't mentioned it, and the only reference to it on their entire site is a comment by 'robertb' under the BeBook Mini entry. Engadget had been pretty good about capturing e-reader news.

Any hint or rumors as to when the p-reader pro will be availble?
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-28-2009, 03:33 AM   #21
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEMelby View Post

The difference there is insignificant until you consider that the Opus has smooth curves. Still, not unough difference matter.
Another difference is Epson display controller that Pocket Pro (Hanlin V5) has.

Yet another little bit to sweeten the deal is the cover. RobertB claims their cover will be made of genuine leather, Opus cover is made from PU leather. The cover does make a great difference when you plan to use your reader for several years every single day. I can see that on my Sony Reader PRS-500. The inside of cover (made from a kind of faux leather) has started to disintegrate.

You also get charger with Hanlin V5.

I am not sure if Opus has replaceable battery, Hanlin V5 does have one.
--- Edit 2 ---
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
The Opus has a user replaceable battery, we have seen it at the Paris apéro with Bookeen.
--- end of Edit 2 ---

I expect there will be version of OpenInkpot (open source firmware that is getting better and better) for Hanlin V5. Hanlin V3 hardware is the best supported by OpenInkpot.

Oh, did I mention Text To speech?
You do not have to listen to the robotic voice. You can start TTS, turn the volume down and enjoy the auto-page-advance that depends on how much text is on the page. Cool!

--- Edit 1 begins ---
Hanlin V5 has a little wheel at the right edge for page advance. See detailed photo at www.jinke.cz . Both models (Netronix and Jinke) can turn the display upside down so the the page advance buttons can be on the most comfortable side for holding the device.
--- Edit 1 Ends ---

I would definitely wait until we have hands-on reviews, photos, videos from *both* camps. I want to see how much "instantenous" the page turn with the Epson controller is. I want a confirmation that the Hanlin cover (outside and inside lining) is really made from animal hide.

Last edited by kacir; 07-28-2009 at 03:54 AM.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 AM   #22
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Czech company that sells Hanlin V3 has received the first testing batch (see http://www.jinke.cz/products/Hanlin-V5/index.aspx ), and ordered the first serious shipment.
They plan to start selling at the beginning of August for 5938 Czech koruny = 331.952014 U.S. dollars (price is including 19% Value Added Tax).
Hanlin V5 can be already purchased directly from Jinke. There has already been a review in a thread here on mobilerad.
If you are from USA, I recommend you to wait for Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro. Buying from Astak will make the support and warranty issues much easier. Also price might be more interesting. Not to mention Astak has "Slate Blue" (Tm) model ;-)
Old 07-28-2009, 03:48 AM   #23
Gaurnim
Final Five n°42
Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.Gaurnim can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I am not sure if Opus has replaceable battery, Hanlin V5 does have one.
The Opus has a user replaceable battery, we have seen it at the Paris apéro with Bookeen.
Gaurnim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 03:52 AM   #24
kacir
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaurnim View Post
Great! I LOVE competition between gadget manufacturers
Old 07-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #25
=X=
Wizard

Quote:

I get my tech news from Engadet.com.
I've found engadet to not be just okay with reporting on eReading devices, they just cover the higher profile companies. I've found Mobilread and Teleread to be the best sites for covering eBook Reading devices. (jkontherun is also pretty good)

=X=
Old 07-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #26
JEMelby
Save the Stone Tablet
JEMelby began at the beginning.

Device: Coleco ADAM (With high-speed digital tape drive!)
Quote:
I've found engadet to not be just okay with reporting on eReading devices, they just cover the higher profile companies. I've found Mobilread and Teleread to be the best sites for covering eBook Reading devices. (jkontherun is also pretty good)

=X=
I read you loud and clear - However, Engadget is my "once a day" stop for ALL tech news. If I see something interesting mentioned in the ebook-world, I scoot over here for the deatails. A specilized site is ALWAYS going to be better at covering their chosen topic, and Mobileread is one of my bi-weekly stops.

Again - thanks for ALL the responses in this thread. I'm learning lots!
JEMelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:33 AM   #27
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I would definitely wait until we have hands-on reviews, photos, videos from *both* camps. I want to see how much "instantenous" the page turn with the Epson controller is. I want a confirmation that the Hanlin cover (outside and inside lining) is really made from animal hide.
When I get mine, I shall digest a small bite of the cover and let you know if I get any nutrition!
Old 07-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
The response to this thread is better than I ever imagined. Thank you - all.

I was NOT aware of the EZ Reader Pocket PRO. It seems to be a fine device with plenty going for it. Dimention-wise, it is VERY close to the Opus:

I get my tech news from Engadet.com. I scan it once a day and count on them to warn me of new-cool-stuff. They haven't mentioned it, and the only reference to it on their entire site is a comment by 'robertb' under the BeBook Mini entry. Engadget had been pretty good about capturing e-reader news.

With all that's being said, one must decide if the devise (of one's choice) is needed NOW, or to WAIT. This is an individual decision that no amount of hype (on ANY device) can overcome.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:54 AM   #29
MaggieScratch
Has got to the black veil
MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MaggieScratch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Paperwhite 2
It's our birthday present, precious, and we wants it, yes!

MaggieScratch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:56 AM   #30
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
With all that's being said, one must decide if the devise (of one's choice) is needed NOW, or to WAIT. This is an individual decision that no amount of hype (on ANY device) can overcome.

Don
Totally agree.

One of the things keeping me away from the Opus or SK*** devices is the nice white glossy Apple-type look. I want something that won't show my fingerprints, won't show every tiny scratch, won't reflect shiny into my eyes.

Also, do you 'need' wifi/3g? If yes, then by all means, get a device that suits your needs. I might could use wifi, i might use it now and then, but i don't need it, and i would rather not pay for it unless I actually would.