Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-22-2017, 02:03 PM   #46
NullNix
Guru
NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NullNix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Yes. If the light is too high, for me the contrast gets worse actually. Plus its annoying to see it glow. So I set my light below where I see it glow so to speak. It pretty much never goes above 10. That way I keep the contrast at the best level while having the backround just bright enough to read for me in inside light situations. It just looks like paper for me.
That is, I believe, the intended purpose of the light: I do the same. (So it's much higher under a cloudy day sky than indoors, and higher yet under sunlight -- or off entirely, if jacking it right up has no effect on the appearance of the screen! Indoors under bright lights is about 11; cloudy sky is about 15--17; sunlight 21+; night-time with the lights off is 5 to 7. Below 5 is too dark for me to read even in a pitch-dark room.)

Quote:
My husband uses my old Paperwhite and he has the light so high I can't even look at it at night. If I wanted to be blinded like that, I'd just use a tablet.
My dad keeps it on 24 all the time, even indoors. I cannot understand how he can look at it without being blinded.

Quote:
I personally had turned off the auto light on the Voyage. It worked ok for a while then every time I tilted towards a side lamp, it kept changing. I move around much when I read as to not get stiff. 10 is a good one to stay at for me. At night in bed I might go down to 9. So I just leave it at the same level most times.
You might find things changing on that front with the Oasis: I find that when one hand gets tired, I turn over and flip the Oasis so I can use the other hand.
NullNix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 07:12 PM   #47
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
This is not true. I own both, and I can say with certainty that the font is heavier on the Kindle Keyboard, which gives it the illusion that it's darker.

-HM
I'm just saying what I see in the posted picture
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-10-2017, 10:13 AM   #48
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHolyGrail View Post
Thanks for the photos, Hollow Man!

The Oasis is really the first Kindle I've been able to consider since the KK, because the page-turn buttons are such an important feature for me. (I'm an outlier though in my general discomfort with touchscreens; that would almost certainly pull me out of the reading experience.)

My only concern is the weight of the fonts, but it's good to know that you haven't found it to be too cumbersome of an adjustment.
Me too! I hate touchscreens!
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:15 AM   #49
Samantha45
Connoisseur
Samantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and graceSamantha45 herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHolyGrail View Post
This is very reassuring, along with Hollow Man's comments.

That's interesting, I'm the exact opposite. I almost never accidentally press a physical key on the Kindle, but on similarly-sized touchscreen devices I find myself accidentally hitting things on the screen constantly. I'm assuming this issue won't arise with the Oasis, though, because of how it's held.
me too. I really like the keyboard!!
Samantha45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:49 AM   #50
Hollow Man
Addict
Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hollow Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Keyboard, iPhone 13 Pro, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha45 View Post
me too. I really like the keyboard!!
My wife had a Kindle 2 and moved to the first Paperwhite when it came out. She misses the physical page buttons (but doesn't personally like the shape of the Oasis).

Any nitpicks I had earlier in this thread I don't think about anymore. The nicer fonts (kfx formatting is really great) and the front light make the experience. It's up to the individual user to decide which style (Paperwhite, Voyage, or Oasis) suits them.

But if one wants an Oasis, I say get it.

-HM
Hollow Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #51
Lady Stardust
User
Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Stardust ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Iphone, Kindle 3, PW1/2/3, KOA1/2/3, Aura HD/One/, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Using Calibre, you can easily embed the font of your choice if the eBook is DRM free. Give ChareInk a try.It's my modified version of Charis SIL that looks really good on eInk. I've upped the weight so it looks good on eInk.

See the following thread to get the font. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=184056
JSWolf, ChareInk is absolutely fantastic! On both Oasis and PW. I installed only bold and bold italic since I like fonts with weight and I got used to adding weight on Kobo.
Thank you so much
Lady Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:21 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Stardust View Post
JSWolf, ChareInk is absolutely fantastic! On both Oasis and PW. I installed only bold and bold italic since I like fonts with weight and I got used to adding weight on Kobo.
Thank you so much
I can create a version with even more weight for you so you can have all four versions. PM me if you'd like this and I'll link you back where to download.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 07:49 PM   #53
mystika1
Addict
mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mystika1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Air 2, , Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura H2Ov1, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I can create a version with even more weight for you so you can have all four versions. PM me if you'd like this and I'll link you back where to download.
Can I get this too!

mystika1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 06:34 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mystika1 View Post
Can I get this too!

Yes you can. Please PM so I don't forget.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #55
Kaysclie
Addict
Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kaysclie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Forma, Aura One,Ipad Pro 10.5, Oasis 3
I always use your ChareInk font and enjoy it very much
Could you please send me the link for the version with more weight? I am going to PM right now.

Beautiful font...Thank You!!

Last edited by Kaysclie; 03-14-2017 at 02:33 PM.
Kaysclie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:51 PM   #56
Coops
Zealot
Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.Coops will give the Devil his due.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Sony T3 backup
Hollow Man - if you like a heavier weight then get JSWolf's ChareInk font as in his post #45 on previous page.

Very highly recommend at least giving it a try on one book first.
Use Calibre to convert an epub to azw3, embed the ChareInk font ( and any other layout settings like opting to remove paragraph line gaps and use indents etc).

Make sure the book metadata language is English, then you can also apply the Calibre plug-in 'hyphenate this' to add hyphenation to it.

Send to your Oasis and open it and choose the publisher font and see how you like it - it is noticeably heavier line weight.
Coops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 06:14 PM   #57
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollow Man View Post
It's my personality, not the device.

I tried the Voyage. It was very similar, but with those haptic buttons, which I didn't like. I suspect the screen is exactly the same (although possibly a little darker with the fonts if inspected closely, which some here have stated).

i.e. going to a Voyage won't change the fact that I'll still examine it with a sharp eye and find so called "faults".

-HM
Just like me! I recently decided not to get a new refrigerator. My old one has little nicks. I don't need to worry about the new one getting nicks. My personality takes all the fun out of getting something new.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote