Notices

Old 05-03-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
CiaraG
Enthusiast
CiaraG began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Screen Problem

Hi Guys,

Turned on the Cybook this morning and the bottom half of the screen is a mess - lines running through it. Have rebooted & reset and nothing has improved. Now it even has the lines on it when the screen is blanked.

Here's a few pics of it. Has anyone else experienced this? Really don't want to have to send it back for repair!

Regards
Ciara.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00021.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	12576   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00020.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	12577   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00018.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	12578   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00017.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	12579  
CiaraG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 08:40 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'm afraid that it looks very much like a broken substrate. The screen has a very thin glass layer under the plastic. If you put pressure on it, it easily fractures. It's not repairable - it needs a new screen which will probably cost about two thirds the cost of a new machine - and it's not covered under warranty because it's caused by an impact to the Gen3 or pressure on the screen.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But it cannot hurt to contact Bookeen and see if they will do a warranty replacement.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It needs to be sent back to Bookeen, certainly. They can then assess it and ascertain what the problem is. I can only go from the fact that the curved lines on the screen and the displacement of the image do, regretably, look just like those which result from a substrate fracture.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have to agree with HarryT. It does look like a cracked screen. Even though you cannot seer the cracks, they would appear underneath.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Damn, I really didn't want to hear that! Figured I would have to send it back though. Have emailed the photos to Bookeen and am waiting on their response.

Can't understand how it happened. I haven't dropped it or anything. I literally just turned it on this morning and that was the result. I would hope that Bookeen would replace / fix under warranty.

Well, that's just ruined my bank holiday weekend! I was all set with about 8 new books to read. Looks like I'll be commandeering the laptop again!

C.
Old 05-04-2008, 02:50 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Hopefully I'm wrong, and it will be repairable under warranty, but I'm afraid that it undoubtedly does need to be returned to Bookeen. Sorry .
Old 05-14-2008, 12:16 PM   #8
CiaraG
Enthusiast

Thumbs up Update on Screen Problem

Just thought I'd let you guys know what happened.

I sent the Cybook back to Bookeen and indeed the screen had been damaged. Unfortunately, this is the one part which is not covered under warranty and there is a charge of 120.00 euro to replace it (I knew this before sending the unit back).

I have to say that contrary to what I have read on other posts on the forum, my experience with the service from Bookeen has been very good. All emails were answered quickly and helpfully and when I explained that I really needed my Cybook back before I went away in a couple of weeks, they assured me they would do their best to repair / replace quickly. My replacement is now ready, which is really quick service

So, outside of the 120.00 euro cost, I'm a happy bunny. Lesson learned - keep Cybook away from other family members!!!!! :

Ciara.
Old 05-14-2008, 12:21 PM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

That's very good news - thanks for letting us know! Did you ever work out how the screen had become damaged?
Old 05-14-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
alia
Bookworm
alia began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen 3
That looks like my sister's screen after she dropped it from a pretty high distance. It's why I bought the additional 2-year Cybook accidental damage plan from BooksOnBoard... I haven't had to use it yet, but the screens are fragile so I figure it's a good investment (especially with exchange rates what they are right now... for 120 euros I could almost buy a new Cybook! yikes). My interactions with Bookeen have also been good (and yes, they do speak English), although I usually just direct questions to BoB bc it's faster.
alia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia View Post
for 120 euros I could almost buy a new Cybook! yikes
The price new is €290, excluding VAT, so I think that €120 for a new screen - under half the price of the new machine - is actually a very fair one. Especially if you compare with some other manufactuers - eg Amazon don't offer ANY type of repair service for the Kindle!
Old 05-14-2008, 03:19 PM   #12
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiaraG View Post
J
I sent the Cybook back to Bookeen and indeed the screen had been damaged. Unfortunately, this is the one part which is not covered under warranty and there is a charge of 120.00 euro to replace it (I knew this before sending the unit back).
If it just breaks with normal use it is covered by warranty or EU regulation.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote