Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #1
macthekitten
Enthusiast
macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS700
Convert word DOCs when you don't have WORD ? heheh

HI

A friend mailed me some doc files I need to read, and since i don't have word on my mac i thought "hey my reader says it can handle doc files" i tried the drop thing, they don't show up, so i tried to convert in Calibre but that was no bueno

am i out of luck ?

thanks!

and yes it's 8 p.m. on a saturday night, and yes i'm at home with my reader LOL i suck i know!
macthekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:18 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
TextEdit is supposed to handle DOC files.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #3
kiklop74
Guru
kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.kiklop74 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by macthekitten View Post
HI

A friend mailed me some doc files I need to read, and since i don't have word on my mac i thought "hey my reader says it can handle doc files" i tried the drop thing, they don't show up, so i tried to convert in Calibre but that was no bueno
Install open office and you will be able to read word documents up to version 2003 I beleive.

http://www.openoffice.org/
kiklop74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 09:36 PM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by macthekitten View Post
If you check the small font in the "DOC support" text, you'll see that it says "MS Word required". In short, eBook Library software converts doc files to RTF which Reader can handle. Naturally, that works only on Windows.
So you can either ask your friend to send the files in RTF format, or convert them some other way.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
Smashwords
Connoisseur
Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smashwords ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
You could use Google Docs to open the file and then save it in a format you can read. http://docs.google.com

Or, you could download and install OpenOffice to open and save in a different format. http://www.openoffice.org/
Smashwords is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-25-2009, 07:56 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

I do nothing of the Mac, but if you can get your friend to re-email you the files but now in rtf format (he/she has just to save them again but in rtf) you can now read them without conversion in your prs 700 (it reads rtf files but does not “see” inside images in rtf’s) or convert them with Calibre.

Or… if you want to be autonomous in the future with zero costs, follow the above advice and get Openoffice (http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/), and you get a very good office software for free.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Banshay
Banshay began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise-1150, Sony PRS-505, Iphone 4, Ipad 1st Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smashwords View Post
You could use Google Docs to open the file and then save it in a format you can read. http://docs.google.com

Or, you could download and install OpenOffice to open and save in a different format. http://www.openoffice.org/
I like both, but the OP should note that there is a size limit on Google Docs- I think it's 500KB, so if she's looking to read something book length, she probably can't use Google Docs.
Banshay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #8
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Doesn't OOo support office 2007 documents now from version 3 onwards?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #9
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Yes it does.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:41 AM   #10
macthekitten
Enthusiast
macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.macthekitten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS700
it was book-length, and i used the advice somene gave of opening it in textedit, saving as a txt file, and then converted it! yay! it worked just great
macthekitten is offline   Reply With Quote